Notices

Are there "good" addictions?

Old 07-02-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are there "good" addictions?

I got a message that told me I should post- and well, I DO have a bunch of questions-but I'll focus on one for now:

I've been sober 23 days (yay!) now. I've been using SR, the chat rooms and books as support. I DO plan to attend an AA meeting this weekend.

I've been reading In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts (it was recommended by posters on this board) and Mate the author talks about the physiological and psychological sources of addiction (very, very good). I've been able to recognize quite a few actions and thought processes that are addictive in nature in addition to alcohol (my DOC).

So a couple of days ago I got a new pulp horror book (Stephen King) from the library. I commenced to reading it all day for the last two days with minimal interruption and finished it last night.

This morning I woke up slightly cranky, unmotivated and in an emotional space quite similar to a hangover and I wonder if my behavior in reading the book was the same as when I was drinking. The way I read the book and my attitude today makes me wonder if the same addiction mechanisms were at work. Since I'm terrible at moderating most pleasurable things, does this consign me to read slightly boring and edifying books now? Is bingeing on a book even a thing?

What are your opinions?
Old 07-02-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would Lean toward you just still feeling some lingering withdrawals. Addiction to anything can be detrimental, but I honestly am not sure that book icoud cause a hangover?
Old 07-02-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not a physical hangover, but more like a psychological state of mind.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Yes there is! God created us w/ an addictive nature not for external substances but for Him. Ecl 12:13. That's why no matter what we try, try to moderate etc will never fill that void
Old 07-02-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, Newcreation, I don't believe in a Christian God, though!
Old 07-02-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think motivation and intention behind the behavior is what to look at maybe? If I read a book in order to avoid doing some other things that are more important, and I do this often, in a pattern... maybe that's something to look into.

I have an information addiction that I have to really stay on top of. So I do know where you might be coming from. Seeking information isn't a bad thing but when I do that most of the day and don't get some other more important things done, it's a problem.

Reading a book every now and then to relax, escape, and enjoy the book... that's healthy. Just look at your patterns over the long haul, and examine if you enjoy the behavior... or if it's more of a compulsion and avoidance tactic.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Thursdays - you probably just messed up your bodies own sleep/wake rhythms by pushing through sleep instead of sleeping. Yes, there is such a thing as bingeing on books...bingeing on anything, really. A psychiatrist once told me, when I asked the very same question, that anything which interferes with basic needs...bad. You have to take care of yourself! Even though there is nothing like starting a book and reading all the way to conclusion because it is that great

Old 07-02-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys! Lord knows I haven't read a good SK novel in years because of the drunkeness and passing out and whatnot!

Last edited by Thursdays; 07-02-2014 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Unfinished
Old 07-02-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
pray for strength

BTW - Nice job on 23 Days sober Thursdays. That's huge

When I have those 'off' days, I've found that drinking a lot of water and getting my blood flowing with a great walk or running around helps feel better. Sleep is so important though (I'm a total night owl in an early morning world right now...so I'm not really one to talk).

Stay strong and nice to meet you

Old 07-02-2014, 10:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Weird feelings and moods can be caused by many things, including changes in our routine and physiology. I doubt that binge reading would cause a hangover akin to an alcoholic hangover, but if you disrupted your sleep, diet, or other basic needs, maybe that's part of it. Maybe it's something completely different.

I agree with what SoberJennie said above about judging whether an activity is positive or disruptive.

As for "good addictions", I know what you mean, but in the strict sense of the term "addiction", it cannot really be good by definition, because that involves "the continued repetition of a behavior despite adverse consequences". I would not consider an activity or behavior good if it has harmful consequences.
Maybe you confuse passion with addiction here?
Old 07-02-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1newcreation View Post
Yes there is! God created us w/ an addictive nature not for external substances but for Him. Ecl 12:13. That's why no matter what we try, try to moderate etc will never fill that void

I love that!!!
Old 07-02-2014, 10:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

23 days! Nice!
Old 07-03-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
totfit

Probably just need to include some exercise with your reading. A healthy amount of exercise, proper rest and a good diet can do wonders for mood and outlook. Sometimes also I just feel "funky". Don't think it has anything at all to do with a "void" not filled by "god".
Old 07-03-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thursdays View Post
I got a message that told me I should post- and well, I DO have a bunch of questions-but I'll focus on one for now:

I've been sober 23 days (yay!) now. I've been using SR, the chat rooms and books as support. I DO plan to attend an AA meeting this weekend.

I've been reading In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts (it was recommended by posters on this board) and Mate the author talks about the physiological and psychological sources of addiction (very, very good). I've been able to recognize quite a few actions and thought processes that are addictive in nature in addition to alcohol (my DOC).

So a couple of days ago I got a new pulp horror book (Stephen King) from the library. I commenced to reading it all day for the last two days with minimal interruption and finished it last night.

This morning I woke up slightly cranky, unmotivated and in an emotional space quite similar to a hangover and I wonder if my behavior in reading the book was the same as when I was drinking. The way I read the book and my attitude today makes me wonder if the same addiction mechanisms were at work. Since I'm terrible at moderating most pleasurable things, does this consign me to read slightly boring and edifying books now? Is bingeing on a book even a thing?

What are your opinions?
First I am a huge fan of Mate's book In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts. In fact, I would say that book helped change my life by better understanding addiction in the early stages of my recovery.

Addictions as Mate points out are things that steal from your life. Hobbies are things that add to your life. Reading a horror book might be adding to your vocabulary in a positive way. I doubt its an addiction, particularly after one night. Howeveer, if you find that you cannot function because you read fictional books all the time and need to escape reality then maybe it is somethign to look more closely at?

There is a saying in recovery that if the house is burning you don't want to concern yourself if the couch matches the drapes. Prioritze you addictions and deal with the most deadly first and then over time with a clearer head you can begin to phase out unhealthy aspects of your life. Mate also recomends this method.

Good luck and stick around:-)
Old 07-03-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

"Good" addictions? Of course there are!

Let's see........

1. reading
2. exercise
3. "health nut" behavior/healthy food obsession
4. internet (people who spend more time online tend to be smarter, better-informed, higher IQ)
5. making money/greed/avarice
6. "neat freak" behavior
7. video games (up to a certain point, they are cheap and risk-free entertainment)
8. pretty much any hobby that gets you out of the house and interacting with other people
9. coffee (productivity-booster)

to re-cap on the "bad" addictions..........

1. alcohol
2. all "other" drugs which also cause physical dependence
3. smoking
4. sugar
5. TV watching (TV is bad for your brain)
6. fast-food/junk food habits
7. video games (past that certain point, certain games can just be a giant black hole for your time)

There's a good and bad side to everything it seems, even addictions. Some "addictions", like the ones i outlined in the first list, actually add value to and enhance your life.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grubby View Post
"Good" addictions? Of course there are!

Let's see........

1. reading
2. exercise
3. "health nut" behavior/healthy food obsession
4. internet (people who spend more time online tend to be smarter, better-informed, higher IQ)
5. making money/greed/avarice
6. "neat freak" behavior
7. video games (up to a certain point, they are cheap and risk-free entertainment)
8. pretty much any hobby that gets you out of the house and interacting with other people
9. coffee (productivity-booster)

to re-cap on the "bad" addictions..........

1. alcohol
2. all "other" drugs which also cause physical dependence
3. smoking
4. sugar
5. TV watching (TV is bad for your brain)
6. fast-food/junk food habits
7. video games (past that certain point, certain games can just be a giant black hole for your time)

There's a good and bad side to everything it seems, even addictions. Some "addictions", like the ones i outlined in the first list, actually add value to and enhance your life.

Not to nitpick but a hobby adds to your life and an addcition takes away. There is never such thing as a good addiciton. The basic definition of addiction is the repeated use of a substance or behavior despite knowingly bad consequences. Therefore, you cannot have a good addiciton.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats on 23 days....and to be honest, if reading is keeping you away from booze for now, in the early days, that can only be a good thing!

When getting sober, I've noticed mood swings, or malaise is a bit more prevalent at times. But I accept my body is going through massive changes trying to regulate itself back to "normal". I can also find vivid dreams can affect me much more now and I had one a few weeks ago, that left me totally drained....almost hungover as you described, for an entire day.

It was not pleasant.

Now I understand when these episodes happen they are probably my body healing, they don't worry me as much.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Feeling happens--more-so w/out the booze--like a pendulum. Otherwise known as being human and with practice becomes preferable to being blotto. I'm with you tho--being sentient after a long period of predictable inebriation is a bit much sometimes--even joy. As for healthy habits, one need not be a rocket surgeon to choose. Best wishes..
Old 07-04-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Not to nitpick but a hobby adds to your life and an addcition takes away. There is never such thing as a good addiciton. The basic definition of addiction is the repeated use of a substance or behavior despite knowingly bad consequences. Therefore, you cannot have a good addiciton.
Spot on, in fact, as someone with an addictive personality I'm constantly having to reign myself in with hobbies. Fizzy pop was my latest one, I started drinking it as a treat when I wanted alcohol then had to cut back when I realised I was on liters of the stuff a day. Exercise addiction is also a serious thing with real consequences.

Everything in moderation. Easy to learn, impossible to master.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the responses. Warning- aimless musings follow....

The Mate book has been fantastic- edifying and well written.... but not binge-worthy!!!!

It's been interesting- this sort of clarity that I've rediscovered. I'm sure I had it pre-alcoholism, but in a more immature way (I'm a late bloomer). And with Mate's book and some other life experiences I've been noticing all sorts of interesting things: how I interact/react with people; how other people interact/react with people; my relationships with people that I hadn't been able to reflect on due to my drinking.

So, noticing how I felt emotionally the day after I binge-read the novel, was well, novel.

Mate talks about his addiction to classical music- he doesn't try to say it's as harmful as drugs, but he does observe and reflect on his motivations for bingeing and his feelings of compulsion, shame and guilt after going on a buying binge and how it affects his relationships with his family. That's what clued me in to my binge-reading...

Now, moderating the reward-seeking behavior of binge-reading is an interesting thing- so, even if it's a "good activity" (like reading), I must build in work-for-reward diversions in order to break up or moderate the reward (reading).

I think grubby's post was a little tongue-in-cheek. Reading his/her post and other's posts buttressed what Mr. Ben said: everything in moderation.

Everything in moderation BECAUSE doing something, ANYTHING, to the exclusion of other things is self-destructive.

Thanks again, folks!