Notices

In Need of Support

Old 06-28-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In Need of Support

Hello All,
I'm am 48hrs sober after an extreme binge. Luckily my livelihood was not tarnished but I'm suffering from a great deal of humiliation and embarrassment. Just the thought of what my actions could've caused has had me sick. I would appreciate your words of encouragement and any advice.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard EJM
The really good news is you never have to feel this way again

Have you got any plan or any ideas on how you'll stay sober?

D
Old 06-28-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome EJM! You've come to the right place. I think we all know how you feel, even though all our stories are a little different. Yes, you feel sick about what you "could've caused", but it might help to focus more on the fact that you didn't! Whatever it was. You were lucky this time and let that fuel your road to recovery.

After my last binge, I fell into a funk for several days. Then I read stuff about alcohol addiction, withdrawal, and came back to posting here. Regardless of what is happening in your life, know that your feelings are also a side effect of your brain trying to get back to normal. It sucks, but you'll get through it!
Old 06-28-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee74,

I am still trying to figure out the best approach. I don't have a constant urge to drink, at most I drink once a week. I can also go months without. But when I do drink there's a great chance that I will binge. I have had many incidents leading up to my most recent screw up. This time it was a major blackout that my neighbor had to enlighten me about. I spoke with my dad who has been 28 years sober and we went to an AA meeting together. Any advice as to what route to take?
Old 06-28-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me, successful recovery boiled down to me finding the right of support, and being prepared to make whatever changes were necessary in my life to stay sober

AA is a road many take - it certainly offers constant support no matter where you are in the world.

There's lots of support here too EJM - check out our Class of June support thread

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-3-a-6.html

D
Old 06-28-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NightsWatch View Post
After my last binge, I fell into a funk for several days. Then I read stuff about alcohol addiction, withdrawal, and came back to posting here. Regardless of what is happening in your life, know that your feelings are also a side effect of your brain trying to get back to normal. It sucks, but you'll get through it!
Thanks for the insight. I think this site will help me to make the changes needed to live a happy and sober life.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're doing it friend! 48 hours, 48 hours of being clear headed, 48 hours of achieving the impossible, buy you my friend made it possible. Life isn't easy and neither is being sober, I drank daily for ages, but have a start.

Let celebrate the goodness that you've achieved, binges are rough and I am sure you are still feeling the affects. Hand in their, life has more to offer, I am not so sober myself, but I want this and by the sounds of it so do you. Lets get sober and laugh at this moment in our life one day. Stay safe and sober my friend you and I can do this... You matter, no matter what, remember that
Old 06-28-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thatdeliveryguy View Post
You're doing it friend! 48 hours, 48 hours of being clear headed, 48 hours of achieving the impossible, buy you my friend made it possible. Life isn't easy and neither is being sober, I drank daily for ages, but have a start. Let celebrate the goodness that you've achieved, binges are rough and I am sure you are still feeling the affects. Hand in their, life has more to offer, I am not so sober myself, but I want this and by the sounds of it so do you. Lets get sober and laugh at this moment in our life one day. Stay safe and sober my friend you and I can do this... You matter, no matter what, remember that
Thanks!! That was inspiring. Thanks for the support and yes! we both will get through this. One day at a time.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thank your lucky stars you didn't lose your job over this episode. take it as a wake up call. a free pass if you will. I wasn't so lucky. But I'm sober now and that's what counts.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
thank your lucky stars you didn't lose your job over this episode. take it as a wake up call. a free pass if you will. I wasn't so lucky. But I'm sober now and that's what counts.
Absolutely , I am overjoyed with thanks. The path we chose is a very destructive one and only bad things can come out of it. No matter the degree we are both lucky to be able to be speaking with each other right now. Luckily we have made the decision to chose a path that will keep us healthy and happy.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EJM824 View Post
Any advice as to what route to take?
There are lots of approaches to sobriety: AA, AVRT, therapists, etc. Check out the various forums on SR and see which one(s) speak to you.

The thing that I think is important to remember is that your solution has to be stronger than the problem. I heard in an AA meeting once "if you ever forget your last drunk, you probably haven't had it yet." Whether you are a daily drinker or an infrequent but blackout type, the disease never goes away, therefore your recovery should never be taken for granted.

Whatever path you choose to get sober, actively maintain it. I've seen too many people relapse because they believed that their sobriety was assured based on history. It doesn't seem to work that way.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad your here EJM- Great support here!
Old 06-28-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's great you are here. Stay close.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thank you for you post
when i read a post were people are coming out of what they did the night before and have to face the horror of what they did, it just is a huge reminder of how i was and how i never want to be again

the problem is when the fear dies down and the dust settles on what i did i would end up in time drinking again and doing it all over again and then swearing off the drink again and again
its an onward cycle for me if i drink

the only way i can make sure i wake up in the mornings with a clear head and to have no bad memories or trying to remember what i did last night is to not pick up that first drink
i can not get drunk if i dont pick up the first drink

i know that all sounds simple but its proved to be one of the hardest things i could ever do in life is not pick up that first drink

so for me i see it this way i dont want to be like you are right now with the shame and guilt etc so drink will give me that without doubt
no drink = no guilt shame or remorse
good luck to you
Old 06-28-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say "welcome" to you EJM. I really hope that how you feel right now simply transforms itself into a resolve to begin your sobriety efforts today!

How fortunate you did not lose your job..or worse. Please do not continue to test fate my friend.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desypete View Post
no drink = no guilt shame or remorse good luck to you
Simple and straight to the point. Wish it were that simple to put into action but you guys are keeping me optimistic and confident. I am so happy that I ignored my apprehension and signed up for this forum. Just to be in the company of so many others going through the battles keeps me from going over the edge.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Hi EJM and welcome. I have found that being absolutely honest with myself and accepting the ultimate truth of my situation has helped me a great deal. I am an alcoholic. I absolutely cannot drink. I can't predict what happens when I drink. I may be able to get away with it a few times but eventually, my drinking will catch up to me. I have come to accept myself for who I am. I have to keep this in mind all the time otherwise, I risk telling myself lies and believing them. I simply cannot drink even one drink. Drinking always brings me ruin in the end.

It helps me to talk to other sober alcoholics. If I ever start thinking that maybe I've finally gotten this alcohol thing figured out, I talk to another alcoholic and run that past them. I admit my feelings and speak honestly. Obviously, I get my head straightened out and get set back on my feet. Honesty, truth and acceptance. Simple principles but powerful. I'm not perfect but I'm a lot better than I was!
Old 06-28-2014, 10:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome, EJM! You're doing great! We all have to start somewhere, and the sooner we begin, the sooner we can move forward on our paths of sobriety.

I'm very new in my recovery too, 27 days, but I can tell you that you will feel better. While I don't feel as emotionally wrecked as I did in my first 48 hours of abstinence, I really needed to read your post tonight to remember that this is an ever-changing journey. And that's what's so great about SR; we're all here to share our stories and support each other, and in that we can derive great strength.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks Everyone, I really needed this forum as a means to successfully recover.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EJM824 View Post
I don't have a constant urge to drink, at most I drink once a week. I can also go months without. But when I do drink there's a great chance that I will binge.
This is the same situation I find myself in. There is no constant urge, but I use alcohol to bury emotions and feel dependent upon it to have a "good time". I have come to realise that these "good times" are nothing more than self-destructive binges.

I am quickly learning there are many different situations present on SR but by sharing our negatives hopefully we will all be able to enjoy the positive future that so many people are achieving.

Stay strong!