Notices

Money spent drinking..

Old 06-28-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Money spent drinking..

I know this has been done before, but I thought it would help me to calculate how much my husband and I spent on drinking over a 2 month period. We were nearly daily drinkers and typically drank about a 6 pack of beer each. I know this isn't a huge amount, but I was blacking out pretty much every time. I used the bank account record and added it up best I could including convenience stores and expensive nights out. I got about $830!! IN 2 MONTHS! At $400 a month, that's right around $5000 a year (though I know it must be more when you factor in holidays and vacation. Unbelievable!

Have any of you added up your drinking's financial costs? I found it helpful to know we can at least be saving half that $ with me not drinking.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

My DUI alone last year was a grand total of about $7000. When I went to pay the balance of $2300.00 to the court, the lady said "isn't that a great feeling", I said no, taking all three of my Sons to Disneyland twice & a trip to an island by myself would have been a great feeling.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah mine when I worked it out was about $100 a week, so $5200 per year minimum, this is only based on my regular drinking each week, so it excludes social events, Xmas, New Years, birthdays, weddings, St Patrick's day etc!!

But add in cost of cabs, damaged phones etc etc, the cost of my drinking starts to increase even further.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've done the math in my head. Probably came out to a minimum of $1K/year on the conservative end...$1.5K is actually more likely, and if I hadn't come to my senses and quit I'd probably be headed toward $2K or more each year, easily. And it only would be that low because I tended to buy the cheapest low-end stuff imaginable. Those are just the direct costs of actually purchasing the alcohol. If you factor in the indirect costs such as medical care, dental care, and other health-related needs....well, it gets a whole lot higher.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

it adds up fast. l bet some people could finance a new car on monthly payments
Old 06-28-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

one of the exercises in the 'first step' workbook that my sponsor gave me is a financial analysis.... how much you spent on booze, how much on 'collateral damage' - like the fees associated with my two DUIs (upwards of ten grand), medical costs associated with screwing oneself up while drinking.... then of course considering things like opportunity cost (costs of things paid for but missed because of drinking, replacement costs of breaking **** while drinking... etc). Over a 25+ year drinking career - it's hundreds of thousands of dollars. It's staggering.

Not to mention the dumb things you spend money on when drinking - lousy food at bars, purchases of crap you didn't need, buying others rounds.... SO much spent buying others rounds. For some of us, really dumb expenditures like strip clubs... gambling... cigarettes.... all crap that were it not for booze, would not even have been in my life. Hell.... I'll bet the reality of all direct and indirect costs is close to a million bucks. Or at least COULD have been a million bucks if it had all been invested in a diversified long term porfolio instead of poured down my throat.

It's ridiculous.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I never did strip clubs or gambling, but I too am in the hundreds of thousands over the years. The worst part is how much I lost in future earnings - based on the job I lost. A LOT!

The best part is, I don't have to worry about it anymore. I'm happy with what I've got.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ahhh yes.. The DUI cost! My husband got one Feb 2013. That alone is about 5 grand, and he's still paying for probation monthly. Thanks for contributing to the thread, y'all!
Old 06-28-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

$250 - $300 per month for me.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Songtx, FANTASTIC. I figure my 42 years chemical substance bill is about $300,000. Guess who doesn't have a retirement. Rootin for ya.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I could easily have made car payments on a pretty decent car with what I was spending.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

I think I was at about $100-$120 a week. 3-4 bottles of decent Scotch. I've been thinking about saving an extra $100 a week now. That would be $5200 a year! I can think of a million things I could do with that money much more fun and useful than getting wasted every night.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I haven't truly done the math yet...but quick, back of the envelope calculation -- $200/week is probably conservative. If I add up 2 bottles of wine or the bottle of vodka, that's about $20/day...and that's when I drank at home. Going out, a night would easily be $100 alone (not counting dinner), not to mention $40+ on cabs.

The other day I felt like I was spending more money since I stopped drinking on things like movies, plays, sparkling water, actually grocery shopping....and then I realized it still wasn't as much as I whatever poison I picked for the day/night.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Im so enjoying spending the money I would have spent on booze and take aways, and taxis , I think I spent £200 to £300 a month this is now being spent on catching up with friends, girlie lunches, new clothes, even had my car serviced and cleaned. life's good without booze
Old 06-28-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no idea how much I spent songtx but I know my life is a lot more comfortable now

D