Notices

Though time

Old 06-27-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Though time

I'm new to SR but I need experience, strength , and hope. I am being retired out of a job I've had for the last 28 yrs. I am 11 months sober but I'm having a hard time living life on life's terms. I'm angry, sad, and the fear of financial problems has me sick. Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi kamcollum - welcome.

I was retired too from an academic character, by ill health. I fell apart a little, but at the time I didn't have this community to fall back on.

You do

Please do use us - you'll find a lot of support and encouragement here

D
Old 06-27-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum kamcollum!!
Old 06-27-2014, 05:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hello, I'm new too.

I hope you will have the same initial experience as me, everyone here is wonderful, the support is second to none and I've been made to feel very welcome.

Keep reading and posting, it can only help you feel less alone and more in control. Much love, TT.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Kam! Welcome, it is uber helpful here. You can do it and everyone here will help!
Old 06-27-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi kam welcome, and well done for your 11 months that's great.. I hear what you are saying, Im 58 and trying to get work. I have many days of whats the point and cant be bothered but please don't take that first drink its so not worth it. Post often and I know its hard but try to stay positive as you never know whats round the corner
Old 06-27-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I was knocked out of my career by a severe injury. Now I'm on disability and have every day to fill.
I don't do it by drinking, which I was a full blown alcoholic for 23 years.
I've found I don't need to drink to fill the days. I have little money and no hope of finding a fulfilling job.
I try not to let it get me down. I now know a drink is going to ruin my life. I can't even have one. Never have.

Now, I find lots of ways to fill my days. I love life sober. Every day is a gift. Even if I'm bored . It's been three and a half years since my last drink. All I need to stay sober is to remember my drinking days and come here and read and post.
For years I was either drunk or recovering from one. It was a nightmare.
Eleven months is great. Please don't fall back into your old ways. I've been there many times and the remorse and guilt were overwhelming.

Stay sober. Keep your chin up. Life has a way of working out. And I hope it happens for you.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Welcome kam!

This place is great to experience, strength and hope. Are you in a program?

I know a woman who was retired and something happened with her husband's pension, can't remember the details and she was also scared financially and found a job in a recovery office working part time. It is awesome to see her, I think relieved is the best word. Not sure you your circumstances or why you're being retired but glad you're here and congrats in 11 months.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I'm in the program and I attend 4 meetings a week and I have a sponsor. My sponsor wants me to lead the discussion at tomorrow's meeting and now I'm freaked because I've never lead a meeting.

off topic- does anyone know how I can change my username to something more anonymous?
Old 06-27-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

You need to contact 'Anna' our friendly Admin with your preferred new name.

As you haven't got enough posts to send her a Private Message you can contact her on the Contact Us Link

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - Contact Us

D
Old 06-27-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Kam, there are always people there will listen and give advice here. As Dee say, you have come to the right place.....
Old 06-27-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober time and welcome to the SR family.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

After years and years of anesthetizing problems, stresses, and anxieties with alcohol, never, not once, has it made them better, only much much worse. The time of "escape" you might crave is not worth it. Anything else you can find to carry you through this time - physical activities, finding a hobby, talking to people, anything else will be better than starting to drink again. Stay strong! Best of luck on leading the meeting tomorrow, you'll do great.