Notices

CaBREWing to canoeing

Old 06-21-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

CaBREWing to canoeing

I've been "cabrewing" since I was a freshman in high school...I live in an extremely small farm village and there's not much to do around here but drink, so a big group of people always get the canoes and go down the river and get wasted...a large groups of people asked me to go Tuesday and I'm down for till.I feel good that people are still including me, but I am afraid it will be too hard for me to not drink, and I also don't want to get stuck driving everyone home because there are at least 20 people going :-/
Old 06-21-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey br33zyjbaby, for me when I got Sober I needed to make some changes to my lifestyle.

I know what you mean when you say there isn't much to do in small villages, I come from one myself, but we need to get past that and not reserve ourselves to "there is no way I can't drink in my current situation", we need to carve out a new lifestyle no matter what.

It is difficult, the local pubs are where it's at in my home village, it's a very typical Irish village where the Guinness is flowing at all times, but I can't remember the last time I stepped inside one, cabrewing might be one of those similar activities that you need to evaluate and decide if it is something you might have to let go.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, it's not easy to face, but sometimes there are major changes that we need to make in order to recover.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

True. I know if I packed a cooler full of Busch NA I'd be okay....I just don't necessarily want to deal with that many drunk people at one time because I guarantee I'll be the only sober one, and let's be honest I work in a bar 5 days a week....I do that enough lol
Old 06-21-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd say consider the real purpose of the trip...is the canoeing actually something you would enjoy, or is it mainly just a drinking trip that happens to take place in canoes? If it's the former, going along and facing the challenge of being around alcohol might be worth it. If it's the latter there is really no valid reason to go.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like you don't really want to go, so don't go : ) There has to be some way to have fun without including alcohol, even in small farming communities.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Try kayaking.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :-) I really do enjoy canoeing, but maybe I will reconsider and take my kayak solo. :-)
Old 06-22-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That would be a good idea for now.

You don't want to have any setbacks.