Notices

What constitutes a relapse?

Old 06-20-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What constitutes a relapse?

I have a few of my mother's old books around and one of them is the novelization of the film "Days of Wine and Roses." I've been rereading it, and one scene struck me--the protagonist, Joe Clay, has been sober for a number of months and going to AA. His estranged wife, Kirsten, is still drinking, and one night he's called by a motel manager saying that Kirsten has been drunk and someone needs to settle the bill. He comes out and he ends up getting drunk with Kirsten. When he comes to, he immediately calls his sponsor but continues to drink until his sponsor gets him and puts him in the hospital to get over the DTs. Once he's over the hangover, it's back to AA--but he keeps his sober time, he doesn't "take a white chip" so to speak.

I've never seen the movie so I don't know if it's different, but under normal circumstances and per my AA experience Joe would have been made to take a white chip. Why wouldn't this be considered a relapse--because Joe called his sponsor during it? I've known people who drank one beer or a glass of wine who considered themselves back on day one. I always thought that was a little severe, but it wasn't for me to judge. Just curious to see what others think.

DISCLAIMER: No, I'm not planning to drink or looking for an excuse. I've got twenty-five days in, the longest I've been sober in a decade, and I feel too good to mess things up now.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

I consider a relapse any time that I INTENTIONALLY put a mind altering substance in my body. It doesn't matter how much or how little. If I knowingly drink or drug, I consider that a relapse.

Now with that said, there are accidents that can occur. You mistakenly pick up the wrong drink, perhaps you ate a piece of fruit that you didn't realize was soaked in vodka. Things like that I don't consider a relapse, because they would make me recoil. My first reflex would be to spit out the drink or the fruit. Now if you suddenly realized you've done one of those two things and you keep doing them, that is a relapse. :P

As I said, this is just my opinion. Makes sense to me. Lol.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mandalay
I'm not in AA but I'm pretty sure noone 'makes' you take a white chip. It's your call.

I'm also pretty sure Hollywood employs a great deal of artistic licence - maybe resetting his days wasn't considered 'up' enough for an 1950s audience?

D
Old 06-20-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What does it mean to take a white chip? I've never heard that term before?
Old 06-20-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh heck, come over to the cabin, I'll show you a relapse. It ain't pretty.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by jaybee1 View Post
What does it mean to take a white chip? I've never heard that term before?
I have never seen them myself, maybe they are more customary in certain places or countries. not sure. But when you go back out or relapse, when you return to AA you can pick up a white chip (similar to the 24 hour coin) to let people know that you have gone out. If you choose. Nobody forces you to of course.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Do they use/have AA chips in Australia?
Old 06-20-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep focusing on your own recovery and you'll be fine.