Notices

My first addiction

Old 06-18-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first addiction

Was video games. I was just mentioning them on another thread and I remembered that as a child I would come home and play video games until I went to bed. I recall my parents were seriously worried about it at the time. I actually quit for about 5 years so I could spend my time getting into music and reading so girls would think I was clever and go out with me =)

It's funny because I always considered my addictive personality to be something that I acquired as a coping strategy over the years, but perhaps it was always there after all.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah Mr. Ben, for me it was candy as a kid. And even though I'm 5+ years sober, video games remain something I do too much of, and there's some other things I do excessively, at times to cope. But alas, video games won't kill me like alcohol will so I cut myself some slack there.

It's all about that pleasure circuit in the brain. The many of us who are susceptible to addiction from birth (if you believe in genetic predisposition) really get off on that dopamine hit. Video games release that dopamine shot as well...
Old 06-18-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
Was video games. I was just mentioning them on another thread and I remembered that as a child I would come home and play video games until I went to bed. I recall my parents were seriously worried about it at the time. I actually quit for about 5 years so I could spend my time getting into music and reading so girls would think I was clever and go out with me =)

It's funny because I always considered my addictive personality to be something that I acquired as a coping strategy over the years, but perhaps it was always there after all.
Do you play now? I haven't played since I started drinking.... maybe I should...
Old 06-18-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah. I've been trying to keep it down so I don't spend my whole afternoon playing. I try to avoid the kind of game that requires hundreds of hours and there's a zillion extra pointless things to collect. But that's mainly because I find them tedious.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
Yeah. I've been trying to keep it down so I don't spend my whole afternoon playing. I try to avoid the kind of game that requires hundreds of hours and there's a zillion extra pointless things to collect. But that's mainly because I find them tedious.
What do you think is the best way to get back into gaming. I've been gone for about 4 years or so... I do have an xbox360 covered in dust...I want to be addicted to gaming again...it was such a great time in my life..
Old 06-18-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well I wouldn't get "addicted" to it, but it's a fun hobby. I'd just stick with the 360, the new consoles are massively expensive and don't have that many great games out. It depends what games you like I guess. I'm a Nintendo fan so I'm probably not the best guy to ask for 360 games. Although I know they have loads of cool indie games available for cheap download, if you're into platformers you can't go wrong with super meat boy.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh yeah and Fez. Get Fez. Masterpiece.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serper2014 View Post
What do you think is the best way to get back into gaming. I've been gone for about 4 years or so... I do have an xbox360 covered in dust...I want to be addicted to gaming again...it was such a great time in my life..
Buy Watch Dogs, admittedly, I'm addicted to it! Great game, good diversion from drinking
Old 06-18-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm still waiting for it to come out on Wii U. Come on Ubisoft!