Notices

What is it about July 4th?

Old 07-09-2004, 06:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is it about July 4th?

July 4 2003 I got so drunk my husband threatened to leave ... That shocked me into sobriety if only for a little while. After a year of off-and-on sobriety (I know that almost only counts in horseshoes) this past July 4 was a repeat. After a 2-day hangover, I'm trying again. I want to get through the days and nights, I want to get through each minute as it happens. I've never really gotten into AA because the (admittedly very few) meetings I've tried have been a tad to "God"ish in a structured sense, and I'm not very that myself, but could some of you pray for me? Thank you.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Of course, I'll say a prayer for you. If you are having a problem with God at the meeting, try what a few others found to work.
G-good
O-orderly
D-direction
We suggest surrendering to a power greater than ourselves, that can be the group as a whole. Maybe you didn't like the meetings because you weren't ready. Why not try them again? Keep posting, there is alot of wonderful people here, with different suggestions. Find what works for you.
sherry
Old 07-09-2004, 06:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Yeah, some meetings are more "God"ish than others, but you're pretty much always going to open with the Serenity Prayer and close with the Lord's Prayer, I think. Even though I'm not religious and don't really believe in the father-type God, I try to stay open-minded and realize that 1) I don't have to join in the prayers, and 2) if I do join in, what harm will it do me?

If you read the AA "Big Book," you'll find that AA has its roots in agnosticism and your concept of "God" or a Higher Power can be whatever you want it to be. Some use GOD to mean Good Orderly Direction or Great OutDoors. I had major problems with "the God thing" and didn't want to go to 12-Step meetings, but I also had major problems with substances and basically had to get over my issues.

Now, I go to NA, which welcomes alcoholics by the way, and have found a "power greater than myself" simply in the LOVE and ACCEPTANCE I feel in the meetings. Plus there's no Lord's Prayer generally. LOL. I suggest you give the 12-Step meetings another try. Maybe go to NA or different AA meetings. And of course, you're in our prayers!

Love, Eddie
Old 07-09-2004, 06:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by twoboys
but could some of you pray for me? Thank you.
Done.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Prayers and love are headed your way...
Old 07-10-2004, 04:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Welcome and prayers . AA does not require that you believe in anything..the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking . Sounds like you have that..bless ! Prayers ^ Trish