I Know This Has Been Done Before But.....

Old 06-15-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Know This Has Been Done Before But.....

I want to make a list of all the things I'm happy for. I've just spent a weekend with my mum, my interview went well and I'm feeling good about things! So -
1. I went to the cinema on Friday. It feel great not to have to sneak beer in or watch as he downed a half bottle of whiskey next to me. I had popcorn and Rolos.
2. My mum and I went for a meal last night. We ate a lot, we each had two drinks and had a brilliant time. It felt great not to worry how much he was going to drink and how the evening would end.
3. We went for a walk along the promenade. Got a ice cream, talked and planned what I was going to do when I moved down.
4. It was great not to worry about finding beer bottles, to do what I wanted to do, laughing all the time. I realised that he never made me laugh out loud you know?
5. There's been no contact since Thursday and I like it that way very much. I can see the life that I want to live now, and it's great to plan things without worrying how beer would fit in to it.
6. My mum and I sat this morning and had breakfast with a pot of tea. It was so peaceful and relaxing and I realised that I hadn't felt like that for a long time.
What are you guys grateful for?
Old 06-15-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Worried, I am grateful for posts like yours. You have no idea how much it means to me to see someone start to grow and break free, as you have.

I'm also grateful for my 2 dogs, Ned the basset and Daisy the Demon Terrier.

Life is pretty good overall lately!
Old 06-15-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Last night I went for a late run at twilight. On my way back I stopped and looked at the stars. I had one ear phone out for safety but enjoyed hearing the crickets! I also really find fireflies reassuring little glowing bugs of optimism.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's a fantastic post!! . . . I'm grateful for seeing both the sunrise and the sunset each morning and night, it's fantastic!!
Old 06-15-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's post like these that I love.

I am grateful for my 4 cats, my babies.

I'm grateful that the sun came out today, raining too much recently.

I'm even grateful for my weeds that I have to deal with. They're mine and I love them. (lol) Gives me something to do when I go outside.

I'm grateful for my life, I am actually starting to like it.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It was so nice to read all of these it made even my cynical self well up in tears.

I'm grateful for all of you

Being on this section of the list has helped me heal some very old wounds.

Thank you for sharing this journey
Old 06-15-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had a fantastic weekend. On Friday I had people over for a moon party, celebrating Friday the 13th and the full moon, because why not? On Saturday I took my folks out for a pre-Fathers Day dinner, hung out with my niece at a local festival, and took a long midnight bike ride under the huge moon with a group of wonderful people. Then today I went on a "date" with my BFF for window shopping and lunch. Tonight my kids get home from their weekend with their dads and I will cook us a great dinner and relax while I do some laundry leading up to the week. There might be another bike ride in there, because man am I sore.

I feel so grateful that I put the time and work into myself to get me to a point where I am active, happy, social, and secure in my life. I'm very thankful for SR for being a place I could go to to get the wisdom and perspective I needed to face to truth about my marriage and how I got there.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm grateful for being able to start the morning with a giggling 9yo dive bombing my bed to wake me up (bouncing the cat about a foot up into the air was just a side-effect he says).

I'm grateful that I'd just enough money in savings to be able to fix my car when it decided to blow a head gasket. And that I had made it to work and wasn't stuck in the middle of nowhere on my commute before it gave up the fight. If I look at it that way, I'm not as upset about wiping out my savings - only a few months ago, I'd have been trying to figure out which bills not to pay in order to be able to get to and from work.

Going to see the new How to Train Your Dragon movie this afternoon: giggles and junk food.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ROLOS! now that is living!

Saturday is traditionally our down n do nothing day, resting up from the week - he works masonry construction and I fight insomnia which is just killing me these days (the missed sleep over the years piles up!). we had an easy dinner of frozen raviolis and a packet of creamy garlic alfredo sauce. then last night I broke down and took a trazadone for sleep. I was prescribed them by my HCP a couple years ago, took one, hated it.

BUT I slept from 10:30pm to 1:30am, fell back asleep til 4:30, then back to sleep til 6. that's like what, 7 hours or more, in ONE night? and man oh man do I feel better today. that deep leaden feeling in my marrow lifted, my knees aren't killing me and I even passed on our after breakfast nap today!

I got the grocery shopping done, a few hundred loads of laundry, we gave the itchy dog a bath - he took one end, I the other. he seems less itchy. did the dishes twice, right down to a shiny sink. the flowers I planted in the half barrels are happy and growing like weeds. lol. started on a new audiobook a few days ago, not exactly thrilled with the narrator but she's growing on me. Mariners are clinging to a 1 run lead over Texas....lord do I miss football. so far today, weve successfully fended off the Canadian Goose flotilla that seems to find OUR yard primo grazing/pooping turf - tons of other yards around the lake to choose from!

stuffed green peppers on the menu tonite. hank just reminded me we might want to THAW the ground pork first? damn, I knew I was forgetting something! but hey, I remembered green peppers!

guess i'm easy to please. woo hoo, M's up by 2! wait make that 3!!

great thread, finding things to be happy about can never be overdone! thanks Worried!
Old 06-15-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm grateful for my life, my health, my mind, my sobriety & recovery, my home, my friends/family, pets and work. It's called a gratitude list and a wonderful tool for getting ourselves out of self-pity. When we're in gratitude we can't be in the "poor me" place of misery. Thanks for posting and reminding me!
Old 06-15-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm thankful for my kids and how seriously fun and sweet they are! I'm thankful for arm floaties and heated swimming pools. For chilled watermelon chunks and BBQ'd chicken and corn on the cob. I'm thankful for kites and warm spring breezes. Today has been such a fun day with my kids!!
Old 06-15-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ah, I love hearing these things! Then I realised that I forgot a few things so I need to add some!
1. I'm grateful for my mum, dad and friends who have helped me through this awful period of my life. Without them, I would still be wallowing in self pity.
2. I'm grateful for every single person on here. Without your advice, straight talk (even if it was hard to read) and encouragement, I probably wouldn't even left in the first place. So thank!
3. I am grateful for my mums cat. He is not quite right in the head, but he's a smart cat and knows when I need cuddles.
4. I am grateful for my second chance. Since I have made the decision to move, I have had signs confirming this. I picked up two Diet Coke bottles today at random - one said 'Mum' and the other said 'Lee' - her surname.
5. And I am grateful for the time that I spent with XABF when he was sober and loving because he showed me the love that I can receive from a relationship. But I am also grateful for the times when he was no so loving because he showed me what I am not willing to put up with and without that, I may have ended up in the same situation again.
I'm sure there will be more. But for now, that's all I can think of.
I must stress to everybody to go and see the Malificent movie. It is amazing!
But would love to hear more things about what everyone is grateful for. This is definitely a mood lifter!
Old 06-15-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am grateful for SR
that I wont need surgery on the leg i broke
For my mom who has been taking such great care of me
for my children and the great day they had with their dad, it was much needed for them and pw their father
For really more than i can list.

God has lead my path and im grateful i could finally follow in his footsteps to peace in my life
Old 06-16-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Love this thread...

I had a great weekend pre-fathers day...

On Friday went to a friends house to get DD8 who was there practicing for a talent show for school this week, spent a few hours hanging out with my friend and all the kids...

Saturday planned an impromptu play date with a friend of DD8's and and I invited her younger sister to come to be company for DD6 too. The girls (friends) Dad decided to stay and we ended up having a great evening with the kids-- more laughter than I can remember in many months for Mom and kids alike... Built an impromptu fire pit, made smores, shoved one another into the pool-- all good fun...

Sunday made the girls a big breakfast, they waited all day for their dad to come and were excited about their homemade gifts for him. Despite him being an a$$, we still enjoyed the day, picked the first peas from the garden, swam, got ice cream and it was more okay than in years past where I would have let their dads absence take over the whole day....
Old 06-16-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Pia

I swelled up with happy tears for once. I am so happy for you. Your post was so uplifting I could picture it.

I have so many things t be thankful for but I am happy I beat my running goal this morning of 60 minutes whoooo yaaaaaa

Also the guy at the gym asked me if I was married. lol (my child is his age probably older)

Last edited by Pia; 06-16-2014 at 11:32 AM. Reason: forgot to add