Notices

anxiety

Old 06-15-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
rbs

anxiety

Today is day one for me. I think the biggest reason I want to stop drinking is because after drinking I have tremendous anxiety. I wake up in a panic attack and I can't calm myself down for hours. Well right now I'm in a panic. I can't do this anymore. I need to stop.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your decision. Its a hard thing to do. I still have cravings after 2 months. I really want a drink sometimes but know it will turn into 10 or daily drinking again. The adjustment is rationalizing how bad alcohol is for us. Your anxiety will get better over time. I suffer from anxiety as well. Alcohol makes use more anxious. Take a deep breath, go for a walk, read a book and play candy crush . Anything positive that doesn't involve drinking.

Just stick to being sober and have a plan for dealing with cravings. I wish you the best on your journey.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bang on
Old 06-15-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear about the panic issues - I have experienced those problems in spades, and my drinking really opened up the door to some major attacks. In my case, quitting for good and also seeing a doctor about anxiety helped!

What kind of support do you have to quit here on Day 1? SoberRecovery is a great resource, you should stick around!
Old 06-15-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had the night panic attacks, too, and I tried to combat them with alcohol. I ended up having a nervous breakdown. It was the very worst thing that ever happened to me.

I haven't not had a drink in 69 days, and the panic and anxiety have subsided. I still have a little here and there, but that is part of being human. It is a million times better than when I was drinking.

I urge you to buy some chamomile tea. It helps. Breathing exercises do, too. Prayer and/or meditation can be extremely beneficial. Also, physical exercise is key to getting over it. The drinking is the main thing, though.

I know exactly what you are going through, and I know exactly how bad it can be. Just thinking about it now brings tears to my eyes.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, rbs! I am glad today is the day for you! Let us known how we can support you.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
rbs

Thank you to all. I was able to sleep some and the anxiety is a little better. Right now on day one my support is coming from me myself and I. I do know that when I talk to my husband later he will be very supportive. We have talked about this before. He's got my back.
I will keep checking in and posting along this journey.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome, rbs Stick with it and let us help you. Before long, I hope, you'll be waking with a feeling of peace rather than panic Freedom is possible, I promise
Old 06-15-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Rbs yes i hate that feeling It amazes me how much alcohol screws up your body, i use to use it for anxiety, but it makes it worse, i am actually more confident sober.... But i think i just used alcohol also for a buzz and boredom.

I hate alcohol!
Old 06-15-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great decision, you'll find loads of support here on SR!!