Notices

Hi Everyone

Old 06-13-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone

Hi everyone, I thought I would introduce myself and say hi. I've lurked here off and on (mostly off) briefly over the years, but first got serious about being sober last May. It's been mixed...I get to about three months sober and wind up relapsing, albeit usually briefly...4-5 days. This last relapse was for about three weeks...my longest yet by far. So about four relapses for a total of five weeks of drinking or so over the last year.

Anyway, I'm on day five right now, and actually feeling pretty good and upbeat.

I'm seeing a addiction therapist (again, as of last May) and she's been a great help, but thinks my biggest challenge in recovery is that I don't have any support network. Never been to AA, can count the number of people who know i'm an alcoholic on one hand, etc. Anyway, I've been kind of trying to do this on my own, which gets me so far before something triggers me to drink and I choose not to reach out to anyone, and instead just head to the store.

In the middle of a divorce of an almost 20 year marriage, which stirs up a lot of emotions that are drinking triggers too.

Anyway, I'm feeling good today...quitting doesn't seem to be the hard part for me...sustaining it for longer than three or four months does. :-)

Anyway, hi everyone :-), hope you're having a good day.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum and the posting side of things!!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, and I hope that you can find some healthy ways to deal with the ups and downs of life. Since you feel this is a pattern, you can be prepared for the next time it comes along. I'm glad you posted.
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Sorry to hear about your divorce situation. I can understand the trigger aspect of it.

Glad you posted,
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm new here too, but I can tell you from my experience that AA has really helped me. I've tried off and on my whole life to quit and never could get more than a few weeks. Everyone has to find their own way, but it's really helped me and saved my life!

Best wishes!