Notices

Ephedrine addiction driving me crazy

Old 06-11-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ephedrine addiction driving me crazy

Well, I've never tried a group like this before. I've been addicted to ephedrine- usually in the form of Bronkaid or Primatene tablets- for 24 years with a few breaks. I tried to get help several times, but no one took me seriously because it's an OTC asthma medication. Then the government started to regulate it because people make meth out of it. It's still OTC, but you have to show your ID to a pharmacist, and they enter it into a government log. I'll take 20-35 Bronkaid a day, or a whole box of Primatene. My physical health seems to be ok, and I don't have high blood pressure, but this is marring an otherwise lovely life. I stress out all the time about buying it; I worry that cops will think I'm running a meth lab and arrest me; I worry it will be in papers and embarrass me in the community and in my family. I think I used ephedrine in the past to self-medicate for depression, but my life has improved so much over the past 10 years that depression is no longer a problem, but the addiction remains. I don't know why this is so difficult to give up; the buzz isn't that good, and the withdrawals aren't that bad, yet I cling to this habit with all my might. I feel utter panic when I think of giving it up. I'm trying to taper right now, but I'll go cold turkey if I haven't quit by July- wish me luck!
Old 11-08-2020, 02:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i’m addicted to ephedrine too

Thank you for your post. I’m also addicted to Primatene and Bronkaid and Iv tried but can’t stop it’s driving me nuts! You’re right people don’t seem to take OTC’s addictions seriously.

I hope you were able to stop. your post was dated quite a while back but please let me know what your experience is with it now. Thanks
Old 11-08-2020, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Serena - Beachy may not reply as it is an older post but hopefully others with relevant experience will
D
Old 11-09-2020, 05:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would see a doctor. Maybe they can substitute a pharmaceutical then get on a taper schedule. I imagine an Ephedra addiction is as much physical as psychological.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would say seek a doctor for a taper treatment. I do understand the struggle with pills. A person close to me was addict to phentermine which is a prescription for obese people . Which was abused chase of the high it causes. They cut the caffeine out of diet first then slowly cut down on ephedrine. Then utilized just black coffee to maintain. With exercise, sleep and healthy eating. I am not a doctor this is just my experience with it. You can do this.