Notices

just over a week

Old 06-06-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

just over a week

So its been just over a week for me and today is especially hard im home bored and I cant get the thought of driving down to the corner store for a few beers I am in need of words of encouragement please
Old 06-06-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR
Over a week,that's awesome!!
I go for walks or hang out here on SR reading and participating.
Definitely helps out. This site is one of my biggest support tools.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

just think of how great you will feel if you DON'T drink! A week is fantastic!
Don't let boredom open the door to the devil!
Play the tape through to the end. Like ALLLLLL the way. Do not pause, do not stop.
STAY STRONG
Old 06-06-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Michelle26 View Post
So its been just over a week for me and today is especially hard im home bored and I cant get the thought of driving down to the corner store for a few beers I am in need of words of encouragement please
There is no right way to deal with it, I simply made myself get out the house and either walk the dog, go for a drive or anything to get away from the craving, you will find it passes as quick as it came.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A few beers will end up in a wasted week of hard sobriety work.
This means back to day one, including the guilt, shame, self hatred.

Oups that's not encouragement. You can do it!
Old 06-06-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you I appreciate the response you are right I can spend some time figuring this site out ((:
Old 06-06-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I bought a book of word search puzzles and when I get bored I do that for a while or surf SR or jump on my bike and go for a ride. Last weekend I went out and got an ice cream cone instead of a bottle and it felt great to treat myself to something. Every couple of days I buy myself a little present for staying sober.

A week is a great accomplishment - why have to start over? You can do it!
Old 06-06-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yup,there a boat load of reading here.
I find the "My stories" forum is awesome to get a perspective of where some people were and where they ended up after quitting. Very inspirational.
There's reading here that helps knock down any of those ole cravings that come along.
There's also a chat area.
Always somebody here as it's world wide.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
A few beers will end up in a wasted week of hard sobriety work.
This means back to day one, including the guilt, shame, self hatred.

Oups that's not encouragement. You can do it!
Actually for me that is encouragement! I need to be reminded of the a way I feel after and the way I make my family after rather then the few hours of "fun" while drinking and then have to start all over again and break yet another promise
Old 06-06-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

To everyone who responded: you are all amazing thank you so much this is exactly what I needed im so glad I found this site. It gives me not only something to do but people to talk to who know exactly what im feeling and going through ((: you guys rock!! ♡
Old 06-06-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

;-)

We are all in the same sobriety boat. And our story will NOT end Like the Titanic. LOL!
Old 06-06-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you doing now Michelle?

D
Old 06-06-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
How are you doing now Michelle?

D
Doing a whole lot better thanks for asking (: I know I can atleast make it through the rest of this day. I have been reading peoples stories and they give me hope
Old 06-06-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Awesome Michelle!

D
Old 06-06-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I always found that if I went NEAR that cornerstore when I was craving (for me it's a pizza shop) even if it was to go across the street to buy groceries. My legs would walk me to the pizza shop. I'd spend all the cash I brought with me for groceries on beer, get drunk, order food. Wake up hating myself.
My advice is if you don't have alcohol in the home and beer is nearby. Take off your clothes, get in your pjs and sit here and read the forums. It's not that you can't ever walk by the corner store again, but if you are craving it's best to stay away IMO.

Here's what I do when I'm really wanting to drink.
1. I get into comfortable clothes, take off my socks. Sometimes my laziness to get dressed and go get beer outweighs or helps outweigh my desire to drink
2. Eat, a lot. Provides a nice dopamine release and if you are really full it's really tough to drink a lot beer and tough to get drunk so what's the point in trying? You'll just end up with a stomachache and not as drunk as you want to be.
3. People don't say this a lot on here but ...Masturbate. Kills time. Dopamine release. Always has helped me with the cravings.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serper2014 View Post
I always found that if I went NEAR that cornerstore when I was craving (for me it's a pizza shop) even if it was to go across the street to buy groceries. My legs would walk me to the pizza shop. I'd spend all the cash I brought with me for groceries on beer, get drunk, order food. Wake up hating myself.
My advice is if you don't have alcohol in the home and beer is nearby. Take off your clothes, get in your pjs and sit here and read the forums. It's not that you can't ever walk by the corner store again, but if you are craving it's best to stay away IMO.

Here's what I do when I'm really wanting to drink.
1. I get into comfortable clothes, take off my socks. Sometimes my laziness to get dressed and go get beer outweighs or helps outweigh my desire to drink
2. Eat, a lot. Provides a nice dopamine release and if you are really full it's really tough to drink a lot beer and tough to get drunk so what's the point in trying? You'll just end up with a stomachache and not as drunk as you want to be.
3. People don't say this a lot on here but ...Masturbate. Kills time. Dopamine release. Always has helped me with the cravings.
Hahahahah! Sorry that masturbate comment was too funny, pajamas dont help much for me cause I always go to the corner store in my pjs, however I hardly eat so maybe if I stuff myself that will help
The thing I try mostly is just taking my perscribed meds and reminding myself if I get just one beer ill go back for more and more and more and if I drink too much on my meds I can hurt myself possibly die, harsh but the truth and then who would have the burden of taking care of my kids
Old 06-06-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Im glad you are doing better now michelle! You will thank yourself in the morning!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Scooby im already thanking myself after the anxiety attack passed im much better and my mom just asked me to go to the movies with her and my neice, had I had a drink I would have to say no and miss out on girl time with my family that would have added to the hurt in the morning. Oh im so glad I stayed strong!!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michelle26 View Post
Hahahahah! Sorry that masturbate comment was too funny, pajamas dont help much for me cause I always go to the corner store in my pjs, however I hardly eat so maybe if I stuff myself that will help
The thing I try mostly is just taking my perscribed meds and reminding myself if I get just one beer ill go back for more and more and more and if I drink too much on my meds I can hurt myself possibly die, harsh but the truth and then who would have the burden of taking care of my kids
Yeah haha. It works well for me! I'm surprised not that many people post about this technique.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That is AWESOME michelle! The fact you stayed sober had immediate reward.