Notices

Help

Old 05-27-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mamahawk

Help

Can I do these steps on my own? I can't go to meetings. I attended my first one online tonight. I'm doing good but I want to do more. I'm on day 11 from a 20 year hydro addiction that ended up with me taking 12-14 10s at a time up to 50 a day sometimes. I don't want to think I him ok now I can do this
Old 05-27-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mamahawk View Post
Can I do these steps on my own? I can't go to meetings. I attended my first one online tonight. I'm doing good but I want to do more. I'm on day 11 from a 20 year hydro addiction that ended up with me taking 12-14 10s at a time up to 50 a day sometimes. I don't want to think I him ok now I can do this

I wouldn't. This illness centers in our brains. There's a saying in AA , only a fool sponsors themself.

Our thinking is the problem, if we don't have any experience with the steps we can't really know if we
are working them right.We can easily deceive ourselves. Feedback from a sponsor is very important.
They can see things we can not see about ourselves.

They help point out bad behaviors and poor thinking. Just my opinion.

Why can't you go to meetings? There are phone meetings too! You could find a sponsor there.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mamahawk

Phone meetings? Ok I can't go to meetings because in order to save my family I gave up my car keys and any access to money. And my freedom to leave alone. My husband works 75-80 hours a week. He is about to get to the time if year where there are even more hours. I can't ask him to take me. He is literally about to fall over. They would never believe I was going to a meeting. I don't have any friends at all.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
I wouldn't. This illness centers in our brains. There's a saying in AA , only a fool sponsors themself.

Our thinking is the problem, if we don't have any experience with the steps we can't really know if we
are working them right.We can easily deceive ourselves. Feedback from a sponsor is very important.
They can see things we can not see about ourselves.

They help point out bad behaviors and poor thinking. Just my opinion.

Why can't you go to meetings? There are phone meetings too! You could find a sponsor there.
Deeker, I have never heard of any such "AA saying" that only a fool sponsors himself. Where did you hear this?

AA mailed the big book to people for them to read and recover and they did.

I'm not saying it's not helpful to have help from someone as the book suggests, but to say that someone trying to work the steps as outlined in the book alone is a fool is not something I can agree with.

Better that someone tries than to not try at all.

God is my sponsor.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoulSister View Post
Deeker, I have never heard of any such "AA saying" that only a fool sponsors himself. Where did you hear this?

AA mailed the big book to people for them to read and recover and they did.

I'm not saying it's not helpful to have help from someone as the book suggests, but to say that someone trying to work the steps as outlined in the book alone is a fool is not something I can agree with.

Better that someone tries than to not try at all.

God is my sponsor.
In Florida where I live, I didn't coin the phrase, I heard it.

I have heard it more than once in the last 30 years. I didn't say it was AA approved or an AA slogan. Where I have gone to meetings, there has been a saying that anyone who sponsors themself has a fool for a sponsor. Do I need a witness?
Old 05-27-2014, 09:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mamahawk

I attended an online meeting. First one tonight. I just don't know what to do.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mamahawk

I'm serious about getting well. I don't want to pretend everything is ok because I am clean.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mamahawk

I heard they did it through the mail. I don't WANT to sponsor myself I want a sponsor. Just may have to go about it a little different. Surely I'm not the first that can't get out...
Old 05-27-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Online Intergroup : Alcoholics Anonymous

Linked with Permission Of AA World Services,inc

Here you go, a link to the phone meetings. Just dial the number, push in the code. Hope you find a sponsor

Did you need help with the online meetings, I used to chair AA Online. Let me know if I can help.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mamahawk

Should I do NA or AA?
Old 05-28-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mamahawk View Post
Should I do NA or AA?
Depends on what your affliction is/was. Is it drugs or alcohol? I read about the pills, but unsure of your experience with alcohol.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mamahawk

No alcohol for me. Never could drink. But I read some people do AA because the language is easier...
Old 05-28-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for clearing up that you have not had any problems with alcohol Mamahawk.

I have no experience with NA. I was helping Timebuster by posting JFT when I saw they had stopped.

Is there anyone here from NA that can help Mamahawk?

I don't know about referring someone with no problems with alcohol to AA.