Notices

Days 3 and 4 of my parents' visit

Old 05-25-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Days 3 and 4 of my parents' visit

Yesterday was the roughest day of the visit. I stayed up waay too late Thursday night and then didn't sleep in (even though I could have) so I ended up with only a few hours sleep. I felt fine the first half of the day but around 3pm it hit me hard and I felt exhausted and irritable. I should have just said what was going on and excused myself to take a nap, but I tried to power through it.

My mother was in rare form of doing all the little things that really annoy me--she especially loves to poke through my closets and cupboards and tell me how much better they would be if I would let her rearrange them. Then, when I tell her "no" she tries to do it anyway. I had such a short fuse due to the fatigue that I was afraid to get into it with her because I didn't think I could do it in an appropriate way--I was afraid I would just completely come unhinged on her. I was seriously wishing I had some wine to give her, since booze tends to dampen her energy for unwanted home "improvement" projects.

Then, as 5 o'clock rolled around my dad showed up with wine and I was ready to dive head first into the Chardonnay. But instead I emailed my husband and told him to come home before I strangled someone. After he got home, I felt more supported and got through dinner fine. My parents left after that and I handed my husband the leftover wine and told him to deal with it. Not sure if he poured it out or kept it somewhere but I don't care as long as it's not sitting in my fridge waiting for me to feel weak.

I was so tired after that I went straight to bed instead of posting here--but you guys and all your awesome support were with me in my head and helped me get through the day sober.

Today, on the other hand, was totally uneventful--my folks were babysitting my nephews so I only saw them briefly for my son's baseball game and the rest of the day I was able to relax and enjoy time with my kids. I realize that now that I'm sober and past the first month, I'm way more relaxed around my kids. I always though a glass of wine (or 3) helped me be more relaxed and patient with them, but I now can see it was always on my mind, distracting me from whatever was going on with them.

Tomorrow I'll see them for dinner at my brother's house but I should have lots of sober support. SIL doesn't drink and my husband will be there also.

BTW, so far not a single person has even ASKED why I'm not drinking. I had an explanation all ready...
Old 05-25-2014, 12:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad the visit is going well - also glad for you that it's nearly over

D