Notices

I don't know if I am strong enough for this

Old 05-24-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't know if I am strong enough for this

My Grandmother is home from the hospital. If anything, she seems weaker. Though she did tell me that she is looking forward to baking bread next week. Watching the person who I love the most in the world not being able to go to the toilet by herself is truly heartbreaking. I'm hoping that if she starts eating well, she will build up her strength. My Grandmother means the world to me. I'm closer to her than I am to my own mother. I was helping her put on fresh jammies earlier and I saw that my aunt had given her a nappy to wear. This broke my heart entirely. My grandmother was a beautiful, strong, energetic lady and she is reduced to this indignity..

When I was really sick, the first time I quit drinking, and I was so run down. She put me to bed in her guest room and would bring me oatmeal and boiled eggs and things on a tray in bed.

My therapist often tells me that I'm a lot stronger than I think. He says that I have a strong core. I hope that this is true as I'm going to need it.

She often tells me lately that "you have the world at your feet. You have your youth and you have your looks". I guess we should live our lives and make the most of what we've got as we won't have it forever.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dear sweet, tetra. You will find the strength to be whatever your grandmother needs you to be because you have such beautiful love in your heart.

You and your grandmother are very blessed to have each other.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You Tetra are INSPIRATIONAL..!!!!!

Thank You for being YOU...!!!!!
Old 05-24-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Your grandma is very special to you. It's hard seeing them get older and more frail, but it often happens that way. My mother has dementia and isn't in the best of health. I visit every day and take care of her cats. I cherish my memories of when she was strong and vital.

Treasure your times with grandma.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Your Grans been through a lot. It will probably take a little while for her to get back to full strength Tetra?

I'm glad she has you around to help

D
Old 05-24-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Character is not about getting dealt great cards it is about how you play a bad hand.

I am in much the same situation with my terminally ill daughter. She just got back from a hospital stay and she is failing.

It is hard, horribly hard and my thoughts and prayers go out to you and her. One of the things that keeps me sober is what a disrespectful act it would be to the ones we love most to start drinking again.

Life is so hard at times but drinking only makes it worse
Old 05-24-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Praying for peace for you and your Grandma Tetra! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 05-24-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Tetra

I believe that with gratitude, compassion and loving kindness in your heart (and its clear you have this in abundance), you have the strength to support and be present for your Grandmother. I wish only the best for you and your Grandmother !
Old 05-24-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am old too and I know how your grandma feels. With increasing age comes the risk of losing dignity. She is so lucky to have a grandchild like you. If I had something to say to her it might be like this, "Grandma I love you. I've always loved you. No matter what happens I will be here with you, helping to have you treated with respect and humanity for the fine woman you are. You are frail now and hopefully will recover some of your health. Nothing will ever change in my love for you and what you have meant to me. We are going to work together to improve your quality of life and to increase your hiappiness in the years that remain. Blessings upon you both.It is Springtime now.Why not go and buy your grandma a beautiful plant.

W.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Tetra,

I am a grandma. My first grandchild was a girl. I am so close to her. And I know she loves me too.
someday, when I am older, weaker, and failing, I hope that she does not fear too much. I don't want her to feel sorry for me, because I have had everything I could ever hope to.

I want to leave her with a part of me-my love for her- and I want it to always comfort her.

Your grandma will no doubt regain her strength- it's very normal for an older person to get weak fast, after surgery. But her love for you never changes. She may need your help, now, instead of the other way around, but its a beautiful thing, to have a granddaughter who can do that, who cares enough, and loves as much as you do.

prayers for your dear grandma to grow stronger each day. those nappys are helpful when you cannot move quickly enough and she needs some time to get her muscle strength back.

hugs dear girl.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are a sweetheart Tetra.
Keep that amazing attitude
and you will go far.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Aww Ireland. <3 I have family there. I'm an Irish American :P Tetra.. now is your chance to give back to your Grandmother when she is weak. I can sense so much love. *hugs*