Difficult parents

Old 05-14-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Difficult parents

I knew when I told my parents that I was separating from my recovering alcoholic/addict husband that they would not be a source of support. My mom is a practicing alcoholic and my father is an adult child, and they are not support people for me. Despite this, after consulting with my therapist and couples therapist, I decided to disclose to them what I've been going through with my husband's addiction, overdose, and recovery process. You're only as sick as your secrets, after all. And, of course, they responded with, "You know there's no way we can give you any money!" and "But he's in recovery, isn't everything supposed to be better now?!" and "Are you going to live with those kids in a tiny apartment?!" I had to assert my boundaries and end the conversation.
I wasn't expecting compassion. I knew there was a good chance of narcissistic drama. I spoke my truth with love and compassion, and I'm letting go of the consequences. Just really could use a hug right now.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

((((hugs))))
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doubledoublewin View Post
I knew when I told my parents that I was separating from my recovering alcoholic/addict husband that they would not be a source of support. My mom is a practicing alcoholic and my father is an adult child, and they are not support people for me. Despite this, after consulting with my therapist and couples therapist, I decided to disclose to them what I've been going through with my husband's addiction, overdose, and recovery process. You're only as sick as your secrets, after all. And, of course, they responded with, "You know there's no way we can give you any money!" and "But he's in recovery, isn't everything supposed to be better now?!" and "Are you going to live with those kids in a tiny apartment?!" I had to assert my boundaries and end the conversation.
I wasn't expecting compassion. I knew there was a good chance of narcissistic drama. I spoke my truth with love and compassion, and I'm letting go of the consequences. Just really could use a hug right now.
I understand. Sorry you are sad. The good news is you know what you are dealing with regarding your folks, so no surprises or unrealistic expectations.

Hugs
  # 4 (permalink)  

And here's a
GREAT BIG FAT HUG for you, doubledouble!

Good job on speaking your truth and then letting go.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank goodness for less-crazy, supportive in-laws, BTW.