Going to treatment...

Old 05-09-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to treatment...

So, my AH is leaving this evening to go to an inpt treatment center. He's been to that place in the past, along with another one twice before.

I guess I should be glad....but I'm not anything. It's never helped in the past for more then a week or two after getting out.

I'm going to take this time to really work on me and getting me better in all ways, my mind, body and soul.

At least there will be peace for a period.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

paige---does he return to your home each time after getting out?

dandylion
Old 05-09-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have they all been 28 day rehabs? Is there something other than the alcoholism going on?

My husband went to a dual-diagnosis rehab, but they didn't see any of his other problems. 28 days is a short amount of time to get on a good start towards recovery. Some people do a lot better with programs that are several months long. Sober housing can be a great option for after rehab. Since what's been happening isn't working for long, if he really sees the need for recovery then something needs to change.

What has he been doing for follow-up care? Are you actively working at your own recovery?

The other component for my husband has been naturopathic doctors to address the physical aspects of imbalances that may have always been there, but made much worse by the alcoholism.

Your plan to work on yourself is a solid one!
Old 05-13-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, these programs have been 60-90 days, inpatient. He has not gone to a sober living afterward and comes back home instead. He goes to a couple of AA meetings, then tapers off, never gets a sponsor....and back to drinking.

It's always been just beer. He's been to treatment several times over the last 7 years. My "take on it", is that he does well in a structured environment where they take away his choice...but he can't or won't maintain when he's out.

Yes, I will be attending Alanon. I was suppose to go last week, but had to stay late at work. I only have 1 meeting/week here. I will go on Friday.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

paige---he is gonna do what he is gonna do. You can probably guess, by now that you can't control him.....LOL. I am so glad to hear that you are going to go to alanon. I think that will be a big help in helping you decide what YOU want to do. Your happiness in life, and, what direction your life takes is in your hands!

dandylion