Notices

Quitting smoking while early into sobriety?

Old 05-04-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting smoking while early into sobriety?

Just a question for those who tried both at the same time. I will quit smoking too but found right now it is helping me not drink. I smoke about half a pack a day.

Any advice?
Old 05-04-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Timmah View Post
Just a question for those who tried both at the same time. I will quit smoking too but found right now it is helping me not drink. I smoke about half a pack a day.

Any advice?
Hi, I don't smoke so I have no personal experience with regards to quitting both, but I did read on SR that it is recommended to not quit both at the same time. Not sure if that's entirely correct maybe someone with more knowledge can help.
Wish you well.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Some have done it like Dee for example.

My take on this is that if you feel up to the challenge go for it, but if it jeopardizes your sobriety you might want to wait until your legs are stronger
Old 05-04-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I usually smoked when I drank, so it made sense to me to quit both at once.

D
Old 05-04-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm only 13 days sober, but I HAD to quit smoking if I was going to be sober. I didn't smoke everyday but if I did I knew I would want a beer later.

If I didn't know that was a huge trigger for me I probably would have quit alcohol first and then smoking a bit later.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
pray for strength

I'm chewing the gum.

Blah! Addiction sucks.

We are in similar nicotine boats.

Nicotine is next on the list for me. I'll need to work a little harder on this now that I think about it.

I adore Gauloises Blondes so much that, no matter how hard I tried, no less than 1-pack a day would suffice. Add-on any stress, excuse, party (everywhere) and the 1 turned into 2 packs.

Had to quit the ciggies but then switched to the equally expensive, dependency driving, bad alternative for an addiction-afflicted person gum.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you are not smoking did you know there is a 24 hour no smoking thread?? http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-5-a-5.html
Old 05-04-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've heard quite a bit about co-occuring addiction, however, for me, one war at a time. A multi front war got Germany trounced back in the day.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am 39 days off alcohol. I wanted to quit smoking too, but i thought it might be too much stress for my mind. In the past 3 months i used an e-cig.
My result? From a pack a day now i smoke a pack every 2 weeks and i use the electronic cigarette much rarely. Looks like to me, those two were closely related. Anyway, i'll quit smoking completely after 6 months of sobriety.
I-m not recomending you to do the same, ecigs are known that they are not healthy either.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by weirdesttoner View Post
ecigs are known that they are not healthy either.
I'm pretty sure e-cigs are much less unhealthy than regular cigarettes
Old 05-05-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Timmah - I unfortunately have a lot of experience with this, but opis were my DOC. On my last go around (2 years ago) I made two attempts at quitting smoking. The first was on day 13, and it was really rough. I didn't make it past 24 hours, and it cause my PAWS symptoms to go crazy. Then I tried again at 30 days, which was successful (er...I guess it was successful, but there is a 3rd attempt). That time triggered a lot of cravings for my DOC, and also brought back a lot of the PAWS symptoms. I was able to stay quit until I went back to the opis.

This time I waited until 2 1/2 months out and it was MUCH easier (currently I am 11 days off the smokes). Part of it was because I had learned some new tricks since the last go around 2 years ago, but the biggest part was waiting until I had some more time under my belt. This time the cravings did not 'spill' over to my DOC - i.e. any cravings would just be for smokes. I would have probably waited longer if I had fallen in love with smoking the way I had fallen in love with opis. Smoking without opis was like a chore, but I didn't want to get slammed with another withdrawal too early.