Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Anyone Had Luck with Clonidine for Opiate Withdrawal?

Notices

Old 05-01-2014, 10:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I heard that clonidine can be helpful in alleviating opiate withdrawal. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this drug, and if it helped them or caused problems.

I'm reluctant to seek suboxone because of it flagging me as an addict in pharmacies and that label following me in life.

From what I know, Clonidine has multiple purposes so I could likely ask for it from my doctor and not necessarily raise any red flags.

I plan to do more online research about the drug... really just interested in personal stories with people who have taken it, and whehter or not they found it helpful.

I'm also using Immodium AD for diarhea and Chlortimetron (antihistamine) for runny nose.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Are you planning to see a Dr snowflake?

D
Old 05-02-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cold turkey is how I went. It hurts bad but you heal. Hang in there
Old 05-02-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FT

Clonidine is very commonly prescribed to addicts in withdrawal, theoretically to reduce the jitters, restless legs, and insomnia.

I was prescribed this stuff, too, and all it did was made me feel "weird" and did not do much else. I did not like it, but many others find it helpful.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Are you planning to see a Dr snowflake?

D
I may. But perhaps not the doctor that prescribed me the opiates. I may go to my psychiatrist instead.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's best to go through some kind of medical professional I think.
Like any medication, Clonidine may or may not be suitable for you, for a variety of reasons.

Best to get an expert opinion

D
Old 05-03-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I researched clonidine and decided it's not worth it. Another drug that will need to be tapered because of withdrawals. No more drugs I have to withdraw from. One is plenty to deal with.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It seems like there is nothing that can be prescribed to help.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nothing I've researched that can help WITHOUT adding a new host of dependence to deal with. Only over-the-counter to help with withdrawals, which for my problem (opiates) is Immodium AD (lopermide chloride) for diahrea (I could never spell that word, lol) and ibuprofen for pain / body aches.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love that you share this with me. I also am plotting that which will make the detox flow better.

My problem is I vomit. Like you and on a prior thread- I do not want a paper trail in the system.

I found that the one med is so controlled- that to buy it- for the cost I can get the actual med I am getting away from.

We are in the same state.

Have you made progress?

When I do- I get pain from hell and that means be doped up or suffer with excruciating pain from injuries.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Anykey, remind me again where you are in your progress. Are you tapering right now?

Today the withdrawal devil decided it was time to give my arthritis all over my body - I can barely walk. (I'm 39 and yesterday no joint aches at all). This withdrawal is something else!

Where I am is tapering - had a bad day yesterday and took two more than I was supposed to, but today I feel stronger and just need to stick to seven. No more than seven.

I don't have a lot of experience (thankfully) with nausea. Isn't there an OTC medicine for that? The one you take for motion sickness? I know that makes you sleepy though, but I hear it works. (Or is that a prescribed med?) Or maybe Pepto Bismol?
Old 05-03-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Snowflake- I sent you a private message.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have experience with it and I think it may have curbed te w/ds.

Lovely state facility gave it to me the 12 days I was locked up, they administered a patch. I still had withdrawals and was miserable but it was not my most difficult 'withdrawal experience' and I assume that's due to the clonidine patch.

I was forced to detox off of 'H' and methadone when I got arrested.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah, I think if I landed in a detox facility I'd let them give me anything they wanted, but I'm not trying to seek that level of professional help for a lot of reasons. But I'm glad it helped you. How are you doing in your sobriety suboxonestopper? I'm assuming suboxone was a problem for you? More so than the H?
Old 05-03-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm on Subs to kick the 'H'...it pretty much saved my life, but I am detoxing off it now. I can't keep one foot in...that's just me.
I do not not a lot about the type of drug Clon is, but it isn't a narcotic. I didn't feel a thing taking it, and no prob not taking it.

Reminded me of OTC stuff.. just my experience. I think it's a safe way to help...I have detox more than once off of 'H', pills, and Subs. Twice off Methadone.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I did some research online last night and the medical sites say that the drug requires tapering to get off of it. If that's the case than I'm turned off about it, because I don't want to have to withdrawal from Peter to save Paul, lol.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am sure it's diff for everyone.... only speaking from my experience..

I don't blame u though! I get that. That's why I am trying to kick the subs
Old 06-07-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I know this is kinda old but I was given clonodine while in a detox facility for 4 days and it was my easiest withdrawel. I stopped taking it with no issues but they monitor your b/p every hour while on this drug. It's dangerous to take alone or without dr supervision.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'll add to this, too, in case anyone else is wondering...

I've been thru detox many times and used clonodine almost every time and it does make a huge difference. With me, it helped with the sweating and anxiety (another off label use). You have to remember that clonodine is a blood pressure medication and those who are prescribed it for that purpose are usually on it for a long period of time and they're the ones who have to taper off. When prescribed for withdraws you usually only take it for a week or two, so you shouldn't have to taper off.
I prefer the weekly patch (0.2 mcg was the perfect dosage for me) over the pills as the pills made me way too loopy and I had no side effects from the patch.

Another medication I was prescribed for my severe spasms also helped tremendously... Baclofen. They've done studies on those going thru withdraw from opiates and alcohol using Baclofen with positive results. This last detox my doctor prescribed clonodine and Baclofen and I actually finally made it thru detox and am staying clean and waiting for my referral to go through to the pain clinic so I can find non medication ways of dealing with my chronic pain.

Only get these meds from your doctor if you can so you can be properly evaluated and monitored.

Detox is a miserable process but it is so doable. After going through it more times than I care to admit, I fully believe that it's the anxiety and fear that make it seem way worse than it actually is. If you can educate yourself about the entire process of detox and PAWS and learn ways to deal with anxiety (I have breathing and meditation techniques I use), it really does make the journey so much easier.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

melatonin is an awesome over the counter vitamin to help with sleep in my non professional opinion