Notices

Totally scared....not sure I can handle this

Old 05-01-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Totally scared....not sure I can handle this

I've been struggling with substance abuse for years.
The past 4 years I've struggled with using narcotics. First it was for pain, then it was the high and the pain.

Found out this week that I have two large (well one small and one very large) herniations in my neck. The pain I've been in this last year has been virtually unbearable. But I have not been established with a doc here, so I haven't had any pain killers for it.

Finally the MRI and all that.... would you like some pain pills?

God, yes please. I need some relief soooo bad.

How about some oxy? No thank you.
How about some tramadol? Ok I'll give it a shot. Wow this stuff doesn't work for the pain at all!
Can you give me something stronger than tramadol but not as strong as any codones?

Ok- Tylenol 3.

I'm so scared that I'm going to be going down this tunnel again. I'm so scared that if I agree to surgery it will be just another six months of excuses on why I need pain pills.
I do have pain. But I just can't do this anymore.

I'm absolutely terrified at the prospect of having access to this type of medication.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you have anyone that can hand them out to you on a schedule? You are facing one of the toughest situations there is, trying to stay away but needing them for legitimate reasons. There is a Pain Management forum here with people in the same situation. Might find ideas there as well.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TiredEnough View Post
Do you have anyone that can hand them out to you on a schedule? You are facing one of the toughest situations there is, trying to stay away but needing them for legitimate reasons. There is a Pain Management forum here with people in the same situation. Might find ideas there as well.
That actually is a good idea. I will check in the pain management site too....
Old 05-01-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

there is a reply to a post over in Friends and Family that is spot on for cervical problems.
Basically my treatment for lumbar disc bulging, impingement and a herniatioon along with sciatic and has been treated by everything but narcotics.

I have a lot more control over my pain now than I ever did before and I'm also not making it worse daily by taking oxy's - all's I did with pain pills was manage to not feel the damage I was doing.

here's the link http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4624305

Spine Health (google it) has great resources, vidoes, articles, forums, etc.