Notices

Afraid to Attend NA

Old 04-28-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Afraid to Attend NA

Hi All,

I have 4 months off opiates (hydrocodone mostly) today. The cravings are still there, but I keep stacking up the days. I feel like I'm missing them more than usual and sort of fantasizing, which isn't good. I've thought about attending NA meetings, but I've been putting it off due to fear. I'm a shy person by nature, and its tough to take that first step. I'm also moving across the country in August, so I wonder whether it's worth it to go or if I should just try finding a group when I move. I feel like these cravings will never end, and I find myself wanting to use so badly.

Will NA help with these? I'm a bit apprehensive to go also because I've heard people go there to sling drugs, which I definitely don't want to be around (not sure what would happen with me, considering my state of mind).

Thanks everyone
Old 04-28-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that the cravings will diminish, especially if you fill your life with things you enjoy doing and people you love. Have you added any new activities to your life since stopping drinking?

If you feel that NA will be helpful, then give it a try.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't really tried anything new since quitting. I'm a student so that keeps me pretty busy, but even then I have loads of free time which I used to spend using, procuring, etc. I think a major problem is the friends I've left behind. It seems like I never have fun anymore. I just don't know how to. First it was partying and drinking, smoking weed, then opiates, still partying and drinking. Then I made a major change and just stopped hanging out with a lot of good friends I had. They never got as far into drugs as I did, but said friends still drink and smoke weed. For the first couple months or so of quitting my main DOC, I still drank a couple times a week and smoked when I could get it. The difference was that I was doing it alone, after sort of just abandoning these friends. I realized I was just getting back on the road to using again, so I cut out drinking and pot smoking completely about a month ago. At this point I just feel very alone, like I can never relate to people if I don't smoke or drink. I have my fiancee, who doesn't drink or do any drugs. She's the only person that I can really hang out with. I just need a new group of friends, but I seem to gravitate toward people who drink/take drugs.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Clarity12 View Post
I just need a new group of friends, but I seem to gravitate toward people who drink/take drugs.
Then I think a NA meeting is exactly what you need. Like minded people who are clean and sober and who can relate to what you are going through. Everyone there was scared about walking in that door, just like you are. But they stayed.

Beside support, the 12 steps of NA and give you the tools you need to stay clean and fill the void in your life that you filled with drugs.

Good luck.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I say give it a try Clarity, like you said you are moving in August, you may never see them again. However you may make some life long friendships there, easy to keep in touch if you are far apart today.

I understand your fear though I am shy when I meet people in person.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The cravings you are talking about may go if you are very lucky, for most of us they don't and we end up using again. The solution is to do some work on ourselves and you will find clear cut directions on how to do this in NA. I was very shy and scared before going to AA but there is nothing to fear and you don't have to talk if you don't want to although you will be very much welcomed so expect a few people to say hello:-)

Go for it, you don't want yo be feeling like this for long do you?

Ps if you change, you will gravitate towards different people and vice versa!
Old 04-28-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Give some NA meetings a try. Worst you can do is waste an hour of your life. You might like it but you won't know til you try.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm looking for one where I live, it seems like there isn't one today. I guess I'll have to wait until Wednesday. Should I try to go to as many meetings as possible? I feel like whatI'm doing right now isn't working, and I'm setting myself up for a relapse.