Notices

Why and how you quit drinking?

Old 04-28-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why and how you quit drinking?

Just curious, how and why did you quit drinking? I am just curious in hearing all of your stories; as I have seen a lot of you around the board and have always wondered. Of course, if it is too personal to say, I completely understand!

Thanks, guys!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol was causing a lot of conflict in my marriage. My DH quit 7 years ago and joined AA. I did as well, initially, but did not think myself an alcoholic. He abhors alcohol now. I would drink socially when I went out, but not at home. In the past couple of years, I started bringing it home and hiding it. Drinking only when he was out. The last week of my drinking, I began openly drinking in front of the DH, whilst continuing to hide and protect my 'source. I came to an awakening this is insanity. I had crossed the line into alcoholism. I phoned three friends, and gained the courage and support to return to AA, join SR and made a decision. I can't do this myself. NO human power can relieve me of my alcoholism, but God could and would, if I sought His help. 15 days sober, today.

Last edited by StormiNormi; 04-28-2014 at 09:34 AM. Reason: word fix
Old 04-28-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

we quit because we WANTED to quit, for whatever personal reasons resgistered with us. Everyone is unique in the reasons, but the WANT to quit is universal. That has to be found by each individual and until that happens, nothing happens. JMHO
Old 04-28-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Why: MONEY

I was out of money. Sold my truck, in bankruptcy, and unemployable. The next step would have been lose my home.

How: DETOX

Seven days of no-cost, inpatient treatment.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Why:

Health reasons, broken relationships, My mental health/depression, finances and #1 I have a 7 year old son and don't want him to be raised by a drunk and go through what I did when I was young. Breaking the generation pattern hopefully.

How:

I relapsed a lot because I kept in the back of my mind that I would drink again someday, learned from my mistakes, made a plan and following it.
Lastly, a great doze of SR ;-)
Old 04-28-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Happy, Joyous & Free

How? Alcoholics Anonymous.

Why? I didn't really want to die and I was on the way out. It took an act of Divine Providence for me to realize that I had already been given the answer, and for me it was AA. I had been in and out for 4 years, but this time I really WANTED to stay sober.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Knat84 View Post
Just curious, how and why did you quit drinking? I am just curious in hearing all of your stories; as I have seen a lot of you around the board and have always wondered. Of course, if it is too personal to say, I completely understand!

Thanks, guys!

Hi Knat84, I was always aware my drinking was more than the average person would call socially acceptable, drinking 7 days and heading for a premature demise. My plan as I have mentioned in a few of my early posts was to quit by the time I was 40 years old just to have a decent chance of reaching retirement age in semi healthy condition.
I decided I was only putting off the inevitable by waiting till I was 40, as another 3 years could cause excess strain on my body which I value more than a fridge full of beer.
Do I sometimes miss it? I crave a cold one from time to time as I am only human and cannot switch off completely from drinking patterns after doing it for the last 20 years, but the cravings pass by relatively quickly when kept focused and the longer I spend abstaining the quicker the cravings seem to pass.
So my message would be to anyone in the same position as I was is a simple one,

- make the decision yourself or before long your body will make it for you.

Great thread and I look forward to reading from you guys experiences.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StormiNormi View Post
I can't do this myself. NO human power can relieve me of my alcoholism, but God could and would, if I sought His help. 15 days sober, today.
Although I am not a fundamentalist, I do believe in a higher power. How can a person not?? I am so glad that you are a strong fighter against your alcoholism. Keep up the good work and peace be the journey!
Old 04-28-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happycampers View Post
we quit because we WANTED to quit, for whatever personal reasons resgistered with us. Everyone is unique in the reasons, but the WANT to quit is universal. That has to be found by each individual and until that happens, nothing happens. JMHO
Key here is because you want to quit. Indeed. (Think we can also say 'realll---y want to quit. ^.^ )
Old 04-28-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Why: MONEY

I was out of money. Sold my truck, in bankruptcy, and unemployable. The next step would have been lose my home.

How: DETOX

Seven days of no-cost, inpatient treatment.
Yes, money is a big one. When somebody asks me 'HOW' they can quit...I really freeze. As happy campers mentioned, you have to want to quit. I say that, and if they say "but, i don't!" I automatically ask how much they spend on booze (or whatever) and advise them to sit down and write down the figures. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. *sigh*
Old 04-28-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
Why:

Health reasons, broken relationships, My mental health/depression, finances and #1 I have a 7 year old son and don't want him to be raised by a drunk and go through what I did when I was young. Breaking the generation pattern hopefully.

How:

I relapsed a lot because I kept in the back of my mind that I would drink again someday, learned from my mistakes, made a plan and following it.
Lastly, a great doze of SR ;-)
Oh pat man, sounds like you've been through a lot. *hugs* A monumental high five for staying clean not just for yourself, but for your son. I'm also finding that I love SR.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
How? Alcoholics Anonymous.

Why? I didn't really want to die and I was on the way out. It took an act of Divine Providence for me to realize that I had already been given the answer, and for me it was AA. I had been in and out for 4 years, but this time I really WANTED to stay sober.
Glad you are still with us!! Much positive energy to you!
Old 04-28-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stoogy View Post
Hi Knat84, I was always aware my drinking was more than the average person would call socially acceptable, drinking 7 days and heading for a premature demise. My plan as I have mentioned in a few of my early posts was to quit by the time I was 40 years old just to have a decent chance of reaching retirement age in semi healthy condition.
I decided I was only putting off the inevitable by waiting till I was 40, as another 3 years could cause excess strain on my body which I value more than a fridge full of beer.
Do I sometimes miss it? I crave a cold one from time to time as I am only human and cannot switch off completely from drinking patterns after doing it for the last 20 years, but the cravings pass by relatively quickly when kept focused and the longer I spend abstaining the quicker the cravings seem to pass.
So my message would be to anyone in the same position as I was is a simple one,

- make the decision yourself or before long your body will make it for you.

Great thread and I look forward to reading from you guys experiences.
Thank you very much. I also believe the longer you abstain from booze, the less cravings you have. Just my personal experience anyway. Thanks for the reply!
Old 04-28-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Why? Wow, that is not so easy to answer.

It was Saturday in the late afternoon. I was sitting on my couch drunk. I had been drinking all day, as usual, and for some reason I just said or thought I can’t do this anymore. I looked up the AA hotline phone number in my area and called it. What brought me to that point or what pushed me over the edge I can’t say. There was no white light or angelic figure. I just knew it was over. I surrendered.

Now I cannot even imagine how I functioned a year ago. I was living in pure hell. I just can’t fathom being there again.

How? Faith!

I started attending AA and I kept attending. I listened to people. I got a sponsor. I allowed people to help me and I was willing to try what they suggested. I allowed myself to trust someone, only one, my sponsor, but I had to do it to move forward. I met with her and we went through the BB. We read the steps and I asked when I did not understand and she explained things to me. I cleared the wreckage of my past and saw my part in it. I made amends to the people I had harmed. I got active so I could give back to the newcomer the way the people were there for me when I walked in. I make sure the door is open and the coffee is ready.

I continue to attend meetings four to five days a week. I live one day at a time.

The friendships I have now are like no other. These people understand me and I do not have to say a word. They love unconditionally. They held me up when I could not hold up myself.

I have found a God of my understanding and I turn my will over to their care. I no longer try to run the show and I pray for strength and guidance because I don’t have all the answers.