Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

thinking of going to an AA meeting for the first time tonight...

Notices

Old 04-27-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is my first post. I've been sober for a month. I've been too scared to go to AA bc I don't know what to expect and I don't understand why some meetings are labeled as closed in my city and some aren't although it states all are welcome at any meeting if you need help.

I just don't know if it would be helpful for me or not... I've found comfort in talking to loved ones. I will pursue writing eventually (just for myself) and counseling but for now I'm just taking baby steps. But I see there's a meeting in an hour and a half...

Just wondering if anyone has any comments for me. Just writing about it is making me so anxious and nervous.

Anything would be appreciated...

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi benniesauntie - Welcome!

I'm not in AA but I know closed meetings are open to alcoholics only - open meetings - anyone can attend

You might find this link helpful

Your First AA Meeting<

D
Old 04-27-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I think you should do what ever it takes. I don't use AA, but it could be a help to you.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR and congratulations on your sober time.

I am an AA member,go along and sit and listen,no need to say anything if you don't want to.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much! I can't express my gratitude.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Go ahead and give it a try. Just sit and listen. If they ask you to share and you don't want to talk, just say you're just listening this time.

It's likely that if they know it's your first meeting they will give you phone numbers of members to call if you feel tempted or need someone to talk to.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I go to AA. I was very scared about going in the beginning, it's one of those hindsight scenarios where I can see that there was nothing at all to be scared about but that won't help you much now. You get the courage after you have been:-)

It was so cool being in early recovery, wide eyed again like a kid. Enjoy and let us know how you get on!
Old 04-27-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fear and anxiety has kept me from doing a lot of things that would of been good for me. I can easily think my way out of doing the right thing, and gives me an excuse to drink, but that's just me. I can now sometimes, shut my thinking down and force myself to do what I know is right. It usually turns out all the fear and anxiety were unwarranted. I hope you made the meeting.