Notices

New to site

Old 04-27-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to site

I am 4 days sober and trying to stay sober. I am an on again off again binge drinker. I go for months without drinking then go months of drinking everyday. I'm getting older now and feel I need to stop for my health. Would appreciate any advice to help me. Thanks
Old 04-27-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Eastsidelady View Post
I am 4 days sober and trying to stay sober. I am an on again off again binge drinker. I go for months without drinking then go months of drinking everyday. I'm getting older now and feel I need to stop for my health. Would appreciate any advice to help me. Thanks
Hi, well firstly you are doing better than I did, as I could never have went months or even a day without drinking in the past, is there any triggers that sets you off on a binge? Like boredom etc, as I realised that sometimes a dangerous mix of boredom and mild depression set me off on a drinking pattern. I just learned to find alternative vents for frustrations if that makes sense.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yes boredom is a big one for me and I have anxiety a lot and use alcohol to relax. I tried Xanax and anti depressants in the past and didn't work for me. Didn't like side effects. My mind races a lot with thoughts and drinking would slow or stop them. Anyway I'm trying to use running now when my thoughts are too much. The problem is a lot of the socializing I do is around alcohol. Guess I need a new circle of friends.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

yes boredom is a big one for me and I have anxiety a lot and use alcohol to relax. I tried Xanax and anti depressants in the past and didn't work for me. Didn't like side effects. My mind races a lot with thoughts and drinking would slow or stop them. Anyway I'm trying to use running now when my thoughts are too much. The problem is a lot of the socializing I do is around alcohol. Guess I need a new circle of friends.
I think you are wise, staying away from drinking situations until you are comfortably in sobriety was exactly what I had to do, early days would have been too tempting to resist.
Good luck, rooting for you.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile

Thank You
Old 04-27-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, I could have written that. The racing mind and anxiety. I drank to relieve those things, too. And it worked. But, I crossed that thin line into alcoholism. Then the hangovers. Terrifying anxiety, fear and mind racing dread.
I sought professional help and now take anxiety medication, and thankfully, it works.
AA helped me a lot too. You'd think sitting in a group of people talking about alcohol would be a trigger. But for me it was just the opposite.

I hope running takes your mind off it. I know how you feel.
Best to you.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome eastside lady - why not join our Class of April support thread?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-4-a-8.html

D
Old 04-27-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you Eastsidelady. It really helps to know we're not alone. Glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, another person here who deals with anxiety. I used alcohol to self-medicate and to be able to sleep and boy, was that a mistake.

And, finding new activities and some new friends is often a part of early recovery. We have to make changes in our lives in order to recover.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR,you are probably bored because you have been drinking,not the other way round.

anti-depressant medication does not work mixed with Alcohol.I am sure if you continue to stay sober,the anxiety will ease.It is extremely difficult in the early days,but worth it.

I wish you well.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Eastsidelady! I'm a newbie so I don't have advice but I think you are smart for coming here!
Old 04-27-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi there. I'm also new here but suffer anxiety. I also began drinking to ease my anxiety in social situations. I've been sober for 1 month today and my anxiety has eased off. One technique I've used, while having an anxiety attack, or feeling anxious, is to write the word "one", focus on the word and the structure of the letters while deep breathing. I used to use that in crowded university classes when I felt like jumping up and running out. Also deep breathing is the best bet. I tried to copy a link for you but I'm posting from my phone so it's not working, but if you search "natural remedies for anxiety" on Google you'll find lots of options! I hope this helps. Anxiety sucks. When I quit smoking and drinking, in the early stages I always need a distraction. Maybe instead of having a drink you can go for a walk/do a hobby something like that to take your mind off of drinking? Take care and best of luck!
Old 04-27-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support and useful info here.