Notices

Has anyone every had a liver scan?

Old 04-25-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rar

Has anyone every had a liver scan?

So I had an appointment today with my primary care doc. It was for another issue, but I thought I would use this opportunity to discuss the slightly elevated liver enzymes. The blood work which indicated the elevated liver enzymes was ordered by the doctor who ordered a sleep study, with the results sent to my primary care dr.

Anyway, I told him I was no longer drinking and asked if at some point the blood work could be redone. Well, he orders both a Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C test, together with the other routine blood work. Also....and this is the part that freaks me out.........he wants me to have a liver scan. I asked if the blood work came back as normal, why the scan? He said it was precautionary. Has anyone ever had a liver scan?

My last drink (1) was on February 1st. Do you think it's long enough to normalize my liver enzymes. Apparently they were only slightly elevated above normal. Maybe I should wait a couple more weeks?

Now I'm really scared.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If by scan you mean ultrasound, I have had one. What are you afraid of - asking to see if I can help with any concerns. It was a very simple and non-invasive procedure.

As for when your enzymes will return to normal, I can't say. An ultrasound might help in answering that question.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yeah i had a liver scan after my liver enzymes were up. turns out i have a fatty liver from drinking. the liver scan will tell you if you have a fatty liver..alcoholic hepatitis or cirrohsis.

probably a good portion of the people on here have or had a fatty liver. that is not too bad..it can be somewhat reversed and the liver will function fine as long as you don't continue to abuse alcohol
Old 04-25-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes I made a "fast track" appt for a physical... unfortunately not primarily driven by wanting to know my physical parameters... but because it's required for a psychotherapy application that I'm very interested in.

I'm 3 months sober. They did blood work that showed some abnormal liver functions, and had the abdominal "scan" (it was an ultrasound for me) that detected likely fatty liver. The exams they did also showed I might have some probs with pancreas function.

Needless to say, I sort of suspected these... was just too afraid of going to docs to investigate even after a couple months of sobriety... so glad this interest of mine in therapy finally pushed it.

Anyhow, so that's to answer the OP's question.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

RAR, are you worried about the scan itself, or underlying concerns about liver damage? I've been through ultrasounds, MRIs and CTs . The scans for the most part are all manageable. Personally, MRIs make me crazy and I have resorted to Ativan for those occasions. And I bring my own music. The anxiety underlying the reason for the scans can be unnerving. Watch your technologist closely for clues -- it's my experience that they always subtlety let me know when there are no problems.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rar

I am worried about the result of the scan. I guess it's an ultrasound. I have a regular appointment next month and have to get blood work at least a week prior. Supposedly the office is to schedule the ultrasound and they will call me with an appointment.

I tried to stay away from Google, but succumbed to the temptation. It seems I have several symptoms to include the dreaded itching, which fortunately has gone away.
Though it's been almost 12 weeks since I quit drinking, I wonder if it would be better to wait until it gets closer to my appointment before I get the blood work.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Best way to look at things is no point in worrying about the unknown, only deal with the facts!!

DON'T google, it is the enemy!! . . let your Dr do the diagnosing!!
Old 05-01-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey guys, I've had blood tests and another abdominal ultrasound this week.

All normal. I must also say that when they tested me (took blood, etc), was JUST before my period this month - girls, please be aware!

Anyhow, wtf? Well, I know some of the limits of diagnostics, but still intriguing how they can change. Also, I'm understanding better and better why scientific funding in the US (at least in US) has a lot of interest in gender differences. I don't think there are qualitative differences, just a lot of physiological things that also affect our mentalities.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad it was all normal, however, I'm curious why it's important to note it was just before your cycle?
Old 05-01-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ontherightpath View Post
Glad it was all normal, however, I'm curious why it's important to note it was just before your cycle?
Honestly, I don't know if it is important. No one told me the timing was important, this is just my own experiment, if you can call it that. Liver functions can be affected by oestrous cycle, why I made this rough hypothesis. It is not validated by any means yet.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had slightly elevated enzymes but required no scan. It was very scary though knowing that I had actual verifiable proof that I had done damage to my body. If it helps anyone out, I blacked out every single night for like 3 years. (I'm sure duration has something to do with how much damage you have done) I'm 26 by the way.

Even though I'm only on day 7, I managed to get more days sober than drunk since January, and I just had a blood test two weeks ago, and they were "near normal" according to my doctor.

But that's just me.