Notices

I Need Everybody's Support Here!

Old 07-02-2004, 05:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KingsWeaver, We Are One

I Need Everybody's Support Here!

Hi everybody,
The day has come that I HAVE to quit, I am having surgery for anterior cervical fusion on July 12th and I am scared to death. No more hiding behind that anymore of, I will get to that someday!

I have a severely pinched nerve between C6 & C7 and it is screaming for relief, and as the days go by the pain is getting worse. There are some days that I can barely lift an empty glass, owww has become my favorite word. It doesn't take much for that word to come out of my mouth.

Ok fine I have been wanting to do this anyway, I was so happy when the Doctor said you have to quit. He said the nicotine hinders the healing process of the bones, actually it attacts it and I will end up with a nasty infection if I don't do this. I told him I am going to need some help here! So, they gave me a RX for Zyban which I am going to get today.

Has anybody had good luck with this stuff? This may seem like a really simple thing to some people, but, for me going under the knife/laser scares me to death. I am not afraid of dieing I am just plain scared. I have had this pain for over 2 months and my family is getting really sick of hearing the aches and pains, now reality has hit that the wife/stepmom has to go under to get it fixed. They are telling me you will be fine, well that just doesn't do it for me, I am still scared here.

I have been living on Vicodin and Soma for at least a month now and the sad thing is those two meds really don't even touch this pain, but at least I can sleep at night with it, oh my favorite thing is that wonderful cervical collar that I have to wear most of the time now! NOT

Anyway, please y'all give me all the support you have to offer, I have lost two brothers within 6 months of each other and they both smoked and I have a third brother that got another kind of cancer. I don't want this for me, I love my husband and kids and of course our 4 babies (dogs) way to much to get that nasty cancer bad boy!

I will go for now get on my Zyban later today after I pick it up and do my best. My heart and soul is into this so I should be able to kick this bad habit.
So, if any of you have advice for me please

Thanks y'all hugs to all of you,
Penelope
Old 07-02-2004, 05:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
KingsWeaver, We Are One

Smile One more thing

Its me again, just to let y'all know my husband (tryinagain) is not going to quit just yet. He has to deal with one addiction at a time here. Not drinking is the one for the day, he rocks and I love that man sooooo much.

Hugs again,
Penelope
Old 07-02-2004, 06:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can do it Penelope. I have a friend that had pain for years and underwent a procedure similar to yours and she is in total relief and doing great. I didn't do anything like Zyban to quit. As a matter of fact I couldn't even hack the patch. I finally just quit. But I think "have to" always makes things harder for me. Being forced into something against my choice calls for rebellion! All the people who wanted me to stop smoking probably encouraged me to smoke longer. But then I found something else to rebel against. The cigarette. IT was trying to MAKE me SMOKE it! NO! It couldn't make me. No sir. I was not going to do the bidding of any old paper wrapped plant particles. As IF!

So when you put them down... don't let 'em push you around. You're bigger than they are.

Hugs!
Smoke
Old 07-02-2004, 06:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
KingsWeaver, We Are One

Yes I Am!

Hey Smoke,
Yes I am bigger than they are, but dang they have so much control and I hate that. I have been wanting to do this for a very long time now and always crash and burn by the 11th day.

I will do this, I mean geez the last thing I want is to get myself infected just because I didn't want to quit, my problems at that point would just get bigger right!

So here's to the cigarettes in my life I sure hope that little voice that says go buy a pack just shuts its mouth :surprised

Hugs,
Penelope
Old 07-02-2004, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Life!

Penelope;
Good luck! I know you CAN beat that nasty old nicodemon! Take it one day at a time.
I am having difficulty with the zyban and patch right now; going to the doctor's today to find out what to do. Very bad reactions. Will let yo know what he says afterwards.
Smoke;
I hear ya completely when you said;
"But I think "have to" always makes things harder for me. Being forced into something against my choice calls for rebellion!"
You have just described me to a tee! LOL!
Now, all I have to do it think of the ciggie controling me to beat it!
This is day 14, although I have had 2 small slips along the way. Still fighting the good fight. I really want to beat the b*st*ard nicodemon!
I too wish I could go back in time and never have started. But, honestly, I think I was hooked the first time I smoked.
Wish you well, Penelope!
Shalom!
Old 07-02-2004, 10:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Weasel41R...
What a bummer. Surgery scares me soo bad. So being scared I smoke 2 at a time, rather pitifull , but thats me I did quit inhaleing back in 1979, but I know some gets to my lungs, etc. Not inhaleing I don't get enough nicotine, so since not working since 76 I chain smoke.
I have quit 5 or 7 times. my best go was hypnotism (sp?)
I had been told by 3 hypnotists that I am impossible to do, but I am soo suseptable to suggestion , so got appt, told her all this. told her "DON'T TELL ME I WILL HATE SMELL OF SMOKE AND OTHER NEGATIVE THINGS" Course I put the PATCH on just b4 going in. Even with only suggestion and relaxation, i came out a totally non smoker for 3 days, but then i needed something going into my mouth. I picked suckers , shd have had water or juice with a straw. after 3 weeks with patches and suckers I gained 10 lbs, S---.
Since I am an A, +Al-Anon, I always want easier softer way, and want yesterday , never wanted to wait for pills to kick in.
After eye cataract surgery just now, the DR. said I was doing wonderfull, he went on out amd I told nurse, "THE REASON i HEAL SO QUICK AND WELL IS BECAUSE i SMOKE"
I am a rotton smart ass at times.
YOU WILL FIND THE WANT TO TO DO THIS. as I can feel your love for hubby, and the dogs,
Dog lovers are the greatest, most special people. BEST WISHES and keep us posted. Love to you all Clancy46 PS u didn't mention nicotine patch????
Old 07-02-2004, 04:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Penelope

Hi I am on zyban right now, my doctor wanted me to take it for a week then double my dose and take it for two weeks then quit, I got impatient and quit smoking after my first week, I'm also using nicotrol inhalers, this has been by far
the easiest time I have ever had quiting, I don't know if its that I'm finally ready, or the combo of the prescriptions, but it's really going good, and today is two weeks for me.

Old 07-02-2004, 09:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
KingsWeaver, We Are One

Why!

Hey Jay Walker,
I took my first Zyban today and wow, I was talking a mile a minute after it kicked in lmao, my stepdaughter thought it was pretty funny! I was talking so fast that I got lost in my own words, lol.

Then after a bit it settled down and I started to get really tired, I am on 1 a day for the first 3 days then 2 a day after that. My insurance didn't cover it I mean they are willing to let me go through a c-spine mri and have the surgery but they don't want to provide the meds so that I don't get an infection, not to mention get a whole lot healthier so they can be done with me for at least a little while. So, needless to say I paid full price for it over at Walmart the price wasn't all that bad, compared to smoking and getting an infection from the nicotine attacting my incision.

Can anyone out there tell me WHY WHY WHY am I such a chicken when it comes to quitting smoking, am I afraid that I will crash once again, but this time if I do the reprocussions could be very bad for me. I would also like to know why am I such a chicken when it comes to any surgery?? I work myself up into a frenzy and smoke even more, now that can't be healthy right!

I feel like such a failure for crashing and buring all the times that I have tried to quit I get all out of control with my emotions and cry at the drop of a dime, I don't get it am I just a big wiennie at this stuff or what!

After 10 days I can't even take my advil anymore for arthitis in my fingers, I know I am whining here and working myself all over again. That lovely nerve in the back of my neck starts to throb to no end when I do this too, ouch!

Anyway, help me through this y'all, maybe it's the codie in me, I don't have control when they put me under and that scares me when they say "now count backwards from 100" What, am I a hopeless little case here, someone out there has to have some input on this one, at least I hope someone does!

I will let you know how tomorrow goes, but for now I am just trying to relax and not think about July 12th, the nerve in my neck is really getting mad now, lol

I love you all,
Penelope
Old 07-03-2004, 09:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Weasel
I am old, so grew up with Ben Gay I find the extra strength, strong smell kind knocks out my pain instantly. Worth a try. Web MD had something on a cream that was working. I think it had same stuff as Ben Gay.
I feel for you, I am a devout coward about surgery, but when I start to count, I am gone on count one, wheee Clancy46
Old 07-03-2004, 09:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
KingsWeaver, We Are One

Red face Day 2 Of Zyban

Hey Clancy,
I am doing good on the zyban so far, tomorrow I take 1 then the next day I start taking 2. I have a little over 2 packs left and then I am done. Like the Doc said no Nicotine can be entering my body at the time of surgery.

I have a really good attitute toward quitting, but today I was one emotional wreck that is my neck and my spine and I like walking and I guess I am just freaking myself out, becuse on wrong slip and its wheelchair for this little lady and I just don't want that!!

My husband (tryinagain) and I had a very deep spriritual talk today and that helped me so much, we have such a stong love for each other that no matter what happens I know in my heart and soul that he will be there for me and of course my 4 babies (dogs). Zues my big black chow/sheperd got very upset to see me crying so hard. The other babies just hung around me and would not let me out of there site, the are just the coolest dogs.

I will get through this and God will make sure of that, my faith in God is very strong and I know that everything will be alright. Today though I had a very strong attact of the main root nerve pinching my upper are to the point of bringing me to tears. I can't wait until this is all over with, my husband is trying to prepare himeself for the big day. He is afraid for me too but his faith in God is just as stong if not stronger than mine, he is very close to God and when he tells me that an Angel has been sent down to watch over me, I believe him.

Well Clancy hugs to you and pray for the best for me.

Love you all on SR you are the greatest!!
but I need

I thank you Clancy for your feedback and thinking about me!

Hug to you,
Penelope
Old 07-04-2004, 08:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Penelope
I am hoping that tryinagain will let us know how you are doing as soon after surgery as he can, he will I am sure.

Will surgery fix both the neck and the back?? HUGS TO YOU ,Hubby, and the Pets .
Clancy 46 (THELMA)
Old 07-04-2004, 09:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
KingsWeaver, We Are One

Red face Can Do!

Thelma,
Dont' worry he will give y'all an update, he is trying not to think about it right now, he is not worried that I won't be okay he is just doesn't like the fact that I have to go into the hospital.

I will be so glad when this is all over with, I cleaned the house today and now I am paying for it my arm is throbbing and my litltle nerve buddy is not to happy with me right now He/she is trying to tell me if you keep doing things you are not suppose to do this is what you will get

I tell you the main root nerve is just not a happy camper all the way around lol. Tomorrow I am on 2 Zyban a day and there on after, I have 1-1/2 pack left and that is it for this girl, no more nicotine in this body of mine.

Your support Themla means more to me than words can say :heart:

Hugs to you all for all your support or this little chicken,

Penelope
Old 07-05-2004, 09:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
KingsWeaver, We Are One

That's It!!

Hi everybody,
I have smoked my last smoke at 10:55 PM tonight, that is why I am on here to get my mind off of of it.

Zyban is twice a day now and a whole lotta willpower, I will do this , the only tough part is my husband is not going down that road just yet, like I said before one demon at a time here. The drinking has stopped and we are doing good, I will not push the boat on the smoking with him, besides it has to be when he is ready to do, not because I want him too!

See you all later and would really be good right about now!

Love you all,
Penelope
Old 07-06-2004, 01:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Penelope.. No feed back here. Just know what you are going through.
How are you doing today? Do you suck on a lemom?? Are you using any little tricks.
Good Luck and HUGS clancy46 (thelma)
Old 07-06-2004, 06:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
KingsWeaver, We Are One

Red face Blah

Hey Clancy,
Lemon no, but I did eat some sweattarts, not to many just a few. I am drinking water. Today I took some meds because I had a horrible night and didn't get much sleep. So after Roy and my stepdaughter left I crashed out in his recliner. The phone would not stop ringing and our hyper boy as we like to call him would not stop barking, lol

I am doing okay as of right now, took some more meds and it is chilling out. man this root nerve means business, its wants to be released and has made that very clear to me. I wanted to just cut the darn thing out but my husband said would you like that side of your body to function? So I guess that is not an option, lol the day is drawing near an I am doing pretty darn good with the first day without not even one puff, one day at a time here.

You take care :heart:
Penelope
Old 07-08-2004, 06:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
KingsWeaver, We Are One

Red face Doing Good!

Hi everybody,
This Zyban is really doing the trick, that and my willingness to quit. Just checking in with y'all. It's been almost 3 days and I haven't had thed urge to go postal on anybody yet, even with this shoulder pain. but what's up with the no feedback, feels like y'all just dumped me and I didn't think that was going to happen on SR.

I really could use support and here I am :titanic floating about by myself! Well for those of you who have posted here I thank you!

Love you all,
Penelope
Old 07-08-2004, 08:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Gee Penelope,

It's a slow forum anyway, and it's Thursday. :wink2: I'm sure you are not forgotten. But hey! There are two new folks on this forum that haven't gotten much in the way of responses. Betcha' if you talk to them they'll talk to you.

I'm glad you're doing so well. Keep hanging in there!

Hugs,
Smoke
Old 07-09-2004, 04:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Penelope Hi... HUGS
i check this site at least 3 times per day, am concerned, i care, but was checking for your updates. So proud of you ,3 days is wonderfull. Hang in there. When we have to, we do it. Thinking of you all the time, of that you can be sure.
Love ya thelma
Old 07-09-2004, 02:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
giz

Originally Posted by smoke gets in my eyes
Being forced into something against my choice calls for rebellion! All the people who wanted me to stop smoking probably encouraged me to smoke longer. But then I found something else to rebel against. The cigarette. IT was trying to MAKE me SMOKE it! NO! It couldn't make me. No sir. I was not going to do the bidding of any old paper wrapped plant particles. As IF!
That's exactly what helped me the first time! We are on opposite sides, me and the Cigarette Demon. It is trying to control me, steal me, lie to me.

I explained this to the bf who is dealing with an A problem. Vewing the vice as the "enemy" and not the "comforting thing" goes great lengths.

giz
Old 07-11-2004, 06:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
KingsWeaver, We Are One

Red face Doing okay

Hi everybody,
Its been almost 6 days since I have had a cigarette, I have just had a lot on my mind lately. This upcoming surgery which is tomorrow, I have to be at the hospital at 12:00 Noon scared to death, I really hate the going under part of the whole deal.

My husband (tryinagain) is doing good too, still not drinking but is very concerned, so he is smoking more than usaul. He just wants to hear the words that "she is okay and doing just fine"

Clancy, the other reason you have not seen me in here posting to much is it hurts to type, my nerve buddy starts acting up if I use my left side to much, I think my left nerve is trying to recruit my right nerve to join in on the fun.

I will be back in here to let you know that I am okay, in fact I will shoot you a PM just as soon as I can.

Love you too,
Penelope