Notices

Doing new things

Old 04-22-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Doing new things

I just keep falling off. So I have scheduled for a councellor to call me tomorrow morning to set up a plan and meetings. And will attend my fist aa-meeting on Friday. I am scared and my mind is all over the place. But I have nothing to loose. In my professional life I am very solution-oriented, need to apply that to my addiction. But it is hard, and I realized that I need to focus on me, and find it hard to relate to people close to me. "Normal" people donīt understand. I have a sister with similar problems although not as far off as I am, she tells me councelling is ****, and that she will help me.... I have a boyfriend telling me to just donīt drink. They are not helping me. I feel so alone. I hope the aa meeting will help me see that I am not alone. Of course SR does that too, but I need some "real" people too I think.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you, Laura. Congratulations for being proactive and taking charge. Keep us posted.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's common for others to not understand how difficult this is. That's a good reason to come here and to know that we 'get it'. Going to AA could be helpful too if you're looking for face-to-face situations.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! AA is a great place to interact with like mineded people. Lots of good people and compassion in my experience.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

xa-speakers.org and listen to Sandy B. explaining the steps in the Saturday Morning Live meetings.....

they are recorded meetings from the late '80's....but still relevant today.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I think the counsellor is a great idea. I use to think counselling was crap, but I tell you, after I saw this alcohol counsellor things really turned around for me. He definitely helped give me some tools and sent me to some programs that I also found helpful.