Notices

Lexapro for anxiety

Old 04-15-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lexapro for anxiety

Anyone taken lexapro after quitting? Did it work for you?
Old 04-16-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry I'm brand new here. Lexapro after quitting what?
A few months ago I was put on lexapro to deal with my depression without my doctor knowing about my addiction to codeine. The lexapro helped with the depression but the side effects of initially starting were pretty bad. I had horrible nausea for the first 2 weeks as well as a really upset stomach. I didn't have an appetite and I lost about 5 pounds in only a few weeks. I'd definitely speak to your doctor about dosages and side effects
Old 04-16-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry. Quitting drinking and I have extreme anxiety and mild depression so trying it out
Old 04-16-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've just been prescribed Zoloft for depression/anxiety which is in the same drug family (SSRI) as Lexapro. I've been sober for 3 months and just started the pills today. I'll keep you posted
Old 04-16-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awesome Ty!
Old 04-16-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
apo

zoloft has worked for me
for depression treatment
all ssri need time to accumulate a certain level in the blood for them to work
so give it a chance but do not expect imediate results
Old 04-16-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I take Lexapro, but I don't have anxiety; just mild depression.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How has the Lexapro been working for you FeenixxRising?
Old 04-17-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
How has the Lexapro been working for you FeenixxRising?
I originally started with Paxil (an SSRI class anti-depressant) in 1995. At the time I was going through some issues that brought on what my Dr. called "Situational Depression". After ~ two weeks, I felt immensely better. My depression was gone, and my mood was very positive. Once my issues were resolved, I considered stopping the Paxil, but I decided to continue using it because I felt so much better, and my outlook on life had become very positive. Paxil also helped with my "social anxiety".

Fast forward to 2013. I had been having trouble with fatigue. My Dr. felt it was due to the Paxil, so he had me switch to Lexapro. Like Paxil, Lexapro is the same SSRI class of drug, but it's newer. So far, it's worked to keep my depression under control, and my social anxiety is still gone. I had no issues switching from Paxil to Lexapro.

FYI, there is no correlation between my drinking and my anti-depressant medications. I was taking Paxil for at least 10 years before my drinking became a problem.

If your Doctor suggested using Lexapro, you may want to consider it. But that's up to you. My advice is to talk at length with your doctor, make sure you understand all the side effects and then make a decision. No two people are alike, so these types of medications affect everyone differently, so if you decide to use it, be sure to keep in touch with your Doctor.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi! I was put on Paxil originally, for Social anxiety, after I had self medicated with alcohol for too many years to count. It definitely worked, but with healthy side effects, which became very annoying. When Lexapro went generic, my physician recommended I go on it due to it being a cleaner drug. FOR ME, because everyone handles these SSRIs differently, Lexapro has been great!

It has barely any side effects and really helps with my anxiety. Be sure not to drink on it ! I used alcohol in the past for my anxiety, now Lexapro....the two don't mix!

It does take a few days to build in your system, so give it some time. Best of luck!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ty! I'm day three on it tmrw I think I feel something but we will see I know it takes time hope it works for me