Notices

Instant irritability! (rant)

Old 04-14-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Instant irritability! (rant)

So I'm twelve days sober. Doing great, using the tools in my toolbox, etc.

But every time I'm around my (live-in) bf, I get pretty much instantly irritable. We don't hold the same schedule very much (I work nights and weekends, he works days during the week) but we still have hours that we're in the apartment together.

And he gets on my last nerve. I've been working on being patient and ignoring focusing on him, instead focusing on myself and trying not to fret, but it's just not working so I figured I'd vent here for a sec.

Why does he bother me so much all of a sudden?! It's like everything I say, he has to one-up. He is RIGHT about EVERYTHING, in his book. And it drives me crazy. I know I'm letting it get to me, but I feel mocked, scorned, unsupported and generally angry.

I find myself WISHING he'd abuse alcohol more, or get outright angry at me, so that I'd have an excuse to run away. I'm not going to instigate anything, that'd be too low, even for me (ha), but golly gee, I can't handle much more of this before I just SNAP.

I feel like there's an elephant in the room, the elephant of me not drinking. I've posted before about how he doesn't understand why I quit, that he misses his drinking buddy, that our relationship was founded on partying and drinking.

But why the irritability? Even the way he walks, talks, makes noise, snores at night, all of it - driving me insane. I can't believe that I'm letting such a silly little thing bother me so much.

#endrant
Old 04-14-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 12 Days Rogue,

I guess, ... on the bright side, ...it's a good thing y'all work different schedules,, ...in these early days.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 12 days. I don't have any answers, but I still wanted to say congratulations. It does get easier.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Roque , In the beginning of my quest for sobriety my SO was supportive very much so ad nauseum! Then jealous of my counseling and meetings. I try to stay in myself so as not to have any outbursts that make me look as bad sober as I'm sure I did when drunk! She has a way of taking a simple request or question and irritating the hell out of me over nothing, but then that has been true for 34 years, I try to grin and bear it . Just doing my best to get another day under my belt and survive! You can too! I know it! You are probably right about losing a drinking partner, I felt the same way when she sold her bar and quit! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 04-14-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your not alone, I don't live in with my gf but I have that same irritability issue, like she way she chews and breaths it like runs right thru me. I know it's so silly and I do snap but I'm learning to cope with it. It's not particularly healthy if the whole relationship is based off partying, it may leave you set up for failure in the long run. Hopefully he can be a bit more understanding in the near future. Instead of trying to internalize it all, when the time is right just sit him down and as calmly as possable try to explain to him how bad you are feeling inside, and that in a way it's not entirely his fault, it's the drinking and how bad you really want to stop. There isn't an elephant in the room you just need to address it in a way. I hope this helps...
Old 04-14-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have similar issues. Been married for close to 15 years, and drinking was a big part of our relationship. The first 7 years it was just us, so we often went out for dinner/ drinks etc. then my daughter was born, and that's when my drinking really picked up speed. He never said anything until a year ago, and that's when I got sober.

Now it seems as though everything he does irritates me to no end. Some real issues, but also some really stupid and mundane things. I often feel bad because I honestly don't think any of the behaviors are new, so don't know why now they bother me so much.

Kind of worried myself because I am coming up in 1 year sober, and it's still an issue for me, so afraid it will always be this way...God I hope not.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My completely unprofessional opinion is that you're channelling frustration in other areas of your life to him, as he's the easiest and most convenient target. I'm not saying you don't have valid reasons to be irritated with him, but that's my thought seeing how it's a sudden thing. Personally, when I get that irritated with someone, it's generally because they are somehow reflecting a frustration I have with myself.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DancingDiva View Post
My completely unprofessional opinion is that you're channelling frustration in other areas of your life to him, as he's the easiest and most convenient target. I'm not saying you don't have valid reasons to be irritated with him, but that's my thought seeing how it's a sudden thing. Personally, when I get that irritated with someone, it's generally because they are somehow reflecting a frustration I have with myself.
This is exactly what I was thinking!! But I'm not really sure what I'm frustrated about, with myself or recovery or whatnot. Perplexed. Will sleep on it
Old 04-14-2014, 10:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

great job on 12 days. tell him how you feel pray for him... god bless. it will get better in recovery it always does if you keep working your program
Old 04-14-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Roguedreams, 12 days sober is FANTASTIC, congratulations. Wish you the best with everything as well, rootin for ya.