Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

How common to replace alcoholism with another addiction?I have,its getting me down

Notices

How common to replace alcoholism with another addiction?I have,its getting me down

Old 04-14-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am a binge drinking alcoholic that has tried to stop numerous times. I stopped drinking about 3 weeks and so far I have been pleasantly surprised that I have been controlling my urge to drink relatively easily.

Throughout my life I have gone through phases of exercising and eating healthily and phases of over-eating large amounts of junk food mainly due to feeling low from excessive drinking. So my weight has gone up and down throughout my life, sometimes im slim, sometimes im fat.

I have also had a sex addiction in the past that I have struggled to control, drinking again contributed to this. This addiction may seem fairly harmless but without going into the details, it can be very destructive indeed.

Im very happy i have stopped drinking however since I have stopped drinking I have started over-eating massively and my sex addiction has has come back with a vengeance. Im finding it very hard to get these two addictions under control and its really getting me down. The fact I have gone through phases of gorging on junk food before im beginning to worry about what the hell im doing to my arteries, im half expecting to drop dead of a heart attack at any moment (im middle aged). Its making me feel depressed and im worried i will start drinking again because of it.

Has anyone experienced anything like this and what did you do about it?
Old 04-14-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think it's common for people to have addictive personalities and switch addictions.

What exactly are you doing to deal with your addiction now that you've stopped drinking? Or have you simply stopped without seeking outside help or support?
Old 04-14-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that you have to get to the root cause of the addictions before you will be free of them. Have you tried counselling or any method to help you make the changes in yourself and your life that will bring you peace?
Old 04-14-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Did I send you that link to the AA Big Book the other day? The Big Book is also used for Food Addictions.

But the 1st 164 pages should help open you eyes. The addictions are just a symptom of something deeper going on.

Big Book Online Fourth Edition

Linked With Permission Of AA World Services,inc

I also struggle with food. Always stickin stuff in my mouth.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

why don't u try to reverse your replaced addiction with a healthy one. go walking. make that your addiction. or try to obtain an hobby to replace as an addiction. i believe it will work out well for you. since you are complaining about weight gain. it would be best for you to put some sportive activities in your daily routine. you will start feeling great and even more healthier….
Old 04-14-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

The problem with me was me,. not the drugs I was addicted to.

Until I addressed that void in me that I was trying to fill with 'stuff', I lurched from addiction to addiction.

I realised eventually the void is bottomless - it can never be filled with 'stuff' - but it can be healed

like Anna said maybe you need to look at root causes here?

D
Old 04-14-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would recommend seeing a good addiction counselor. I've been doing that for six years now and it's helped me a lot in all areas of my life.