Notices

Help with post acute withdrawal

Old 04-13-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help with post acute withdrawal

Hi everyone, I gave up drinking about two months ago after drinking heavily for four years - I made it through the acute withdrawal phase with the help of a bit of diazepam (not taken it for 6 weeks) but I'm still having really bad anxiety and it's really effecting my social life. My question is would it be ok to occasionally use the diazepam I have left, say 2mg, for social functions without harming my recovery?

The reason for asking this is I originally gave up drinking three months ago and made it through the acute withdrawals only to relapse a month later which put my post acute symptoms eg anxiety etc. recovery back to the start.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

That is a medical question.

My anxiety lifted after working those 12 steps. Everyone is different.

Maybe go back to doctor and talk with them?
Old 04-13-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I suppose I should, but I went last time and he wanted to put me on antidepressants and I really don't want to be on any long term medication at all I was just seeing if anyone here had alcohol PAWS and took diazepam for the anxiety and if it was beneficial to them.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

I would definitely talk to your doctor about all of this. If you feel you don't want to be on long term medication, bring that up too. Don't be shy. Doctors can't help if they don't know the full story and that includes our fears and hesitations. If you walk away from your appointment feeling frustrated and let down, it's not doing you any good.

My personal story: I was diagnosed as having general anxiety disorder and was given Xanax to take as needed for it. I am currently 6 weeks sober. I took a couple of the Xanax to help me through the withdrawals but I haven't felt the need to take any since Day 5. My anxiety went away on its own.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, I am due to see my doctor next week, I just feel he will be off with me as I refused to go onto antidepressants last time I saw him...

I can feel my anxiety gradually abating but it's still not at a level where I can go out to meet friends for a meal etc. so I was looking for a temporary solution that doesn't put back my post acute withdrawals. I know how addictive diazepam can be, but I only have a few left that were given to me during the acute withdrawal phase but I didn't need them all.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I take half of one occasionally for panic attacks, but if I had a problem with pills I Don't think I would. xxxxx
Old 04-14-2014, 12:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your advice, I'll wait and double check with my doctor first Going to join a gym today too - heard it helps with the symptoms of paws so I might not need the diazepam if some rigorous exercise calms my anxiety down

I so hate booze and what it has done to me! Funny thing is about 8 years ago when I was at uni I abused drugs every week that society considers extremely dangerous like LSD, ecstasy, ketamine etc. but I ended up with a first class degree and I always felt great. After uni I decided to grow up and stop the drugs and move to sensible alcohol, now after five years of booze my brain's buggered, I can't concentrate, I have anxiety 75% of the day, can barely function at work etc. I just think it's nuts that the legal alcohol has crippled me more than class A drugs :/