Notices

Keys to quitting? any thoughts

Old 04-10-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Keys to quitting? any thoughts

Well I quit smoking 5 years ago for a month and a half before my first child was born. My mind said you can have just one. So I had one and it tasted like crap after 1.5 months but shortly after that 1 turned into a pack a day again. Now 5 years back into it I need to quit for good. I used candies and lousages which helped but I just remember being so edgy and upset. I can go 2 days and be ok. Its the third day that gets me or smelling someone else smoking. I hope to tackle this though because I have wasted 15 years of money, life, and taste due to this habit. I need a plan and retrain my brain to know why I don't need that nasty cigarette. I went cold turkey and I am thinking this is the best because with gums/patches I feel I am just prolonging the inevitable of caving back in.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good morning I'm on a comfortable day 2. I love/d smoking and my quit was for my family. I imagined it was going to be much harder then it's been thus far. But I'm not doing it cold turkey so that may be why. For me the actually physical act of smoking is what I loved. After I removed drinking the only chance I got to step outside my hectic world was to go outside to smoke. It was my 5 minute comfort reprieve. But the knowledge of how awful it is was always in the back if my mind. I'd imagine myself on a drs examin table being told I had stage 4 lung cancer. So while maybe it's the easy way out my quit is being done with the help of my dr.

Two weeks prior to quit I was put on wellbutrin 350mg this an SSRi but is different then others because it mainly works on dopamine which is key in smoking addictions. After the 2 week Pre dosing while smoking. I did a full stop of cigarettes however the addition of the nicoderm patch has been added. I am following that program for 8 weeks and will slowly wean off the nicotine (which is the least harmful element of cigarettes). Once the emotional attachment to smoking is broken it is my hopes that in 8 weeks weaning off the 7mg if nicotine transdermaly will be uncomfortable but much easier.

This is just my plan. I never tried to quit smoking before just like I never tried to quit drinking before with the exception if temporary cessation while pregnant. If it can be as easy as I'm finding quitting the smokes to be I have no doubt I will never smoke again. Nor will I drink.

I wish you much luck and hope that you can kick it once and for all. Maybe give your Dr a call and see if you can set up a quit plan.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

you might take a look at the Alan Carr book, "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" . For me, there was no easy way but Mr Carr does have some positive thoughts.

the biggest secret to quitting smoking is don't light up! No matter what! Don't celebrate the first 30 days by having "just one" as there is no such thing!

Good luck! you won't regret quitting! I never have!

Love from Lenina