Notices

Can't sleep

Old 04-09-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't sleep

It's 2:05am. I'm exhausted but can't sleep. This sucks.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Insomnia is wicked, I go through it at times. The more I worry about it, the less I sleep. Right now I am having chamomile tea to prepare for going to bed. I also dab lavender on a cloth and breathe it. It seems to help me. I have read the best thing to do is read. Also have read do not use computer, do not smoke. Easier said than done. Hope you rest soon.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know it sounds really old-school but hot milk helps me. I put a small bit of cocoa in it to flavor.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have been cutting down my drinking dramatically (almost quit) and I know what it is like. Twice a week I won't sleep a second, and other days I wake up violently with the sensation of falling 5-8 times a night.

There are herbal teas (chamomile, lemonbalm) and if it is really serious there are medications.

I also want to echo the advice about using the computer - the screen stimulates a part of your brain leading to a high degree of wakefulness.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never slept the first night...but it got better...try to close your eyes and rest as much as you can

D
Old 04-09-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dealing with sleep problems is a common theme. After 100+ days I stil have trouble sometimes.

"I also want to echo the advice about using the computer - the screen stimulates a part of your brain leading to a high degree of wakefulness."

^^^^ Do you mean like the other night when my wife introduced me to spider solitaire? I woke her up at 6AM when I crawled into bed.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sometimes I watch this video to relax. Just sit in bed with the lights out and maximize the screen.

Click on link for full size below to maximize , ahh sounds of waves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_Nt8uPwtgo
Old 04-09-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Dealing with sleep problems is a common theme. After 100+ days I stil have trouble sometimes.

"I also want to echo the advice about using the computer - the screen stimulates a part of your brain leading to a high degree of wakefulness."

^^^^ Do you mean like the other night when my wife introduced me to spider solitaire? I woke her up at 6AM when I crawled into bed.
Oh man, don't even get me started. I'll go to imgur or reddit and the hours just disappear.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Needinghelp82
Welcome to the club.

I've been in the same scenario. You get into bed...... 9 pm rolls by, then 10 pm, then 11 pm, then 12 am .......... then it's 7 am. Make no mistake, the bedroom ceiling is scarier than even the most horrible scariest nightmare........ at least during a nightmare you know you are sleeping in the background. It's tough for sure, it will almost "break" you.

Hang in there, it (slowly) gets better
Old 04-09-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Needinghelp82 View Post
Hi Needinghelp82, it's 4.04am and I'm the very same my friend cannot sleep at all, for a change it's not withdrawal but a heavy cold. The joys of living in Scotland.

But hey it's not worth drinking over. All the best.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

if you can, go with the flow....get up and do something....

if not, lay as still as possible and rest your body.....

I put on xa-speakers.org on my mp3 on my cell and fell asleep to a nite-nite story.....

sleep will come, your body will relearn how to sleep normally, give it time....

yep, milk and a turkey sandwich.....

with love & hugs to you,
~SB
Old 04-09-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's now 4.09 in UK and I can't sleep, went to bed a bit too early with my stinking cold! I'm guessing your asleep now and I'm awake, the Universe really does balance itself! Sod it I'm going to get a drive thru cup of tea and listen to a cd...then back to bed:-)

It took me a long while to get into regular sleeping patterns in recovery, it really helped that in the beginning I went to AA because I heard they had a solution and all those nights I could not sleep I was reading and writing, feeling like I was finally taking action to recover rather than miserably going from one day without alcohol to the next in the hope that thus time it would magically be different.

Nite!

Now I want a turkey sandwich and have no turkey!
Old 04-09-2014, 11:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I managed to get an hour. I started to drift off several times but anxiety woke me up.

Dh was great though, gave me a hug and I got an hour. I've had to ask my mum to look after dd for an hour so I can try and sleep (can't of course )

Here goes day 2
Old 04-10-2014, 12:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things will get better needinghelp

go you!

D
Old 04-10-2014, 01:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've had insomnia most of my life. I am not an A but a Codie. I used to go shopping at a 24 hour store when I was in college. I have wrapped presents and taken care of holiday chores without prying eyes. I've played innumerable games of solitaire, free cell and spider. I've read a lot of books. Drank a lot of tea. Paid bills. Done some writing. Gone to the gym terribly early. Walked my dog in the moonlight. Prayed.

When my Qualifier would tell me he drinks bc he can't sleep, I'd want to throttle him. In 20 years I've rarely had him pass through when I am up with my insomnia. It is a nightly thing. I can fall asleep, but I do not stay asleep. So I know the sleep apnea snoring is due to the drink. That will tip me if he relapses. Accepting the wacky sleep pattern rather than meds or alcohol has been my best defense.

Peace rather than panic. Good luck to you.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Straightshoot View Post
Insomnia is wicked, I go through it at times. The more I worry about it, the less I sleep. Right now I am having chamomile tea to prepare for going to bed. I also dab lavender on a cloth and breathe it. It seems to help me. I have read the best thing to do is read. Also have read do not use computer, do not smoke. Easier said than done. Hope you rest soon.
Bang on! I do the same.

Consult doctor before, but right after dinner I start with double shots I call them. 2 bags on Herbal tea with Chamomile, tilia flowers, rosebuds, etc. I had Valerian to the mix right before bedtime with soft Nature music/sounds, combined with deep breathing techniques.

I'm not counting on doing this forever, but I'm only sober since April 1 and it helps calm me down. Also staying away from caffein, sugar, anything that stimulates the nervous system.

If this does not resolve itself, I would have a chat with my doctor.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
Bang on! I do the same.

Consult doctor before, but right after dinner I start with double shots I call them. 2 bags on Herbal tea with Chamomile, tilia flowers, rosebuds, etc. I had Valerian to the mix right before bedtime with soft Nature music/sounds, combined with deep breathing techniques.

I'm not counting on doing this forever, but I'm only sober since April 1 and it helps calm me down. Also staying away from caffein, sugar, anything that stimulates the nervous system.

If this does not resolve itself, I would have a chat with my doctor.
I'm at the doctors tomorrow. I thought it was today but got the dates wrong.

I'm so tired and I'm feeling poo. I know a lot of this is my GAD (I've had these symptoms before I drank) but it's scary.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

The first days are often anxious. Try not to worry too much - it's pretty normal
It helped me to think of the anxiety as a simple, if uncomfortable, by-product of my mind and body getting better.
D
Old 04-10-2014, 02:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Years ago I bought a desktop app 'pzizz' You can create recordings with soothing music and a person talking you down into sleep. Sometimes it works well, sometimes not.
It appears they had some trouble with their phone apps and are relaunching this month. I think this may help.
pzizz.com