I can finally breath - literally!

Old 04-08-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can finally breath - literally!

A few weeks ago at an Alanon meeting, one of the men talked about the tightness he used to have in his chest that is finally gone. I could really relate. It doesn't have to do with not having stress in our lives --- though that really can help --- it's working the program, dealing with stress and letting it go.

I also have food intolerances. Almost every time I've found a food that my body doesn't like and take it out of my food list, I can breath better. Then I learned to deal with stress and the tightness in my chest was gone.

Yesterday I went to my doctor who does my Nutritional Response Testing / nutritional balancing (for foods, heavy metals, etc) and did a chiropractic appt with her. Since my sense of what normal is supposed to feel like is very skewed, I didn't think anything was wrong but wanted to check. Maybe it was my newly found instincts.

She opened up my chest along my sternum, released the muscles in my neck and shoulders, and showed me stretches to work on. She also found a problem with the right lung and did something with that. This feeling of being able to breath is probably what normal is, but it feels really strange and abnormal to me yet! It is so absolutely !#*@% WONDERFUL!! No wonder I always felt better if I laid down several times a day and did deep breathing. My body feels better today than I have in a long time. Still working on healing some other physical issues. Maybe this was the last missing link on what I need to get there.

Anyone else have breathing experiences that made a big difference? It's my birthday tomorrow and this was an amazing present to get.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That sounds amazing!

Congratulations. And happy birthday too.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

It is amazing! I was so used to what my 'normal' was, I didn't know I what normal should feel like. The physical tightness was probably caused by all these years of stress.

Kind of like dealing with the progression of alcoholism in the home, becoming a codie, adapting to emotional abuse... any of it would be easy to see if it happened overnight instead through months and years. Awareness, Acceptance, Action.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Years ago I went in for a regular 'ole relaxation massage at my therapist's office. She was uber busy that day so I changed my appt to see her associate instead & was immediately happy because she was great at using deep pressure to dig into my shoulder knots.

When she worked her way around the lower shoulder blade, I suddenly felt a sort of internal pop or release & all of a sudden my lung capacity literally expanded & I took in this HUGE rush of air. The muscle must've been wrapped around or holding tightly to the area around the lung on that side & was compressing it somehow. Over time I had never noticed that I'd been forced to do more shallow breathing. (this was before I practiced yoga regularly or did any breathing exercises/meditation)

Like you, I was blown away at the noticable difference to being able to breathe more deeply & feel that expansion in the chest... as well as how much better I felt with more oxygen circulating in my body all around!

Happy Birthday!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yea! Boooom! Happy birthday!!!!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday!

And yes, I can breathe easier. Most definitely.

But another aspect of it is that for years, I didn't have room for feeling anything -- and that includes bodily issues. Once I didn't have to worry about what he was going to be like every single day, and once I didn't have to worry about if today was going to be the day he showed up at my house with a shotgun, I started feeling again. Both emotionally and physically.

My physical therapist thinks the injury I'm dealing with now is an old one -- one that I haven't allowed myself to pay attention to, but compensated for, so it's gotten worse.

But the main thing is -- I'm feeling things now. For better, for worse, life is real again.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Happy birthday to you!!
Old 04-09-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
Years ago I went in for a regular 'ole relaxation massage at my therapist's office. She was uber busy that day so I changed my appt to see her associate instead & was immediately happy because she was great at using deep pressure to dig into my shoulder knots.

When she worked her way around the lower shoulder blade, I suddenly felt a sort of internal pop or release & all of a sudden my lung capacity literally expanded & I took in this HUGE rush of air. The muscle must've been wrapped around or holding tightly to the area around the lung on that side & was compressing it somehow. Over time I had never noticed that I'd been forced to do more shallow breathing. (this was before I practiced yoga regularly or did any breathing exercises/meditation)

Like you, I was blown away at the noticable difference to being able to breathe more deeply & feel that expansion in the chest... as well as how much better I felt with more oxygen circulating in my body all around!

Happy Birthday!
Very cool!
Old 04-09-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
Happy Birthday!

And yes, I can breathe easier. Most definitely.

But another aspect of it is that for years, I didn't have room for feeling anything -- and that includes bodily issues. Once I didn't have to worry about what he was going to be like every single day, and once I didn't have to worry about if today was going to be the day he showed up at my house with a shotgun, I started feeling again. Both emotionally and physically.

My physical therapist thinks the injury I'm dealing with now is an old one -- one that I haven't allowed myself to pay attention to, but compensated for, so it's gotten worse.

But the main thing is -- I'm feeling things now. For better, for worse, life is real again.
That makes a lot of sense. Here's to being able to feel again.