Notices

A New Chapter

Old 04-07-2014, 01:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A New Chapter

Alcohol and I have a very close relationship, but it is time for me to try and kick her out of my life for good. Thankfully, I haven't hit rock bottom or ruined my life, but I am consuming enough alcohol to guaruntee myself an early exit. I've debated with myself for years if complete sobriety is necesary, but my half measures and excuses inevitably lead me right back to a forgotten night and regretful morning. I find myself so conflicted, because many of my best decisions and fondest memories happened under the influence of alcohol and other drugs. I'm actually scared that I will miss out on something great or be a lesser person without alcohol in my life, which sounds absurd when I say it outloud. A sober me is still me, and there are only positives to come from clean living. Now I will try and write a new and healthier chapter in my life and look forward to fighting this fight one day at a time alongside the rest of you great people trying to improve your lives.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR soberinseatown.

Getting sober saved my life for sure. You'll find support here

D
Old 04-07-2014, 02:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like I might be at a similar stage to you - not quite at rockbottom but if I continue as I have been doing for the past couple of years, I'll get there very rapidly. Welcome to SR.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

11 months ago I was almost evicted because my money went towards booze, and I also lost 3 part-time jobs in a span of 3 months. After I finally walked into my first AA meeting, I've been following the program and it's changed my life COMPLETELY. I highly recommend trying it and giving it a try with complete thoroughness.

I know exactly what you mean with the fear of missing out (FOMO). During a group therapy session we talked a lot about how common this is for alcoholics. To this day I'm still worried I'll miss a grillout with my drinking friends. But after a while in sobriety I've actually been comfortable "staying in" on the weekend. That has NEVER happened until recently and I believe it will get easier. I also know that my friends that really care will still stay around; and if they don't want to support my sobriety (one of them doesn't) then they were never a real friend (only a drinking buddy)

Let us know how it goes--we are in your corner!
Old 04-07-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome xxx
Old 04-07-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi soberinseatown, welcome to SR
Old 04-07-2014, 03:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm constantly in awe watching the improvements of people who plug the jug for a period of time. Yes life continues to happen but we handle these things in a healthy manner without drinking. Just one of the many things changed for me was being comfortable in my own skin was a huge great change.

BE WELL
Old 04-08-2014, 01:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the support and encouragement. Almost through day 2, and while I've been a little anxious, the day has been great. I think I might be forming a seltzer water and lime habit. Have you seen the prices of limes recently? Ah well, on to day 3 and paying forward your encouragement to others on here.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm developing a herbal tea habit! Maybe we need to create a sub-forum on here...