I miss him ...

Old 04-01-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I miss him ...

Hi all, first post.
Long story , but I will shorten. 10 years living together and I left my Sig other.
He is sober but has not attended an AA meeting in 9 years. I think I left because he is emotionally unavailable. He withheld affection pushed me away ,never told me he loved me unless I said it first etc. He never apologized blamed me for everything, and so much more.. oh and he was so crabby all the time.
I know it's crazy but I miss him so much! WHY? I know I love him, but I Couldn't live with fear any more , I never felt safe . I have spoken to him, he says he misses me etc.. then says he will call and doesn't . Do you think this could be anything to do with not going to AA or has he just not loved me for a long time? Oh and ps, two weeks before I Moved out he drank a huge guzzle of my wine, what the heck?
I am really struggling , I want him back but I do not want his behaviors. Maybe I Expect too much? A hug, Orr telling me I look good sometimes.. I am not even sure he would take me back, I Am terrified to even talk about it to him. I am scared to call him the fear of rejection is so strong.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi horse girl. If he took a swig of your wine he is not on the wagon. Maybe he is hiding his drinking. I would suggest you talk to him, ask him what is going on. Just a suggestion. Good luck on whatever you do.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Horsegirl,

What I've learned so far is we don't deserve to be treated unkindly. Alcohol or no alcohol. It doesnt matter. Best wishes to you. If he's sober, why did he drink your wine? When a guy is angry, I'd stay away so to protect yourself. Be safe & take care if yourself.xo hugs to you
Bernadette777
Old 04-01-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks all, I just 're read my post . Ugh , I sound like a 3rd grader ...
I am confused ,definitely, the mixed signals are the worst , it keeps me guessing .
I would take him back , that's the sad thing ,if only he would ask.
Thanks for the thoughts .
Old 04-01-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Originally Posted by horsegirl View Post
Ugh , I sound like a 3rd grader ...
Join the class. I think we're all a bunch of grade-schooler when it comes to figuring this stuff out.

Actually, if you reread your own post, you lay it all out right there:

1)He is sober but has not attended an AA meeting in 9 years.
2)I think I left because he is emotionally unavailable.
3)He withheld affection pushed me away ,never told me he loved me unless I said it first etc.
4)He never apologized blamed me for everything, and so much more.. oh and he was so crabby all the time.
5)I Couldn't live with fear any more
6) I never felt safe
7) says he will call and doesn't
8) two weeks before I Moved out he drank a huge guzzle of my wine
9) I do not want his behaviors.

These are your words. All I did was copy, paste and add a few numbers. Whatever you decide you owe it to yourself to read your post a few more times. Let it sink in. Trust me, I know how hard this is. You're a caring, giving person who just wants that to be reciprocated by the person you love. That is NOT asking to much. You deserve to be happy.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SeriousKarma View Post
Join the class. I think we're all a bunch of grade-schooler when it comes to figuring this stuff out.

Actually, if you reread your own post, you lay it all out right there:

1)He is sober but has not attended an AA meeting in 9 years.
2)I think I left because he is emotionally unavailable.
3)He withheld affection pushed me away ,never told me he loved me unless I said it first etc.
4)He never apologized blamed me for everything, and so much more.. oh and he was so crabby all the time.
5)I Couldn't live with fear any more
6) I never felt safe
7) says he will call and doesn't
8) two weeks before I Moved out he drank a huge guzzle of my wine
9) I do not want his behaviors.

These are your words. All I did was copy, paste and add a few numbers. Whatever you decide you owe it to yourself to read your post a few more times. Let it sink in. Trust me, I know how hard this is. You're a caring, giving person who just wants that to be reciprocated by the person you love. That is NOT asking to much. You deserve to be happy.
Wow it's so clear everything. I am really struggling with the whole not being with him ,lime I'm nothing without the two of us. I am attending alanon and finally got a sponsor , who of course tells me the same thing , "read your words, listen to what you are saying". The reality is so scary , maybe it will never work out with him , maybe need to move on.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am in the same boat right now. I am missing the good, not the bad. But I have to remember they go together. I think sometimes the drinking makes them completely different and unable to even feel or express emotions. My AXBF moved out 3 weeks ago. Since then he has gone the spectrum from saying he wants to come back, to ignoring my calls and messages, to saying he will call and then he doesn't, or one time he did call and said he wants to talk but then when I called back he didn't answer and we still haven't talked. I totally get why you are missing him...I feel if mine asked me I would take him back too. I am trying to figure out why I am feeling this way. I am going to go to my first al anon tomorrow.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I regret not moving out when I should have. Don't go there. It doesn't have to be anyone's fault or failure. It doesn't even have to be forever. Space in a relationship defines boundaries and individuality. You need to know when the alternative is better and how close you want to be. Relationships really don't work out if there isn't growth, respect and understanding. You won't ever find that if you are wasting your time with someone who is unable to give it.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LifeRoad View Post
I regret not moving out when I should have. Don't go there. It doesn't have to be anyone's fault or failure. It doesn't even have to be forever. Space in a relationship defines boundaries and individuality. You need to know when the alternative is better and how close you want to be. Relationships really don't work out if there isn't growth, respect and understanding. You won't ever find that if you are wasting your time with someone who is unable to give it.
That is great advice . I moved out bought a home in a different city, and now am scared. I need to take time to get c o comfortable in my new home and neighborhood hopefully then I will start seeing the truth.. hopefully....
Old 04-02-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome to SR, horsegirl.

I learned a lot of valuable lessons after joining SR. One of them is the following:

In one very significant way, we are a lot like the alcoholics we love. Alcoholics will often drink (feed the addiction) even after they know better. We who love alcoholics will often stay with or return to the alcoholic (feed the addiction) even after we know better.

Leaving a relationship with an alcoholic is like quitting a drug. What you are experiencing is normal and so many of us here understand your pain. You wonder how you will ever get over it and when the pain will stop. Just like AA is to an alcoholic, resources like therapy, Al-Anon, this forum, literature on alcoholism and codependency, etc. are a gift to the person leaving the alcoholic relationship. The more you do to educate yourself and work on you as opposed to focusing on the past and your relationship, the sooner you will find your path to healing and happiness.

It won't happen overnight (I remember wishing that it would), but peace and happiness are attainable. It sounds like you know your decision to leave was the right one for you. I hope you stick around here and keep sharing your concerns and ups and downs. You'll find a lot of strength in the collective wisdom here. We care about you. Keep posting.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm nothing without the two of us
Of course you are!

Just like I'm SeriousKarma. Yes, I was married to an alcoholic for 22 years who I loved with all of my heart. Yes, horrible things happened. Yes, that marriage ended. Yes, it was heartbreaking. Yes, my concept of fairy tale romance was a little shaken. But, I'm a person separate from that, and it's up to me (not my X) to define who that person is.

You're horsegirl. From what I can already tell you have some amazing qualities. AND I bet you like horses too! That's not nothing.

I'm sorry I sound like a goofy cheerleader, when probably all you want is a shoulder to cry on. You can do that too. That's ok. But, please, please, please don't sell yourself short.

I'm so glad you went to Alanon. It saved me from drowning in pointless, negative thoughts. I hope it helps you as well. (((( hugs ))))
Old 04-02-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HealingWillCome View Post

I learned a lot of valuable lessons after joining SR. One of them is the following:

In one very significant way, we are a lot like the alcoholics we love. Alcoholics will often drink (feed the addiction) even after they know better. We who love alcoholics will often stay with or return to the alcoholic (feed the addiction) even after we know better.

Leaving a relationship with an alcoholic is like quitting a drug. What you are experiencing is normal and so many of us here understand your pain. You wonder how you will ever get over it and when the pain will stop. Just like AA is to an alcoholic, resources like therapy, Al-Anon, this forum, literature on alcoholism and codependency, etc. are a gift to the person leaving the alcoholic relationship. The more you do to educate yourself and work on you as opposed to focusing on the past and your relationship, the sooner you will find your path to healing and happiness.

It won't happen overnight (I remember wishing that it would), but peace and happiness are attainable. It sounds like you know your decision to leave was the right one for you. I hope you stick around here and keep sharing your concerns and ups and downs. You'll find a lot of strength in the collective wisdom here. We care about you. Keep posting.
Well said, HealingWillCome, and worth reading twice.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HealingWillCome View Post

I am printing this and re reading it constantly until I beleive it !
Old 04-03-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

To all that have replied and all who read and all... It is quite unbelievable that one day you can be in the throws of heartache and the next you can just post a simple thing on a found forum and boom! You have found relief , people understanding , giving great advice , sharing thier stories , it is all so helpful and heart warming . Thanks to all who share and give comfort on this forum , it can be life changing , if just for today
Old 04-03-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

To all that have replied and all who read and all... It is quite unbelievable that one day you can be in the throws of heartache and the next you can just post a simple thing on a found forum and boom! You have found relief , people understanding , giving great advice , sharing thier stories , it is all so helpful and heart warming . Thanks to all who share and give comfort on this forum , it can be life changing , if just for today
Yes! SR is all about people helping people. It saved me over and over when I was at my lowest, and I still learn here every day. I'm glad you were able to find some comfort here and hope you continue to post.