My son is out of the hospital now

Old 03-31-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My son is out of the hospital now

His liver functions are still poor and he has a doctor's appointment today. He didn't want to see us but we brought him some food and clothes. He's not screaming at us now but, not friendly either. He moves very slowly, I'm worried about brain damage. He's always been fragile, aspie, and insanely fussy about food. I'm afraid he won't eat. He's anorexic thin. They want him to get on medicaid, but he needs to fill out forms. He would qualify for all kinds of services if he could fill out the forms. I'm afraid he can't focus on it long enough to get it done. Tomorrow he has another doctor's appointment.

His condition was not a result of an alcohol event but, long term damage to his liver. They claim he's had this for a long time. I suspect at least part of this is a dual diagnosis of being aspergers and diet issues. We paid to have a full psychiatric evaluation, required by the court, but he won't make the appointment.

I'm trying to step him through some of this but, he doesn't want my help.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

LifeRoad, I'm so sorry to hear about your son. I know that when my stepson was in the hospital (on 3 occasions) he was beligerent at first, but calmer later.

I can only begin to understand how much more difficult his Aspergers Syndrome makes all of this right now.

I wish I had some sage advice or experience to share about this particular combination, but hope that you can encourage him, as you can, to keep the appointments that have been made for him.

But please be prepared for him to go his own way, if that happens. I know this hurts, and I'm sending hugs and prayers for you all!
Old 03-31-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He called this morning and was cherry. He likes his doctor, went to AA last night and is very worried about his condition. He says he really wants to take care of himself. He could have a very nice life at this point.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A social worker can assist him in filling out the forms.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

He's working with a social worker now to get medicaid. He claims his last employer won't provide information. I hope they will work with that. He still refuses to go through the psych evaluation for the courts.

He has constant hand tremors and wants to see a psychiatrist for medication. I've read about so many people becoming addicted to prescribed meds I afraid. I told him he needs a therapist before he sees a psychiatrist.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In this state they can pull your tax records at DFS for your qualification. Im sure the social worker will help. Im seeing a psychiatrist now who does not prescribe me meds at all just providing therapy. Do some asking around for the right person. If my meds ever need changed this way he will be the one qualified to do so bc he knows all about everything from the therapy. Good luck and God Bless!
Old 04-01-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LifeRoad View Post
He's working with a social worker now to get medicaid. He claims his last employer won't provide information. I hope they will work with that. He still refuses to go through the psych evaluation for the courts.

He has constant hand tremors and wants to see a psychiatrist for medication. I've read about so many people becoming addicted to prescribed meds I afraid. I told him he needs a therapist before he sees a psychiatrist.
I'm just thinking here, but can you get power of attorney over him, he would of course have to sign, but I'm thinking if this is more of a psych thing, to get him help, he might actually sign it.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

He thinks he has everything under control. His thinking isn't straight but, he doesn't realize that. We encouraged him to call the social worker back and see if she could call the ex-employer. The state hasn't sent his driver's license (confiscated after the DWI), so he has no picture ID. The hospital would like to get paid, so there may be some motivation there.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Oh, my....yes, my stepson thought he had everything under control, too. That the medical professional were 'shining him on'.

I hope that your son will use all the tools and services being offered to him, but hope that you won't be too disappointed if he does not. You and your son will be in my prayers.