Notices

The AV says, "A little alcoholism isn't *so* bad"

Old 03-29-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The AV says, "A little alcoholism isn't *so* bad"

Why bother to quit drinking? One big reason for me was that I could see alcohol grabbing more and more space in my life as the years went by, crowding out time for other interests and responsibilities.

I began to understand that I truly have a problem when I found myself thinking things like, "Well, sure I drink a lot, but so do a lot of other people. Sure I'm not at my best when I'm hung over, but I still pay the bills on time. A little bit of alcoholism isn't *that* bad when you consider the broad range of problems in the world. It's not like I'm some mass murderer or anything. No problem."

I now recognize that kind of thinking as the alcoholic voice, and now at nine days into this try at sobriety I'm amazed and a little ashamed that an argument like that ever sounded at all convincing to me. I hope I never sell myself that short ever again.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Truly Cunning, baffling & powerful - Congrats on 9 days Taproot
Old 03-29-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The "alcoholic voice" is so insidious and sneaky. When I start to minimize, it's only a matter of time before I pick up. I hate, hate this addiction.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This post helped me today,

thank you tap
Old 03-29-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

very good to acknowledge... and also; that "little alcoholism" that isn't "SO bad" - gradually and sneakily gets worse and worse....
Old 03-29-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jade1224 View Post
This post helped me today,

thank you tap
Wow, it's great that you find this thread helpful, Jade. I came to SR because I needed help for me, the focus has been all on helping myself. It is humbling to think that my contribution is also helpful to you, too. I guess SR is where we all help each other to help ourselves.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Everyone that posts here contributes something. The struggles remind me, the successes inspire me, I realize I am not alone. That's why SR is so great. Stay strong!
Old 03-29-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree Taproot.
If all I want out of life is mediocre and not my best and at least I'm not the worst it could be, I know where I can find that.

I prefer I give my best, my life is of value, I can actually be a help to someone with it harder.

It's all about seeing alcohol for what it really is. A huge waste of my true value.

Great job! Thanks for sharing the positive look at what is awesome about leaving it all behind!
Old 03-29-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good post, thanks. "A little alcoholism..." Yeah, like being "a little bit pregnant"!

Keep on, it is so worth it!
Good wishes.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leshar View Post
Good post, thanks. "A little alcoholism..." Yeah, like being "a little bit pregnant"!

Keep on, it is so worth it!
Good wishes.
Yes, like a "little bit pregnant.".

Over the years my AV has gone from saying, "Well, at least you don't drink every day," to "At least you don't binge drink every day," to "At least you're not an alcoholic," to "At least you're not a really bad alcoholic.".

When do I blow the whistle and yell, "Stop! This has been a one-way trip to trouble, and the entire time you keep telling me nothing is wrong, yet it keeps getting worse and worse.". Hopefully that time is now...
Old 03-29-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Taproot View Post
I now recognize that kind of thinking as the alcoholic voice, and now at nine days into this try at sobriety I'm amazed and a little ashamed that an argument like that ever sounded at all convincing to me. I hope I never sell myself that short ever again.
First, congratulations on your time!

Next, further down the road you'll be amazed at just how much a liar alcohol was to you. Seriously. I'm stunned at my revelations over the past two months. How the fear that I felt about quitting and how I would ever survive was nothing more than the addiction talking.

The further away you get the more clarity you have
Old 03-29-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post

The further away you get the more clarity you have
Oh, I really hope so! And I can't wait. Thanks very much for the encouragement and for providing the perspective from further down the path.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
My wagon's in the mud.

Good for Mate, the more you listen, the more you hear the Beast.

Mine is "your fat, stupid and ugly", and coming from him is a stretch. I just think, "actually your not".
Old 03-29-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

My definition of an Alcoholic, is a person who becomes obsessed to want to drink alcohol.

If there is a choice between having food in the fridge and alcohol, then alcohol wins hands down.

If you open a can of beer, then you only stop when you are physically unable to open any more due to either collapsing or falling asleep.

An alcoholic is a person, who hides all evidence of drinking, not for fear of being discovered and then having to accept that they drink to excess.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Taproot;4557651] It is humbling to think that my contribution is also helpful to you, too. QUOTE]

True! Actually - I wonder if making a concerted effort to help others isn't very beneficial in itself. That effort does, indeed, take the spotlight off yourself, and focus your attention on the root problems of addiction. (No pun intended.) Certainly 'mutually beneficial'.
Floyd.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This post was extremely powerful for me today. Thank you. Yes, alcohol crowds out the good, taking up residence in an otherwise productive existence.

Thanks again.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you! I needed to hear this today.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I needed to read this today.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sorry for the double post. I'm new here.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

What a helpful post. AV voice was LOUD yesterday. This supports everything I was feeling.