Notices

Rehab

Old 03-26-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab

So I have recently learnt from my mother that victory outreach rehab MIGHT be available to me! However it is a whole YEAR long!! Zero contact with friends no laptop or cell phone etc! Apparently its a real hardcore thing to go through but I'm not sure. A whole year with zero contact with friends who are like family scares the heck outta me.

What's your thoughts guys?
Old 03-26-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One year does sound long, but on the other hand a lifetime of sobriety sound like a fair deal for your sacrifice.

Good luck!
Old 03-26-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Knowing what i know now about alcoholism i would grasp that hand firmly.
It won't be an easy call but trust me, years of active alcoholism takes a terrible toll.
Nobrainer for me....
And good luck.

G
Old 03-26-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Wow, Chilled, that's a tough one honestly.

Myself personally, I don't think I could do a year without internet access. I rely on the internet for quite a few things. I could probably do without the cell phone as long as they let me stay in touch with my mom. Her support is really important to me.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Keep looking around for other options too, if one program is available to you most likely there are others. Not saying this particular one is good or bad as I have no idea, but just as there are many recovery methods there are many rehab facilities and programs.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Keep looking around for other options too, if one program is available to you most likely there are others. Not saying this particular one is good or bad as I have no idea, but just as there are many recovery methods there are many rehab facilities and programs.
This one is for free as its a christian run charity, the other rehabs are provides by the Nhs which takes months, ahhh I'm not sure, seems like a great thing for me but one year almost seems like a prison sentence.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
This one is for free as its a christian run charity, the other rehabs are provides by the Nhs which takes months, ahhh I'm not sure, seems like a great thing for me but one year almost seems like a prison sentence.
Can you visit the place and find out more about it? One year does seem like a long time but i'm never been to rehab so I can't say. Perhaps talking with someone there about why it is such a long program would help ease your mind.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A year seems like a long time! But, hey...if it cleans you up, then two years would be worth it.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As Scott says, would be a good idea to check it out before you make your decision. For what its worth, i know a few people that have been in treatment for a year, come out and stayed sober. I was in 3 times for the statutory 28 daze and on reflection could have used longer. A lot longer...
Old 03-26-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I went to teen challenge. For 11 months. It was awful. Before you go in make sure they have an exit strategy in place. Watch that they aren't going to try to get you into bible school. Be prepared to go to allot of church. Be prepared to be around people smuggling in drugs, staff with no initial or formal training, and a brand of Christianity that I can't quite put my finger on. Lots of wild doctrine. Don't get caught talking to women. In my experience, long term faith based treatment is not for everyone. You will not listen to music, watch tv, or talk to anyone for a year. I exited the program early (teen challenge is 16 months) and it was aweful. They did nothing to prep for the outside world. I had more formal training then my counsellor. Be prepared to be slave labor. Be prepared for ridiculous rules. When I left they dropped me in a field. I left because all I did was go to church, take jesus classes, and clean ****** toilets. No job training. 12 steps are frowned upon. Aa and Na are viewed as not of God. Be prepared to see people falling on the floor. Be prepared to meet people that think you can pray addiction away. I'm even a Christian and found it really flakey. On the other hand it has saved lots of lives. If you are at the end of your rope, it might be for you. Half the people will be from jail. You will see alot of people leave. Not for the weekend warrior or the f aint of heart . Above all else, make sure there is an exit stradegy, finding work place to live, etc.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AA member

Sounds like a good thing.I don't know how old you are but a year is not long.

You must be able to leave if you don't like it,otherwise it would be a prison sentence.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
This is a suggestion only...If you'd be willing to commit to a "Christian" based rehab, then you obviously don't have a problem with a religious aspect to recovery. If that's the case, why not go back to AA, follow the program (that means the 12 steps), and see if that helps.

You can always fall back on rehab, which seems like the more drastic solution. But then, only you know the level of your problem. Maybe drastic is just what you need.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I guess I'm from the "old school" era
born in 58, HS grad '76.

I often believe one doesn't have to
have a Harvard degree to get a nice
job. I believe, if one applies themselves
to any college or trade school then they
have just as good a chance to get a
desent job anywhere's.

The key is to "apply" oneself.

The same thing I believe can apply to
a rehab facility. I didn't need to go to
Betty Ford, many miles away, extremely
expensive to learn to get sober.

I was placed in Parkland Hopsital here
in Baton Rouge back in '90 where I stayed
for 28 days and then a 6 week outpatient
aftercare program.

The key to any success is to apply oneself.
Even when I was sick when I entered, I
allowed time for the fog to clear from my
mind enough to allow the seed of recovery
to be planted in my brain.

I had to have the Willingness to sit, listen,
absorb the knowledge of my alcohol addiction
and openmindness to allow it to sink in.

I didn't allow myself to be alone in my
recovery but to surround myself with many
others learning to stay sober like myself.

The fellowship whether here in SR or in
a face to face meeting is extremely useful
and helpful so that I know that I am not
alone in my own recovery.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Would this rehab deal with your mental issues too Chilledice - I think that's important to factor in too?

D