Notices

My trigger: the first two hours after work

Old 03-25-2014, 10:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My trigger: the first two hours after work

Hi, All,

It seems a *big* trigger for me is those first two hours right after I get home from work: that is the time for beer! Of course, then generally followed by more beer, and possibly more beer. Then falling asleep fine…but waking up at 1:30am and spending the rest of the night not really sleeping, just tossing around and occasionally sweating and maybe even having a distressingly eager heartbeat.

Crazy as it sounds, it is often actually easier for me to not drink during the weekend, presumably because I don't come home from work on those days. Does anybody else have this kind of experience?

Today was tough, but I had some little jobs to do around the house, and my wife and I had a nice dinner and conversation at home…all alcohol free. I am hoping that identifying my AV and my triggers will better prepare me to resist them. So far so good, at the end of Day Five.

Thanks for all your help this last week…reading these threads at SR gives me hope and helps me keep trying.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Exactly the the same thing for me (when I was working) it's like a reward for working hard.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really recommend mixing up your routine as much as possible to help break that 'get home need booze' mental association

D
Old 03-26-2014, 12:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's a good idea! Thanks D! I'll remember that when I get a job and an apt!
Old 03-26-2014, 12:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I find that too.

Generally speaking, if I was going to a bar after work I would meet a friend at around 7 - so that's the time I'm in the danger zone. I find if I go to a meeting, do my voluntary work, hit the gym or do basically anything to take my mind off it til about 9-9.30 the urge passes and I'm happy to go home, eat, watch some tv and sleep.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a good idea! Thanks D! I'll remember that when I get a job and an apt!
I hope both those things will happen soon for you BB

D
Old 03-26-2014, 01:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What I'm hearing in this discussion is that it is better to replace drinking with something new, something active, rather than to replace drinking with...nothing but sitting there thinking, "Well, here I am not drinking.". Sounds like a good approach, and I will give it a try.

Actually, I will be out of state for a few days helping my parents move into a new house. I am hoping that this unusual event will be devoid of routines and triggers, at least the triggers I encounter at my own place. Fortunately my parents are total non-drinkers, so this should be a constructive environment for the next three days.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I completely relate to those hours right after work being a danger zone. Three things that are working for me: a couple of dove dark chocolate pieces, sparkling water, and actually making a real dinner. But I love to cook, so making dinner may not be for you! When I was drinking, dinners were usually pretty unhealthy fare. I hope the moving distraction helps!
Old 03-26-2014, 01:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Another thought just occurred on this topic: my pattern indicates that if I don't start drinking by 8pm on a workday, it is unlikely that I will drink at all that evening. But if I open that first beer at 6pm, there is a fair chance I will be opening my 7th or 8th beer at 10pm... the trick will be to get through that danger zone between quitting time at 8pm.

Holli, I am no cook...my kitchen skills are limited to opening bags of pretzels. Fortunately my long-suffering spouse is a great cook, and I actually get pretty good nutrition thanks to her. But I have other activities that can keep me occupied for those couple hours right after work... I will work on doing more than just not drinking
Old 03-26-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Taproot,
I work from home so the temptation to head to the beer shop around 4PM is very strong.

To combat it I've found having a meal around that time makes the urge to drink disappear. Maybe put on a slow cooker or something so you have a meal ready when you get home from work.

I've also started going out for meals - much more enjoyable than sitting in the house drinking and costs the same!

Also I've cut out sugary things as they seem to intensify the desire for beer.

Thanks
Kopfan.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

try and change the routine around your trigger times, so you aren't doing things that you associate with drinking...break the cycle.. x
Old 03-26-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

The first two hours after work were definitely (still are some days) the hardest for me. In the beginning, I had to do something to fill that time. Sometimes it was eating (always got me through a fierce wine craving), working out, and/or sitting in a hot bath. It was a matter of getting through those two or three hours and then I'd be fine. Weekends were easier for me too…my drinking was associated with after work, and I had to create different patterns to get through the habitual responses during specific time periods and stressors.

Best to you!