Notices

A visit to the bar

Old 03-20-2014, 02:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A visit to the bar

My ex asked me to drop him off at the bar for his pool tournament and this is the place where I did a lot of my drinking. So I decided to go in to say hello. I didn't like what I saw and felt out of place. I saw all the people that I use to drink with looking so sad, beaten up, doing the same as always drinking smoking and sitting. How sad that was for me, that life for 4 years. I was there for like 5 minutes and couldn't stand being there. Everyone was happy to see me but we had nothing to say to each other because we didn't have the drinking buzz in common anymore.

I am so grateful for my 8 months of sobriety and I wouldn't give this up for that sad life ... It was an awful dark place in my mind to visit... I guess that is how I see the past 4 years now. I truly have no desire to revisit that misery... I am beyond grateful today.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing !
Old 03-20-2014, 02:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done for getting out of there Besides you are far too pretty to ruin yourself on booze

Old 03-20-2014, 02:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Old 03-20-2014, 02:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A quick look around and you decided that life is so very different outside that atmosphere, you see things in a new light.
congrats on your 8 months and sharing what you see now, it was like that for me too, I wondered what I ever saw in that lifestyle. There is so much more fun stuff in being sober and active, both mentally and physically.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

thats awesome, you have indeed come so far!!!

v
Old 03-20-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Silvy69 View Post
My ex asked me to drop him off at the bar for his pool tournament and this is the place where I did a lot of my drinking. So I decided to go in to say hello. I didn't like what I saw and felt out of place. I saw all the people that I use to drink with looking so sad, beaten up, doing the same as always drinking smoking and sitting. How sad that was for me, that life for 4 years. I was there for like 5 minutes and couldn't stand being there. Everyone was happy to see me but we had nothing to say to each other because we didn't have the drinking buzz in common anymore.

I am so grateful for my 8 months of sobriety and I wouldn't give this up for that sad life ... It was an awful dark place in my mind to visit... I guess that is how I see the past 4 years now. I truly have no desire to revisit that misery... I am beyond grateful today.
I identify with this! It's almost like a darkness to watch that isn't it? Sounds also like you're coming to the point where I started having realizations. Looking at how much fun it was, which it really wasn't.

I don't know if you've experienced this yet but lately I think back to how scared I was when I quit. What I was going to do instead of drinking, how I was going to get through events that included alcohol. I now realize that all of that fear was unfounded and it was just the addiction lying to me and holding on. All those fears and alcohol were one big, fat lie. Alcohol is no longer equated with fun, I hate it.

I've looked back on some of the best times I had when drinking, when it wasn't even a problem. None of those times come close to the clarity, peace, and accountability that I feel on a daily basis. The fun was fake. Fun now is real, it's what it's meant to be. When I leave an event I smile and have valid discussion about what a good time I had. No more waking up the next morning wondering what the hell I said.

Need support once in a while but that's it.

I'm free, finally, just took some time and determination to get here. Sounds like you're walking on the path right next to me
Old 03-20-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 8 months!!
Old 03-20-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobriety!! I went into my old bar a week ago & yes it is sad once you sober up to see the people sitting around. Kinda like a church, everyone had their seat, all the characters assembled. I have wasted too much of my time & money in a place like that. I am very thankful for what I have now.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Very insightful post, thank you
Old 03-20-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.. This is great reading that so many can relate to how I felt. True I thought it was great fun and at the time it was but it came with a high price the next morning... I actually don't think about it anymore but in the beginning few months I kept beating myself up for the stupidity that I had done. I can say most of it I wouldn't do now.