An update on my brother

Old 06-26-2004, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

An update on my brother

I posted here for the first time a few weeks ago searching for help for my parents to deal with my drug adict/alcoholic brother. I just wanted to thank everyone and to tell you that he killed himself just over a week ago.

Knowing my brother for who he was without the drugs and alcohol, I've got to believe that he did it because he understood what he was becoming. I'm sure in his warped mind, that he thought he was doing us a favor. He was mistaken.

Every one of us in the family is now in terrible pain. Analyzing over and over what we should have done differently.

My 91 year old grandmother, crying because she didn't give him $20 when he banged on her bedroom window at 2:00 that morning.

My parents, who just are broken and haunted as to why he would do this to himself outside their door, when a few steps away they would have been there to do anything to help. My dad, especially, who had the son he always wanted (after 3 girls), but was unable to convince him to get help.

The sisters because although we searched for help and offered my parents advice over 20 years of his illness, never thought to go directly to him.

I, especially, since we were closest in age. We shared a room as children, and spent the most years living together. I was the toughest on him. Although I thought I was giving him tough love, I was more tough than loving. I freely told him I wanted my brother back because I knew he was inside that drug filled body, but didn't tell him I loved him in years. I was just so angry at him for what he was doing.

For years, my parents, out of love, bailed him out of financial hardships, helped him obtain vehicles to get to work, paid for medical bills, etc, and kept him out of jail though the many adventures he took them on.

Please, anyone in my parents shoes, as much as you want to protect your children from pain, you need to let them learn their lessons early. Let them lose their vehicle, let them sit in jail. The pain of losing a child forever to a tragedy like this is much worse than the pain you feel letting them suffer the consequences of their actions.

Although we are all filled with guilt, we'll make it through this together. Our own guilt is real, but we know that what we did individually, was done out of concern and love. We are all human, and imperfect. We tried out best. Unfortunately, under the circumstances, our best just wasn't enough. I guess you can't love someone to recovery.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

I am so very sorry for your pain. Suicide is the hardest of the hard on those left behind...
Be gentle with yourselves...you and your family...
Hugs.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so sorry that you are going through this. It made me very sad to read your post. I will be thinking of you and your family.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm am so sorry for all the pain that you and your family are going through. I just don't understand why it is easier for someone to committ suicide rather than get some help. Your family has nothing to be guilty about, as you have all tried to help him. Please take care of yourselves and try to remember all the good memories, but please let go of the guilt. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Frustrated,
I'm so sorry. This is an exceptionally deep hurt that you and your family are going through.
You are all in my prayers.
Gabe
Old 06-26-2004, 10:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

you and your family will be in my prayers. god bless
Old 06-26-2004, 10:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I am so sorry to hear about your brother. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Shana
Old 06-26-2004, 11:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Frustrated, I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your brother. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. MG has a very good article on the PTSD board for survivors of suicide. You can chose a printable version for your family if you think it would help them too. I have lost two brothers to suicide, and I know the pain is immense. If I can be of any help to you, please don't hesitate to PM me.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. God Bless.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Frustrated -

My heart goes out to you and your family. I'll say a prayer for all of you.

Hugs, Jo
Old 06-26-2004, 01:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Frustrated,

You are living one of the things we fear most. My heart aches for you. I offer my deepest sympathy and my most profound thanks that you would share your story here to try to help others when you are in so much pain. I know you feel guilty now, but soon your heart will realize as clearly as your reason does that the responsibility for this act does not rest with you. I wish I could put my arms around you in person.

Thinking of you,
Smoke
Old 06-26-2004, 02:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Sending prayers to you and your family Frustrated.

I am really sorry that you all have to endure this pain and really sorry that your brother lost his life to this disease.

Please know that we all care.

Here is a link that may help. It was written by a mother who lost her son.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ad.php?t=32556

Old 06-26-2004, 02:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I too want to tell you how very sorry I am and send my deepest sympathy to you and your family. My son is an addict and I know your pain, and in time I pray that you will truly understand that what you did, you did to try to help him, and you are in no way responsible.

I believe that God loves addicts as he loves all his children, and I believe that your brother rests safely with God today.

Thank you for having the courage to share this with us. It matters and we care.

Huge Hugs and Sincere Condolences
Ann
Old 06-26-2004, 07:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Frustrated,
I am so sorry that you and your family have to suffer this way and I am equally as sorry that your brother saw no other way out of his addiction.
I had replied to your other thread but it really matters not what I said anymore.
I have dealt with a similar situation many years ago and I am sending you all of my prayers for strength.

God Bless.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

May your whole family come to terms with your brothers passing and that in time you can remember the good and put all this behind you. I am so very sorry.

Surrounding all of you with the warm white light of God.

Love and prayers from one who cares,
Daffodil
Old 06-27-2004, 04:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My thoughts are with you and your family and I am sure he knew you loved him. It must be so hard right now. Love to you and your family.