Loosing my mind

Old 03-13-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Loosing my mind

I am really loosing it today I am so obsessed with my husband and his using I pace I chain smoke I look out the window I search phone bills I dig through his stuff I search the car I am loosing my mind I can't beleive I am this bad I am neglecting myself and this is taking me down he will never stop I can't get it through my head I search and seek answers that I already know !! Why?!?! I am so stuck in this obsessive state if mind I am on a freight train I can't beleive he is still doing this how can I realize that this is my life and when will I feel better I try to stop I try to be strong but this is killing me slowly !! all my resentment and pain doesn't go away and I am having a real hard time coping today ..
Old 03-13-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

what are some other healthier things you could be doing FOR YOU instead? you already know the house is on fire....what would be some wise next steps???
Old 03-13-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're having a tough day. I've been there too.

It's always helped me to find distractions.

-Call a friend and talk about anything but me/him

-Vigorous exercise

-Clean my house

-Take a nap

-Find a good book

,Go to an alanon meeting. It always helps me to be among others who understand.

You can't control him, but you can control you. Be proactive.

Hugs!
Old 03-13-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

you have taken the first step - you have reached out for help

please don't stop there ~ keep reaching out ~

remember those wise words. . .

"if you want something different, you have to be willing to DO something different"

Breathe in, breathe out and remember

"Never let me imagine that my satisfaction with life depends on what someone else may do" ODAT in Al-Anon pg 234

what can you do today to help you feel more at peace with YOU

YOU deserve that!

pink hugs,
Old 03-13-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been down this road many times. Step off the crazy train. It is just what you said, you don't need verification of what you already know, trust your gut, if it tells you something is off, it likely is.

Wow...I usto hunt through the garage, the car, all over. I usto kiss him to smell his breath, I still check the bank account to look at debits (this is for my own sanity so I know what I am dealing with). All of it made me feel completely bat$hit CRAZY.

This is very bad for you and your own health. Find an Alanon or Celebrate Recovery and go!
Old 03-13-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to do all of the above and then some to try and figure out AXBF's behavior. It's crazy the lengths we will resort to and I'm glad I found SR when I did. Through al anon and SR I learned to detach, stop reacting and start taking care if me again. It takes time. Be gentle with yourself. I know how powerful those obsessive thoughts are and how they can consume you. I read an excellent book called "How to Break Your Addiction to a Person." We become as addicted to the addict as the addict becomes addicted to his or her drug (s) of choice. Keep coming here and posting. Lots of support here.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ugg - been there - to the point of my first anxiety attack.

I hope you can hang out with a friend, dive into a NON alcoholism related book, get to a yoga class, take the dog on a long walk, go fish, buy some shoes, or do some house cleaning today to get your mind off of it. Deep breaths - it helps!

It's as hard for us to stop our madness as it is for them to stop theirs. (((HUGS)))
Old 03-14-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply .. I am taking all of your useful advice and i really appreciate it..
Old 03-14-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hugs to you! We have ALL been there! I really have to stop myself and ask, "What the *** am I doing??" The phrase LET GO and LET GOD have really helped me during those crazy moments.

Peace to you....
Old 03-14-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i hope im not going to offend anyone by making this my first post on the forum.. ive been reading myself into a stupor for weeks now, gathered the courage to join y/day and this post is me today too. I am going crazy, i am making myself ill... i feel like a hamster and her wheel, round and round and round we go. I KNOW he is lying to me, i KNOW my gut feelings are usually right when i suspect hes high.. yet he makes me believe IM the one who is crazy and imagining things. Im sick and tired of ALL my headspace being taken up by him, when me and the kids only take a tiny proportion of HIS headspace. I read "codependent no more" but, as ive lost faith along with hope, im stuck at step 2 already, i try to detach, detach, detach but that just makes me turn off all feelings. My head just goes round and round in circles, i look for proof, i find the proof, he denies it.. i doubt what ive seen with my own eyes and here we are again.

Im a mess, i already have complex ptsd from an abusive marriage and then i fell into this one... reading the book, that is classic codependent behaviour as well.

Unfortunately, here in the uk alanon meetings (although AH is not an alcoholic but substance addict) are far and few between and it would require me leaving at a time when we have dinner and the kids in the house on their own. I have no close friends i could ask to come over, so i'm pretty much stuck with reading, reading, reading and trying to figure this out on my own.

sorry OP, i dont mean to hijack your thread at all.. but i can relate to your situation and i know where you are at..
Old 03-14-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know what you are going through Hun. I find myself with obsessive thoughts about my XABF and his current drinking patterns. Wondering how far off the deep end he has gone, staring at his facebook page for yet another confirmation that his moods are swinging that extreme pendulum. Seeing pictures of a new gun he just bought and lyrics to crazy ass songs.

It is crazy making, yet obsessive. I understand. Yesterday was a horrible day for me. I couldn't stop the thoughts. I ended up staying home from work. I slept a lot to get my mind to stop and when I woke up, I met with some girlfriends until my kids got home.

For me, the worst times are when I am alone. And Not EVERY day is a bad day. Today is a better day. Though I still obsess, not as much as yesterday.

I do have faith that as time passes, it will get better, but I am no longer confronted with the situation daily anymore.

Alanon is something that could suppport you and give you what you need to take the next step. They will take it with you my dear. Let them help you.

Don't do this alone. Alone seems impossible. Together you can take baby steps.

Don't give up darling.

hugs
xoxo
Old 03-14-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by L0stH0pe View Post
i hope im not going to offend anyone by making this my first post on the forum.. ive been reading myself into a stupor for weeks now, gathered the courage to join y/day and this post is me today too. I am going crazy, i am making myself ill... i feel like a hamster and her wheel, round and round and round we go. I KNOW he is lying to me, i KNOW my gut feelings are usually right when i suspect hes high.. yet he makes me believe IM the one who is crazy and imagining things. Im sick and tired of ALL my headspace being taken up by him, when me and the kids only take a tiny proportion of HIS headspace. I read "codependent no more" but, as ive lost faith along with hope, im stuck at step 2 already, i try to detach, detach, detach but that just makes me turn off all feelings. My head just goes round and round in circles, i look for proof, i find the proof, he denies it.. i doubt what ive seen with my own eyes and here we are again.

Im a mess, i already have complex ptsd from an abusive marriage and then i fell into this one... reading the book, that is classic codependent behaviour as well.

Unfortunately, here in the uk alanon meetings (although AH is not an alcoholic but substance addict) are far and few between and it would require me leaving at a time when we have dinner and the kids in the house on their own. I have no close friends i could ask to come over, so i'm pretty much stuck with reading, reading, reading and trying to figure this out on my own.

sorry OP, i dont mean to hijack your thread at all.. but i can relate to your situation and i know where you are at..
Dont be sorry for writing on this thread and thank you so very much for doing it !!! I am far away and we dont know each other but we all have this in common we are in the same place in our mind.. We feel like we want credit where its due time after time of keeping the family together and going about our day sober and strong mentally .. I read i google i do all that too I do it always when im alone too.. We are the same and our Love leads us to live with this in our mind body and soul.. I have been mentally broken down so many times i cant even count .. I went through Nursing school i stayed strong I prepared myself for the day to walk away for good and I waited for things to get better so many times .. Please write your stories and keep them coming because we are normal and these stories are proof that we all have this in common .. We cant let them steal our sanity we fight for normalcy and we deserve it .. You never know how strong you are until you have no other choice i youtubed motivational speaker and listened to it all day today i went for a run and felt like I was ready to take on the world.. Stay strong !! Go to those videos on Youtube you will be surprised how good they make feel and know what you are worth .. Sending hugs back to all of you!!
Old 03-14-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

but, as ive lost faith along with hope, im stuck at step 2 already..
This I can relate to. I believe there is a God. I just don't see why He would help me. I too cannot find the hope or faith enough to get to the point where I believe He will.

I haven't worked through this, yet, but I have found it helpful to let myself feel what I feel and to focus on step one, thoroughly. I figure that's enough for now until I am ready to or I find a way to believe help will come.

Focussing on step one and letting go of worrying about step 2 has brought so much benefit. I have been listing all the ways my life has been insane due to my reactions and expectations and thought processes. Doing that has allowed me to change some of them.

So maybe, for both the posters, you might also find it helpful to let go of the things outside of yourself and just focus on learning what is within your sphere of influence. There is probably plenty there distract you and maybe find some peace in that.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thank you for the kind words @openmind121 im trying hard to reclaim some headspace!! he dictates so much of my life, time to grab some back i think. I never even thought of youtube, there is so much to read (forums, blogs, articles, communities, facebook etc etc) that i had completely overlooked that one.. i have found some podcasts and am looking in the iUniversity for some of the free psychology courses as well.
It sucks, i didnt sign up for this.. yet here i am, expected to give more, more, more and im at a point where im thinking "screw you!!! you CHOOSE to do this stuff, you choose to lie, cheat, deceive and then have the gumption to hide behind "i cant help it its a disease" argh ive moved on to being angry from my earlier insanity and im not sure which one is worse @_@ i go to and fro between the hopeless, crazy, spitting angry, get so exhausted i simply crash.. and when i wake up, i hop straight back onto my little hamster wheel.
It IS comforting to know that others are out there who know what i mean, who "get" ME and where its not about him and his recovery and having patience with him and empathy and sympathy and whatever else they ask of me... i just havent got anything left to give at the minute. YOU give me something for a change.. oh wait, that goes against your selfish nature..err disease.
Add frustration to that mixed bag of emotions... i dont even know if i want to save this marriage cos ive put in so much hard work, im just all worked out and why should i have to work even more?? let him do some for a change... lol i didnt realise how good it would feel to vent all of this!
Am i the only one who goes through emotions like a rollercoaster ride?
And again, thank you so so much for those kind words, it was what i needed i think.. someone stretching a hand across a very far distance and still being able to reach me, maybe there is a glimmer of hope after all.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Figuring it out on your own is going to be mighty tough--you'll find it so much better with support. SR is a great place to start, but some in-person support is a good idea, too, in my opinion. I find this listing for Alanon meetings in the UK: http://al-anonuk.org.uk/meetings/ It seems to me that there are quite a number of meetings, but I don't know the area you are in to narrow the search. Also, many Alanon meetings here in the US offer free or extremely cheap (a dollar per child) childcare during meetings, maybe something you could check into for those issues.

Alanon also has phone and online meetings, found here http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/electronic-meetings if there truly is nothing in-person that you can attend. You can look into Alanon literature either at your local library or by checking Amazon (just search "Alanon literature"). Many of the books at Amazon are available used so you can save $$ if that's an issue.

Reaching out for help is such an important part of your OWN recovery, but yet so hard for so many of us to do....
Old 03-14-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

thank you @honeypig, i did speak with the alanon helpline (i said earlier ah is not an alcoholic but i guess that is not true, just that i dont think much of his 18 cans a night anymore @_@) .. my local meeting only runs every other tuesday at 7.30pm, the next one closest to me would be a 40 mile round trip, so not really doable moneywise. I dont know that i could cope with groups anyway.. my own issues sort of complicate things for me and get in my way as well. I do feel like im hijacking this thread now.. im so sorry i really didnt mean it to go this way
thank you for the friend request openmind, i *think* i have added you
how are things with you now, feeling any better?? i have decided im stepping off this damned hamster wheel for a little while, i just cant do it anymore..if hes going to get high/drunk there isnt a single solitary thing i can do about it, he lied to my face again earlier saying he didnt have any gear when i saw it and i know hes got it.. but whats the point in argueing, ill just exhaust myself.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You are not alone,,I do all the same things and then some.Its crazy that I have to prove to myself that my AW is up to no good.I know she is drunk but just cause she says she hasn't been drinking I have to find the evidence.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I can so relate to this...obsessing about AH. Proving he was drinking, and most of all worrying about whether he was drinking and the ride home. The anxiety would start about 10 minutes before he was done work and would continue until he got home. During that 40 minutes or so it was all I could think about. I would check his location obsessively (on iPhone) and wonder if he was going to get in a accident or get pulled over. Then when he'd get home I'd be on eggshells worrying about how the evening would go...what mood I'd be dealing with. Then I'd usually retreat to my bedroom. I had to stop tying my happiness to his drinking.
This has slowly improved for me since the separation. Last night I noted the time at one point then didn't even think about it until my daughter brought the phone to me. He had called and I realized he made it to his location without me thinking about it.
It's all so crazy. I felt it was killing me slowly also. I can't encourage you enough to get off the crazy train
Lost hope- I'm sorry for what you are going through also. It's so frustrating to be made to feel like the crazy one when in your gut you know the truth. It helps so much to read here and realize how common this type of behavior is for addicts and how many people are going through it. The support and knowledge will help!