A few sober days..

Old 03-09-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A few sober days..

My friend's AGF will sometimes drink daily for weeks on end, sitting in the bathroom for hours drinking, wander the streets drunk, scream and hallucinate when she is drunk and with him.

And then sometimes she stops for a few days or a week or even a bit longer. Once she stopped for 4 months although usually the sobriety is way shorter.

What is this about? Is this pattern common?
Old 03-09-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by 53500 View Post
My friend's AGF will sometimes drink daily for weeks on end, sitting in the bathroom for hours drinking, wander the streets drunk, scream and hallucinate when she is drunk and with him.

And then sometimes she stops for a few days or a week or even a bit longer. Once she stopped for 4 months although usually the sobriety is way shorter.

What is this about? Is this pattern common?
Just so I can track . . . are we really talking about your friend's girlfriend, or your girlfriend, or what?

But short hand for what you are describing is some times called a Binge and/or Blackout Alcoholic.

Likely to get worse until some OMIGOD happens -- falls off a roof, wanders across a highway at night, and/or kills or harms someone else on the way out. And yeah, that ending is not too uncommon.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hammer, we are talking about my friend's alcoholic girlfriend. Sorry to be confusing and thanks for the reply!

She's been drinking heavily for 15 years, at least, has multiple DUIs and jail time. She was in the hospital recently because she fell while drunk and had bleeding in her brain and a concussion. So some of those things you mentioned have happened. She was told (while in the hospital) that if she drank she'd have a stroke. She left against medical advice and started drinking.

But her pattern (since I've known of her which is less than 2 years) is to drink heavily for days or weeks and then take a break. Sometimes an OMIGOD will come before the break, sometimes not. Or maybe I just don't know of it which is entirely possible.

Thanks for telling me about those terms, it will help me to get more info on this pattern.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

It sounds like your friend is still invested in this relationship? Does he attend Al Anon?
Old 03-09-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Danae View Post
It sounds like your friend is still invested in this relationship? Does he attend Al Anon?
Yes, he lives with her. He says he wants to leave but so far he is with her. When she's screaming and violent he sleeps in his car to escape her. She's been sober 5 or 6 days at this point.

In the past, when she stopped like this he had hope she would not start again. I don't think he has this hope now but he is certainly invested in the relationship.

No, he does not attend AlAnon. I've suggested it but he's not interested.

I find it hard to understand how she can stop and start drinking so often. But I've been reading and I guess it's not uncommon.