Notices

So what happens when..

Old 02-22-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So what happens when..

..you feel like you could screw up at any given moment? Right now, I'm 10 days in. Feel fine, great, etc. Have no desire to drink or smoke weed. But I feel like at any point I could throw it all away and just give into my addiction.

I'd love to hear some feedback from people who have been faced with this similar situation and overcame.

For the record, I anticipate a success this time around; but even this kind of thinking scares me a little.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

As alcoholics, we are always one drink away from misery and madness.
This is what works for me, I go to AA and have worked the steps. I also have a support system both on SR and in real life from fellow recovering alcoholics.
I read and informed myself about addiction and I am willing to incorporate new useful techniques such as AVRT in my recovery. and I maintain a spiritual life and meditate.
Just quitting is not enough, there are many things you can do to make sure you stay quit and enjoy a good quality of sobriety. Think of all the things you can do as building a shield which sooner or later will come in handy when there is drink coming your way.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by krete77 View Post
I feel like at any point I could throw it all away and just give into my addiction.
I hear ya, Friend. When my habit was to make the wrong choice every time, it almost seemed like I wasn't actually making the choice. But I was.

Liquor never poured itself down my throat. I chose to do it, every time it happened. Now I choose not to. Choosing not to drink is my new habit, so it would be odd for me to do something else (like drink) now.

You can do this.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

I just come here and ask for help.... before I throw it away! I've been stopped from making that mistake several times by the good folks here.

I think it is a good idea to go back and look at your first threads and posts as a reminder of what you left behind.

As a suggestion I'd like to say.... just go pick up your beautiful child and look into their eyes.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by krete77 View Post
..you feel like you could screw up at any given moment? Right now, I'm 10 days in. Feel fine, great, etc. Have no desire to drink or smoke weed. But I feel like at any point I could throw it all away and just give into my addiction.

I'd love to hear some feedback from people who have been faced with this similar situation and overcame.

For the record, I anticipate a success this time around; but even this kind of thinking scares me a little.

I think this is a fairly common anxiety friend, I suppose it comes down to just having faith in yourself, deep inside you know you are strong enough to stay sober.

When you're feeling fragile, draw on your support, when you're feeling good enjoy it!
Old 02-22-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

For me it was all about support, SR in my case. I tried to quit too many times to count by simply not drinking or "white knuckling" as some like to call it. I always failed. You see the same thing here on a daily basis and in AA meetings all around the world.

The solution is to remember you can't do it alone and seek help immediately when you need it. That might mean posting here, hitting a meeting, calling some numbers, praying, or whatever it takes.

Be ready with your plan...because its not a question of IF the cravings/urges will come, but when:
Old 02-22-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You feel uncertain - this is normal. You're ten days into unfamiliar territory, it would be strange to not feel some trepidation.

All I can say is that your cause is a good one, you're doing great so far, and you just gotta do the best you can. Steer clear of situations where you'll be tested, keep rested, fed and hydrated. Stay busy, get plenty of exercise, keep your mind occupied.

You will have ups and downs. Don't let the downs get you down. Have a plan to talk to someone, or something to do to divert you, in case you find yourself on the wrong track and you can see it going sideways.

Do your best every day and worry about tomorrow some other time, that three month mark will be on you before you know it.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
As alcoholics, we are always one drink away from misery and madness..
Yup I sure am. I come here everyday and I find it does help keep me grounded. I also go to the family forum too because it reminds me of the person I don't want to be anymore. Especially when I see what people have to go thru with us when we are caught up in our addiction.

I also have lots of books and sometimes I will pick my AA blue book and give it a read.

I do get thoughts sometimes that I want to just throw it all away and give in, especially if I am particularly stressed about something.

Case in point my new job. However I have to think to myself if I am maybe making my self stressed. Making more out of what is there, I am good at that!

Also going to meetings does help, and lately I haven't been able to go because of my hours. I can really feel it and was very thankful I had last Tuesday off as I really needed a meeting and was able to do the online meeting here.

I think having these thoughts are normal and it is a sign that we need to kind of sit back and take stock and remember why we quit in the first place. It just means I need to recentre myself.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Totally normal to feel so 'up and down' in early recovery. These feelings will pass as you get more sober time. I'm over four years sober and rarely get those feelings, and when I do, they're easy to overcome. Give yourself time.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've always been into exercise, either running or weightlifting..for a good 10 years now..so I feel like that's always saved me. I have a good background in nutritional science even though I don't follow it, however these past ten days I have really stepped it up in the diet department (back to eating high protein meals combined with lots of veggies).

Yea I am taking it day by day with goals of 30, 60, 90, 180 and 360 days as goal setpoints...but being careful not to look so far ahead.

Thanks for all the replies
Old 02-22-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

to get to 30,60,90180,360 days, theres one day you should not drink during and that's today.
there were quite a few days early on I had a very hard time. remembering where I came from kept me trudging and there were times it got down to one minute at a time.
it did gt easier, but there was also footwork on changing me along the way.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I reduced it down to absolute basics Krete.

If I never raised a glass to my lips, I'd never drink.

Everything else - all the support and all the changes I made in my life - were built around helping me to maintain that promise to myself.

I gave it all I had...and it worked out.

It will work for you too

D