Notices

One drink

Old 02-07-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One drink

Saw this on TMZ.com yesterday. I find his death very disturbing and sad and, while not a heroin user, could definitely relate.

"Philip Seymour Hoffman's recent and fatal path down the road of addiction was triggered by an innocent drink ... sources close to the actor tell TMZ. Hoffman had been sober for 23 years prior to shooting "The Master" -- but during a wrap party in 2012, the actor succumbed to temptation ... and celebrated the movie with a drink ... which quickly became a couple of drinks.Hoffman acknowledged to confidants ... the drinks opened the floodgates. Addictions experts all say one drink can destroy an addict's life ... and that seems to be what happened here.Sources tell us Hoffman didn't begin experimenting with heroin until 2013, after he had already fully fallen off the wagon. We're told he had long been curious about the drug.It started with snorting -- and last May, he quickly checked into rehab because he was terrified it would escalate to IV use ... which it eventually did."
Old 02-07-2014, 03:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very sad, but a warning to all. I read an article by an acquaintance of PSH; he reported that Hoffman had told him that if either one of them die by OD it would save 10 other people. He reasoned that seeing someone famous die would show them they were on the road to ruin themselves. Two weeks later he did in fact OD.

This is why we don't "just have one." One might be all it takes to undo all we have wrought.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA member

It was always the first drink that was my downfall.