Notices

Being sober ain't that bad

Old 02-06-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Being sober ain't that bad

Hi everyone,

Amidst all the negativity dealing with recovery, I feel it's important to focus some time on the positive aspects of sobriety as well. During my many failed attempts to quit drinking alcohol, I felt I was down and out because of what I was focusing on. We are what we focus on, after all. Our thoughts attract other like-minded thoughts, this isn't some new age nonsense, this is a scientific law. Our brains are wired this way.

So, instead of dwelling in the negatives, I felt what helped me was to focus on the positives I get out of being sober. I mean, being sober, for me, is amazing. My life has been an absolute train wreck for much of the past 15 years - I really don't feel the adjective "train wreck" fully does it justice. Anyway, I feel like I've been released from prison. I get to be sober now. I get to not consume poison into my body on a daily basis. I no longer suffer from depression, anxiety, panic attacks, social retardation, scattered thoughts, inability to focus and concentrate on anything, an absolute lack of any short term memory, being mentally dull (stupid, really), without any physical energy or ambition. I know this is a list and I realize that many people just browse through this list without giving it much of a thought. But these are substantial things. I no longer have any of these symptoms anymore. If we could take a pill that would remove all of these symptoms from our daily lives, that pill would be like a godsend. That pill is sobriety - we don't even have to take a pill, all we have to do is not drink. I'm not preaching a sermon here, I just feel that it is important to take some time out to be thankful that we are in fact sober.

/end rant
Old 02-06-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearMind View Post
Hi everyone, Amidst all the negativity dealing with recovery, I feel it's important to focus some time on the positive aspects of sobriety as well. During my many failed attempts to quit drinking alcohol, I felt I was down and out because of what I was focusing on. We are what we focus on, after all. Our thoughts attract other like-minded thoughts, this isn't some new age nonsense, this is a scientific law. Our brains are wired this way. So, instead of dwelling in the negatives, I felt what helped me was to focus on the positives I get out of being sober. I mean, being sober, for me, is amazing. My life has been an absolute train wreck for much of the past 15 years - I really don't feel the adjective "train wreck" fully does it justice. Anyway, I feel like I've been released from prison. I get to be sober now. I get to not consume poison into my body on a daily basis. I no longer suffer from depression, anxiety, panic attacks, social retardation, scattered thoughts, inability to focus and concentrate on anything, an absolute lack of any short term memory, being mentally dull (stupid, really), without any physical energy or ambition. I know this is a list and I realize that many people just browse through this list without giving it much of a thought. But these are substantial things. I no longer have any of these symptoms anymore. If we could take a pill that would remove all of these symptoms from our daily lives, that pill would be like a godsend. That pill is sobriety - we don't even have to take a pill, all we have to do is not drink. I'm not preaching a sermon here, I just feel that it is important to take some time out to be thankful that we are in fact sober. /end rant
That's awesome ClearMind. My life is so much better sober too. Not everyday is a bed of roses, but as they say my worst sober day is better than my best drunken day, and I don't have to wake up with a hangover.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Well said ClearMind x
Old 02-06-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree. If Im gonna have a bad sober day...I just look back to the horid days of another detox. ...a hangover...angry...full of anxiety...shaking...depressed...miserable..scared. ..not eating...not sleeping
Old 02-06-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Excellent post ClearMind!
Thank you for that positive post.... At times I worry what I will do at the next party, but overall, sobriety has been the best choice I have made so far.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ClearMind View Post
Hi everyone,

I feel like I've been released from prison.

/end rant
I agree. There is a certain element of being caged to the point of insanity being dependent on alcohol. I often tell myself that alcohol is evil. I do not follow a religion, but I often think that alcohol and substance abuse is the devil invading our souls.

Keep up the good work!
Old 02-06-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post, clearmind!
Old 02-06-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Beautiful!

Old 02-06-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Best Sermon Today!

Thanks, Clearmind!
Old 02-06-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I also love living sober. There are so many benefits to a sober life.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I completely agree.

The only thing that alcohol ever did for me was give me temporary pleasure. After that, it was feelings of guilt, depression, loss of productivity, and damage to your image. Now, I remind myself that alcohol just makes me feel like crap the next day.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by masanori View Post
I completely agree.

The only thing that alcohol ever did for me was give me temporary pleasure. After that, it was feelings of guilt, depression, loss of productivity, and damage to your image. Now, I remind myself that alcohol just makes me feel like crap the next day.
Could not agree more!!