Coming home from rehab,how to be supportive?

Old 01-28-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coming home from rehab,how to be supportive?

Hi,

It has been a while since I posted. This weekend my boyfriend is coming back from rehab. Since the last time I posted I've done a lot of reading about alcoholism, AA, Rehab etc. I contacted AA here in my town for some help. Today a woman phoned me. She has been sober for 5 years now,she sounds friendly but also very sensitive/emotional, so I'm not sure if it will help. But she invited me to an open meeting in another town,so maybe I will.
For now I just would like to know what the do's and don'ts are. When he comes back we have a lot to talk about.
Before he left his son and I told him that we can be supportive about not drinking and that in order to help, we won't be drinking.
But is there anything else we should be doing?
Old 01-28-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Alanon FOR YOU. Is it available to you locally?

It is the Friends and Family side of AA.

Some of the local AA folks should be able to point in the right direction.

Maybe Alateen for his son? How old is his son?
Old 01-28-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know we dont have it here that's the problem. So the man from AA hooked (hope it's the right word) me up with this woman instead.
He's son is 16, he's very smart but lives with his mom, I keep him updated, but his mother actually doesn't want him to have anything to do with it... Yesterday he has send me a message, because his father didn't contact him on sunday, he was worried. So I told him everything was okay, he just didn't have any more money on his phonecard. He asked me if his father was going to a safehouse. I told him he's not. He told me he was worried and if it wouldn't be better. I told him the people from rehab told me that it isn't neccesary. He has to come back anyhow, so if he really wants to stop, he can also do it at hom with their weekly meetings... I told him about the 3 C's, that helped him a little bit he said