Notices

Day 3...

Old 01-27-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3...

Hi all, just introducing myself...

I have made the decision that it's time to actually get sober and VERY anxious about it. I'm mostly a heavy binge drinker, Friday and Saturday nights, have been since I was 15 (I'm 30 now). I've gone through periods, years at a time, when I drank heavily every day, been arrested for DUI, had a lot of problems with debt (guess nobody told me not to charge bar tabs to my credit cards LOL), pissed off a lot of people, failed out of college three times before I finally graduated. I recently have been drinking alone because I just don't want to be bothered with finding a way home, because I know once I start, I'll be completely incapable of driving myself. Now I have a three year old son and he's my motivation to stop this. My drinking snowballs from weekends to every day very easily, just takes a little bit of stress. I'm not ever able to have just one and if I allow myself a beer during the week I know I'm getting trashed. I'm at a point where I don't just have hangovers, my hangovers last 2 days, perhaps withdrawal, I don't know.

It's been difficult to stop in the past because, number one, I felt that I needed it, I felt like this is my personality, this is a part of me and who I am...number two, this is what allll of my friends do. When I've tried to stop I've been very lonely, phone stops ringing, all that.

I feel ready now, I feel like this is the time and I need to do what it takes. I'm a recently single parent, and don't want my son to grow up watching me nurse hangovers and acting like an ass. His father drinks heavily as well and perhaps us not being together anymore is a bigger plus than I expected...no friction between us over drinking. I'm seeing someone now who I don't think will be especially supportive of my sobriety...he doesn't drink but he's quite the pill popper and still has that mind set of, I'm awesome because I'm a tiny girl and I drink like a man. So I know I probably need to let him go. He's married anyway...yet another poor decision I made, getting involved with him...you guessed it...I was drunk and got myself into a situation that spiraled into a full blown affair.

Anyway...extremely anxious for next weekend. It's only Monday, but...it's been years since I've done a sober weekend or an entire sober week. I don't even know what to do with myself.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've made a wise choice to stop drinking. You won't regret it, I promise. No one wakes up sober and says "boy, I wish I'd been drinking last night".

You'll find lots of support here. And in the Newcomers Daily Support forum there's a moms and mums club you can post in. There's also the class of January thread in Newcomers, and the 24 hour thread in Daily Support. There's lots of support from our members.

I'm glad you found us and joined the family.

Don't worry too much about tomorrow or next week. Focus on today. Get thru today sober and worry about tomorrow when it becomes today.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome UV! Congrats on joining and your decision to get sober. We all have different stories to tell, but I can tell you everyone here is very supportive, as we all strive for a common goal. I'm only on my 8th day sober, but I can tell you
this site and the people here are amazing!
Old 01-27-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome UltraViolet

There a ton of support here and a few days to work up a plan for next weekend

Why not join our Class of January support thread too?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-5-a-10.html
D
Old 01-27-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys I'm glad to be here and definitely will join the January thread. Comforting just to know there are supportive people out there, it's definitely needed.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well done on day 3 xxx
Old 01-27-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I'm on day 3 too. You've already been pointed in some fantastic directions. My only thing to add is that the only day you have to worry about is today - not tomorrow or Thursday or the weekend. Just today.

Thanks for being here.